Tuesday, July 20, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, July 20, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, July 20, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE 20th CENTURY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The code name for a historic meeting at this city was Argonaut, after the heroes who searched for the Golden Fleece on the Black Sea

Josh Saak: 17600+2005=19605 (3x = $66,405)
Grace deVuono: 9800-9800=0
Darwin Fu: 2400+0=2400

Correct response:
Spoiler
Yalta (Grace – Tehran)

Daily Doubles
Josh: 3600-2400
Darwin: 2000-2000
Josh: 11400+2600

Coryats
Josh: 19000
Grace: 9800
Darwin: 4400

Combined: 33,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Josh: 2200
Grace: 5800
Darwin: 0
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

LSV has no chance at a pefecto today as TV SHOW EPISODE TITLES has to have at least one he cannot get.

It was funny how Josh more than once got one in that category, switched out, only for Grace to get it right in Josh's chosen category and then go back to TV.

Darwin got J!6 right and Robin's affirmation was, "That's true" which sounded unique to me as I can't ever recall Alex or any guest host ever saying it.

Josh solved yesterday's FJ! clue for double islands but no such luck today on DD1. While DD3 could have been a spot to put the game away, Josh may have been once bitten, twice shy in the category of PARTS OF THE OCEAN. Of course Josh had no way of knowing a DD in a 1600 box would be such a gimme.

The FJ! clue had me match the gentlemen as I had zero reason to keep thinking or to guess anything else. Grace did pick a meeting place though Google shows she was off distance-wise by over 2000 miles.

Grace has some credits on IMDb: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2614846/#writer

Josh is 1+1+1 entering the FJ! round for never trailing and never managing a runaway either. Only Kevin Walsh with L+L+L+L had four of the same of any kind in the first four games from the most recent ToC field while Sam, Ryan H. and Steve had 1+1+1 before the pattern changed in game 4. Sam and Ryan earned locks while Steve had a 2nd going into the FJ! round.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It's finished: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7096

Darwin did a very nice write-up of his experience in the daily thread on Reddit.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I couldn't have had less of a guess on FJ! if I tried. It was just a total word salad to me.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

runs:. 1876, Homonyms, CP&S
Do not EVER have New Yogi Bears again :x :evil:
DDs:. :( :D :D matched with Balearic Islands
trash:. The Hollow Men, Shelley
FJ:. what is Yalta? :mrgreen: Black Sea was the giveaway

Had "Do not go gentle" for "Death be not proud" :oops:
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

In Monday's thread morbeedo wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:51 pm I like the champ and don't mind the bounce, but why ya bouncing back to WAR after the first DD of the round was played?!
Did it again today, too. Never understood why they do that.
davey

Post by davey »

I forgot the category on FJ and also was thinking US-based meetings for some reason, so it took me about :40 to finally see where the clue was going... :oops: I think I might have blanked on the meeting place even if I'd been on the right wavelength to begin with... :roll:
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Anyone else thinking that Darwin Fu sounded like some sort of survival-of-the-fittest martial art? I'm sure he's never heard that one before :lol:

I was utterly shocked that there was a category as specific as 1876, and no clue, J!6 included, even referenced the most controversial presidential election we have ever had as a country. I was poised and prepared to respond with "Who is Rutherford B. Hayes?" or "Who is Samuel Tilden?" if they really felt like challenging the contestants, but I was left wanting. :(

FJ pointed me straight to Yalta before Robin finished reading, and I spent all 30 seconds trying to find something better, fortunately to no avail.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

42R. 4/4 on big clues. Had to play the first 10 clues off the archive because of pre-emption or something. I don't really understand why. At least the basketball is over for this season.

For some reason I froze on Aaron Copland and also The Golden Girls.

It seems like Josh really knows his trivia and has the buzzer down but he doesn't bet enough on daily doubles. Would have been a lock-tie (or whatever it's called) today if he rang in with "Death be not proud."

Don't know if I've ever heard of a jag as a fit of emotion. Grace the writer got that one.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are Timothy Elephant (Timothy Olyphant), Starling K. Brown (Sterling K. Brown), The Hollow Men, Lead Belly, and baobab.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Basketball coverage and other related programming ate up the first 10 clues in LA, even with the preempted time slot (which is still better than what the NBA finals have done in previous years). Thanks to the Archive for providing what I missed.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Darwin from the Reddit thread wrote: Reading the recaps, I’m glad that other people noticed Josh’s great buzzer speed as well. When I was in the audience for rehearsal and the first taping (Monday 7/19 game), I noticed Josh was buzzing in early but still consistently getting in first. Thinking back, I’m wondering if a strategy is to buzz in at a 0.25 second cadence and not worry about the clue finishing/light activating.Assuming the lockout is not additive (two early buzzes = lockout ends 0.25 seconds after the second buzz), you’re still guaranteed to ring in within 0.25 seconds of the light activating. This will beat out a contestant reacting to the light with a 0.25 - 0.30 second reaction time. I didn’t get to test this idea which leads to my second point...
https://old.reddit.com/r/Jeopardy/comme ... ue_jul_20/

Is this correct?

I thought the buzzer worked so that you if you rang in early you would be locked out for the first 0.25 seconds after the light turned on. He is saying that if you buzz in early you are locked out for 0.25 seconds from when you buzz in - so if you buzz in 0.24 seconds early you can ring in 0.01 seconds after the light turns on.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
davey

Post by davey »

MattKnowles wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:49 am
Don't know if I've ever heard of a jag as a fit of emotion. Grace the writer got that one.
That was a puzzling clue. A crying jag is an expression so it was an easy get, but I've never heard of a laughing jag, or an angry jag or any other emotion attached to it. And I might say a sharp edge was jagged, but I'd never call it a jag...
Nor did I know a mynah bird is anything like a starling...
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

After furiously shouting at my brain to STOP THINKING IT'S MALTA over and over I finally had the similarity click into place for the solve.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I had to watch this on YouTube because of out of town night work. Just one clue after the one about Amazon, my feed was interrupted by an Amazon ad.

Got FJ on a guess of a famous 20th century meeting although the code word didn’t really lead me to anything in particular.
yclept

Post by yclept »

I was screaming at my TV for Grace to not ring in on that final clue and hope that Josh does. Perhaps they were both, even in the heat of the moment, looking at the possible score if Josh rang in and got it right.Dunno if Josh goes for the winning wager or the “ I think I can beat her in a buzzer contest” wager in that scenario. In the end, it obviously did not matter.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:47 pm LSV has no chance at a pefecto today as TV SHOW EPISODE TITLES has to have at least one he cannot get.
I think I felt today (with a one day delay) how you felt about The Knick. One beat after Watchmen's episode titles, "Yeah, no one's getting that one."
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:58 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:47 pm LSV has no chance at a pefecto today as TV SHOW EPISODE TITLES has to have at least one he cannot get.
I think I felt today (with a one day delay) how you felt about The Knick. One beat after Watchmen's episode titles, "Yeah, no one's getting that one."
I got it because once you hear it, that first title is just one you never forget.
jboardfan
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by jboardfan »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:55 pm It's finished: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7096

Darwin did a very nice write-up of his experience in the daily thread on Reddit.
Thank you, Mark. The nice write-up led me to a write-up by the first responder, who created word clouds for about 1500 Pavlov clues. The six he shared (starting with Solomon, Chopin, Eisenhower...) made me want to see more. He has the archive (and archivists - that's you!) to thank for providing the data.

https://colindavy.medium.com/how-i-won- ... e9b52a1958