Wednesday, July 21, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, July 21, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, July 21, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AFRICAN MONARCHS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Some devotees of this emperor who died in 1975 trace his lineage to King Solomon & the Queen of Sheba

Josh Saak: 19800+5005=24805
Elizabeth Devereaux: 12400-12130=270
Matt Amodio: 20200+20200=40400 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Haile Selassie (Elizabeth – Emperor)

Daily Doubles
Matt: 1800+1800
Elizabeth: 3400+3400
Josh: 9000+6000

Coryats
Josh: 15000
Elizabeth: 10200
Matt: 19200

Combined: 44,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Josh: 5000
Elizabeth: 3400
Matt: 7400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Matt and the escalators reminded me of the ones I've experienced with combinations of height or steepness or length at Candlestick Park and Moscone Center. So different than a basic two level one at a mall.

Josh only has himself to blame for losing though all the credit to Matt for quickly pushing his score to the lead without the benefit of DDs in the DJ! round. There is no way of knowing how much money Josh cost himself while it's $38K at the minimum. One less error, a little more on DD3 or perhaps even the DJ! round playing to completion.

What an awful time for the time's up signal after clue 29 and a 400 difference. Hate that. I just have to imagine that Matt gets clue 30 or if Josh gets it then Matt wins the tiebreaker.

The FJ! clue had me again match the gentlemen for the solve. If not that guy, then who? It's not like I have a long Rolodex of names to pick from on that kind of material.

Matt has two wagers and both were the farm. 3/3 or more tomorrow? We'll see.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It's complete: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7098

This is one of those game where the show scores are worth a look as well for how fast things can change: https://www.j-archive.com/showscores.php?game_id=7098
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Looks like the change that mattered most was on the last clue of DJ!
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

I wonder if Josh knew he was guessing on Sondheim/ALW or just brain-farted. Maybe he figured that, on a $400 clue, one of the others would get in first and get it right if he didn't try? Seems like a silly/unfortunate way to end his run. Props to Matt.

Not a good day for the captioner. Lee for Leigh is understandable; Euro for zero is not.

Close to a teen-level FJ!. It seems that difficult-sounding FJ! categories are more likely to have easy clues.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I don't ever do precalls for FJ, but when the list of African Monarchs I can name is exactly 1, I made an exception. :)
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

econgator wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:28 pm I don't ever do precalls for FJ, but when the list of African Monarchs I can name is exactly 1, I made an exception. :)
Same here, but I did give a small consideration to King Mohammed of Morocco. This was about an easy of a precall as there can be in this game.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Also, shout out to all the other boardies who watch Only Connect from across the pond, making MATH IN THE OLD DAYS for $2000 a slam dunk.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Once again, only "half knowing" things. I know there is something called Haile Selassie, but never bothered to learn who or what that actually is.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

There has just been some horrible clue writing lately. :x Matched the contestant response of Slavery for the Bible 400,. and responded man on the moon for Guaranteed 400.
:D :D :D on DDs.
Of course I ran Math in the Old Days :geek:
Who is Haile Selassie? :mrgreen: instaget
Last edited by DBear on Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

A highly impressive victory by Matt, who absorbed a $6,000 DD and another he didn’t hit and still found a way with the FJ solve and cover. Don’t understand the wager from third at all. But a really well played game.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
davey

Post by davey »

Shaka Zulu?? Maybe the only other African monarch they might possibly ask for, unless they would go back to the Queen of Sheba...Come to think of it, reversing the clue might have made for a (slightly) harder clue (Haile Selassie traced his lineage back to Solomon and this queen...Or ...to this possibly legendary queen)
Last edited by davey on Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

35R. 4/4 on big clues. Once I saw the FJ I remembered Lesotho/Morocco/Eswatini were the three monarchies in Africa but couldn't name the monarchs. I also wondered if they would ask about Mansa Musa whose name comes up in popular media sometimes.

Lots of tough clues for me and plenty of new stuff to learn. I finally got Scarpetta so that's cool.

I missed rotations and said internships. Missed Cyprus and said Greece. Missed McDaniel and said Leigh. Missed Circle of Friends and said Trinity.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are osteopathic doctors, Locked Out of Heaven, Belafonte, Pickleball, and aspic.

Sorry for sounding like a broken record - Josh should have followed my rule of thumb.

My rule of thumb: always bet the maximum on the J round DD and always bet the maximum on the DJ round DD if you find it on the first 8 clues. Don't even think about wagering until the last 22 clues of the game. That leaves plenty of time to catch up in case you miss.

Congrats to Josh for his previous wins and congrats to Matt for the win today. Fun games to watch.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Poll request on "life list" if there's room. Google suggests it is common in the birdwatching world, which is foreign to me.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Also acceptable for tonight's FJ: King of Kings, Lord of Lords. Conquering Lion of the Tribe of Judah. Selassie I the First. Jah, Rastafari.
yclept

Post by yclept »

Picked Off wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:47 pm A highly impressive victory by Matt, who absorbed a $6,000 DD and another he didn’t hit and still found a way with the FJ solve and cover. Don’t understand the wager from third at all. But a really well played game.
If she assumes that Josh is going to bet to cover her double-up, a big wager seems OK here? She can’t win on a triple stumper if Josh simply bets to beat her double up (which he did), so she went big. Maybe she could have bet smaller in the event that Josh doesn’t do that, but I don’t see her wager as bad. She was simply in a position where her chance to win came down to a sole get against two buzzsaws.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

No smugness from me. I would have sworn 1969 was the year of our victory in Vietnam.

I was hoping Robin would ask Josh whether Fisk ever tried to sway his drives on the links with body English. I guess I'll never know now.

Rather an abrupt end to the DJ round. It reminded me of a soccer game.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

econgator wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:28 pm I don't ever do precalls for FJ, but when the list of African Monarchs I can name is exactly 1, I made an exception. :)
That was me as well.

I was hoping we’d have another TDD on DD3. Guess Josh wishes he had.