Wednesday, July 21, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: Wednesday, July 21, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by alietr »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:45 pm Matt and the escalators reminded me of the ones I've experienced with combinations of height or steepness or length at Candlestick Park and Moscone Center. So different than a basic two level one at a mall.
I'm pretty sure I know which escalator he's talking about, and yeah it is really long. It's the one I used to use every day when I commuted by Metro. I'd jog up it in the morning and race down it in the evening. As long as the people standing stayed right, like they're supposed to.
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:57 pm This is one of those game where the show scores are worth a look as well for how fast things can change: https://www.j-archive.com/showscores.php?game_id=7098
Matt flatlined starting DJ, then woke up and went on a tear. I was surprised he managed to get himself back into the game.
yclept
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by yclept »

It is amazing how one little $400 clue is the difference between Josh never being seen again and Josh probably being a real contender in a TOC setting. The fortunes of contestants on Jeopardy often do include the luck factor. I looked through Buzzy’s run again the other day - he could have easily lost early in his run (but he didn’t, so all credit to him for that!) Now? He is a TOC winner, a TOC host, and probably somewhere on the list of consideration for permanent host.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

yclept wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:37 am It is amazing how one little $400 clue is the difference between Josh never being seen again and Josh probably being a real contender in a TOC setting. The fortunes of contestants on Jeopardy often do include the luck factor. I looked through Buzzy’s run again the other day - he could have easily lost early in his run (but he didn’t, so all credit to him for that!) Now? He is a TOC winner, a TOC host, and probably somewhere on the list of consideration for permanent host.
The prime example of this is Ken. If they'd ruled against "Jones", he wouldn't have won even one game and nobody would know who he is.
Leander

Post by Leander »

While the final clue seemed critical in yesterday’s game, it only becomes critical as a result of a lot of other answers. One that struck me as being almost as off base as the Sondheim answer was Josh’s response of “Leigh” for the GWTW actress Whoopi Goldberg hosted a documentary about. That one cost him $1600. I might not have remembered her name, but I would have been pretty sure it was not going to be Vivien Leigh.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Leander wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:55 am While the final clue seemed critical in yesterday’s game, it only becomes critical as a result of a lot of other answers. One that struck me as being almost as off base as the Sondheim answer was Josh’s response of “Leigh” for the GWTW actress Whoopi Goldberg hosted a documentary about. That one cost him $1600. I might not have remembered her name, but I would have been pretty sure it was not going to be Vivien Leigh.
I think it shows how difficult it is to be a ToC player. Josh had the chops, but an off game with a couple bad guesses did him in.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Leander wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:55 am While the final clue seemed critical in yesterday’s game, it only becomes critical as a result of a lot of other answers. One that struck me as being almost as off base as the Sondheim answer was Josh’s response of “Leigh” for the GWTW actress Whoopi Goldberg hosted a documentary about. That one cost him $1600. I might not have remembered her name, but I would have been pretty sure it was not going to be Vivien Leigh.
I missed the part about Whoopi. That was a big hint the subject was likely a black actress.

You could probably comb through a lot of TOCers’ games and find a spot where one clue could have eliminated them early if it had gone the other way.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:34 am Also acceptable for tonight's FJ: King of Kings, Lord of Lords. Conquering Lion of the Tribe of Judah. Selassie I the First. Jah, Rastafari.
Don't forget Time Magazine Man of the Year in 1935.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:05 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:45 pm Matt and the escalators reminded me of the ones I've experienced with combinations of height or steepness or length at Candlestick Park and Moscone Center. So different than a basic two level one at a mall.
I'm pretty sure I know which escalator he's talking about, and yeah it is really long. It's the one I used to use every day when I commuted by Metro. I'd jog up it in the morning and race down it in the evening. As long as the people standing stayed right, like they're supposed to.
I'm guessing the Rosslyn Station? When I visited DC back in 2012 I stayed at a hotel around the corner from this station and I remember it taking a few minutes to get from bottom to top.
Fleeboy

Post by Fleeboy »

The Rosslyn escalator is 207 feet long, but the one at the Wheaton exit in Bethesda checks in at 230 feet.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:58 pm

You could probably comb through a lot of TOCers’ games and find a spot where one clue could have eliminated them early if it had gone the other way.
There's also the luck factor of who gets called on what day. Had Jason Zuffranieri been called up on Monday or Tuesday, either he doesn't go on his long streak, or Sam Kavanaugh doesn't win five games.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

58 R (Could not tell you any Franz Ferdinand songs.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I laughed out loud at Matt's misparsing the question about rumination into chewing. I was surprised at the radio Silence from Matt for most of the double jeopardy round. He only got back into the game when there were mostly only high-value Clues left and he went after most of them.

Guessing Sondheim for Andrew Lloyd Webber's most iconic musicals would have gotten an "oh no!" from Alex.

The question about Barbarians at the Gate is emblematic of how the writing has gone downhill lately. It seems to have been written by someone who is not familiar with the book, the movie, or the corporate takeover battle that they are about. It's one thing for someone to write a bad clue, but it used to be pretty rare for a bad clue to get past the entire team of writers. Nabisco did not "fall"; it was part of a larger company that was foolishly put in play by its executives and then taken over by rivals.

Instaget of my precall of Selassie. My favorite story about him was how they created a very special pen for the Montreal World's Fair that all of the world leaders in attendance were going to use to sign some special document, and then the jeweled pen would then be presented to Queen Elizabeth. Selassie converted that pen for himself.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:42 pm 58 R (Could not tell you any Franz Ferdinand songs.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
The writers finally managed to take you out.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

It's astounding how close we came to never seeing Matt again. Had Josh gotten that one last $400 clue right...
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Ironhorse wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:22 am It's astounding how close we came to never seeing Matt again. Had Josh gotten that one last $400 clue right...
Josh had a lock as late as DJ13. Matt had a great comeback.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:04 am
Ironhorse wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:22 am It's astounding how close we came to never seeing Matt again. Had Josh gotten that one last $400 clue right...
I don't think you can really count it that way. A lock has to consider MLOB (money left on board).

A relatively new Archive feature that nobody's noticed yet (and that I haven't advertised) is that the Show Scores page will actually indicate at which clue a player had a lock.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:00 pm
I don't think you can really count it that way. A lock has to consider MLOB (money left on board).
I get that, just pointing out he had a big lead in the middle of DJ.

A relatively new Archive feature that nobody's noticed yet (and that I haven't advertised) is that the Show Scores page will actually indicate at which clue a player had a lock.
Sounds cool.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:00 pm

If play wasn't finished, I take "had a lock" to refer to the scores at that point in the game without reference to whether the lock could be lost or not. So for me at least, Bamaman's statement landed exactly as intended. But it's also interesting--and harder to calculate, so kudos to having the archive do what computers do best--when the player has enough of a lock that a lock is a lock. But there are two ways of calculating that. An "effective lock", shall we say, is one where first place can put down the buzzer and still win. A "hard lock" is a lock where the second place player has no chance EVEN IF FIRST PLACE RINGS IN AND MISSES EVERY REMAINING CLUE. I'm guessing the archive is showing the effective lock rather than the hard lock? I don't feel like doing the calculations. If that's so, there will be games in the Archive where a player is noted as having a lock, only to lose that lock and, in some cases, regain it. I'd be interested to see what that looks like if anyone can jog my memory as to a game where that happened.

Here's a recent locked game if anyone wants to see the nifty new feature. Well done Robert (or whoever coded that)!

https://www.j-archive.com/showscores.php?game_id=7117

Also? Lock. The word has temporarily lost all meaning. Lock lock lock lock lock lock lock.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Can someone explain the color scheme? In the game Opud linked, all scores are white through DJ10. Then Matt is blue through DJ14. Then green for two clues. Then yellow through DJ20 and red the rest of the game.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:07 pm Can someone explain the color scheme? In the game Opud linked, all scores are white through DJ10. Then Matt is blue through DJ14. Then green for two clues. Then yellow through DJ20 and red the rest of the game.
Dear Bananaman,

The traditional way to passive-aggressively misspell my name is "Opurt".

Thank you,

OtP