Thursday, July 22, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, July 22, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, July 22, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
1970s MOVIE SCENES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Writer Dan O’Bannon based a scene in this film on his own Crohn’s disease, which felt like things inside him fighting to get out

Matt Amodio: 31000+10000=41000 (2x = $81,400)
Rekha Rajkumar: 9600-4500=5100
Pete Wisniewski: minus 400

Correct response:
Spoiler
Alien (Rekha – The Exorcist)

Daily Doubles
Rekha: 5000-2000
Matt: 18600+4000
Matt: 24600+2000

Coryats
Matt: 28200
Rekha: 11600
Pete: minus 400

Combined: 39,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Matt: 9400
Rekha: 4800
Pete: 400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Robin mentioned it would have been Alex Trebek's 81st birthday today. Alex would have loved the big pay day.

Rekha's guess on DD1 did not fit the category. I wonder if she forgot it was HOWARD'S END or if she just threw out a guess to have something? The clue is certainly easier when paying attention to the category which DD time allows enough of a pause to do it.

No surprise that Matt had an even better game today with Josh dispatched. It has not taken long to get Alex Jacob vibes in watching Matt.

The FJ! category had me thinking movies from the decade that J! likes and I figured Exorcist, Godfather and Cuckoo's Nest were a good starting point. What I should have done was respect the category more and just done years and movie scenes instead of only thinking of films from that decade.

Perhaps the LL mini league will give me a chance for redemption before it's over.

The FJ! clue had me thinking like Rekha and I matched her. I crossed it out since I was pretty sure the author also did the screenplay. To me "fighting to get out" could mean a lot of things and I had no great inspiration for what to write.

To avoid a blank page I wrote "The Elephant Man" in thinking something in the disease area. Crohn's did not sound right for what Merrick had, but I had nothing better.

When I saw Matt's response I knew instantly that had to be right and then I could only laugh more at my incorrect response for the performance coincidence. The clue is fine as written and it's not like I have the right to have the year or director mentioned. It's just the kind of thing that can get me in thirty seconds even when I've seen the right picture more than once.

Great 2-day total by Matt and I probably do not needed to take off a sock to count how many J! champs have that much in their opening two days. Karl Coryat had $42,400 old values for one I checked on.
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

Had Scanners for FJ based on the scene where the guy's head exploded. Was that film THAT old?!?!?!?!?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Golf

Post by Golf »

MDCSWildcats86 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:49 pm Had Scanners for FJ based on the scene where the guy's head exploded. Was that film THAT old?!?!?!?!?
Used to play a trivia game where you had to give the exact year various movies came out. Helps a ton with clues like this.

Scanners was 1981, The Elephant Man was 1980. Easy to forget the original Alien was 1979 because the other three were so much later. 1986,92,97.

I had Jaws in my head for a precall, thought anything Star Wars related would be too easy.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:44 pm Rekha's guess on DD1 did not fit the category. I wonder if she forgot it was HOWARD'S END or if she just threw out a guess to have something? The clue is certainly easier when paying attention to the category which DD time allows enough of a pause to do it.
Tony's father's name was Howard. I would bet she didn't know that, though.

I said Alien as a joke, figuring if I couldn't be right I could at least be funny.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Instaget FJ. It's one of my all-time favorite movies and I know Dan O'Bannon wrote the screenplay.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Faulkner kept me from a Perfecto in the J! round
Easy boards left no opportunity for trash pickup.
DDs:. :D :D :D
FJ was a WECIB :mrgreen:, IMO but wasn't sure of the date. A bit misleading IMO to call it a '70s movie.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

OK, cue the "Twilight Zone" theme music.

Just before this evening's game, I was watching an old movie on AMC despite having seen it before. Had to cut away and miss the last 1/2 hour to catch J!.

The flick? Yep. Alien.

Wish all the FJs could be this insta….
davey

Post by davey »

econgator wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:30 pm Instaget FJ. It's one of my all-time favorite movies and I know Dan O'Bannon wrote the screenplay.
Neither of those is true for me and I probably would have said it came out in '80 or '81 but I still thought it was about as obvious as could be... :)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

DBear wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:09 pm A bit misleading IMO to call it a '70s movie.
It released in May '79. How is that misleading? It would be misleading to call it anything else.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

I was with Rekha and guessed The Exorcist...although I recently saw that film on cable and didn't remember the name O'Bannon in the writing credits.

Matt is an impressive champion with a seemingly deep knowledge base and by eliminating the higher-valued clues, he makes it difficult for challengers to catch him once he gets the lead.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Matt is getting his PhD in AI. Presumably why he was hunting in the likeliest spots. He also has an interesting affectation of answering with "What" or "What's" each time, no matter whether the response is a person, place, or thing. I can only surmise he does that so he has one less thing to think about up there.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Instaget FJ! Love that movie.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

alietr wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:01 pm Matt is getting his PhD in AI. Presumably why he was hunting in the likeliest spots. He also has an interesting affectation of answering with "What" or "What's" each time, no matter whether the response is a person, place, or thing. I can only surmise he does that so he has one less thing to think about up there.
I picked up on that on one of the clues. He also offers the minimum answer - I thought he'd be negged on the Amazon clue but he had time to follow up with rain forest.
He is very machine like in delivery (disclaimer - I missed his first ep). He responded to the emo clue like his dog had just died which would have been funny as a joke. But, it was just his normal cadence.
And he has 80K in winnings in two days - scary as an Alien burst.

I got FJ without any angst about the year or other choices, because I didn't have any. I avoid horror and thriller movies, but the meme is plenty famous for me to know what to guess.
I've never heard anyone with Crohn's describe such acute symptoms. It is a miserable disease for sure.

I am amazed there were only two unplayed clues. The interview segment seemed very long times 3.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

alietr wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:01 pm Matt is getting his PhD in AI. Presumably why he was hunting in the likeliest spots. He also has an interesting affectation of answering with "What" or "What's" each time, no matter whether the response is a person, place, or thing. I can only surmise he does that so he has one less thing to think about up there.
Interesting surmise. When I need one less thing to think about, I ordinarily omit the correct response. But that's just me....
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

First two games:
- Garrett Simpson: $18,300 + $25,500 (pre-doubling)
- Bob Blake: $13,000 + $27,800 (pre-doubling)
- Mark Born: $14,999 + $29,400 (pre-doubling)
- Al Badger: $19,400 + $21,800 (pre-doubling)
- Jerome Vered: $24,000 + $16,401 (pre-doubling)
- Mike Boyd: $21,601 + $18,401 (pre-doubling)
- Matt Handel: $23,400 + $17,001 (pre-doubling)
- Karl Coryat: $16,300 + $26,100 (pre-doubling)
- John Skelton: $10,000 + $31,000 (pre-doubling)
- Doug Lach: $15,900 + $32,600 (pre-doubling)
- Larissa Kelly: $45,200 + $35,400
- Roger Craig: $37,000 + $77,000
- Mark Runsvold: $48,000 + $55,000
- Chris Fleitas: $38,900 + $44,001
- James Holzhauer: $43,680 + $38,926
- Matt Amodio: $40,400 + $41,000

I suspect that the post-doubling portion is a comprehensive list of players who cleared $80,000 in their first two games. Correct me if I'm wrong (and feel free to add other pre-doubling folks who cleared $40k in their first two games if you know of any). Only Mark Runsvold and Matt Amodio actually broke $40k in both games.

edit: I'm actually several edits in, but this is the first since more posts were added to this thread, which means the annotation that this has been edited will now show up. Anyway, I got one more pre-doubled $40k from an old cheezguyty post. I overlooked Jerome because I was only thinking about his $34,000, which I knew was in his fourth game; he also had a pretty big first game. edit again: Thanks to cheezguyty for providing the names and scores of Al Badger and Mike Boyd. I think I've got everyone in chronological order.

I thought Rekha was solid, but it seemed like the DD miss killed her momentum. I also said Jagannath, but with understandably inauthentic pronunciation.
Last edited by seaborgium on Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

41R. 3/4 on big clues. Missed Howard the Duck. I've seen the Crohn's Disease/Alien trivia somewhere before so no problem on that one.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are The Borrowers, Alger, retina, Tommy (Roe/James), and Jagannath.

Matt Amodio is playing very well.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.