Friday, July 23, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

CailinGaoilge
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Re: Friday, July 23, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CailinGaoilge »

Fitzwilliam Darcy. Instaget before the think music even started - got it as soon as I saw "estate in Derbyshire".

Robin is new to me and I thought she did a good job, though sadly will probably end up in the large group of "can't really remember them" guest hosts. I'm ready for a permanent host - enough of the carousel, thanks.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

38R. 2/4 on big clues. I thought Antony and Cleopatra began with the Battle of Actium and so I picked the play that came before it, Julius Caesar. For FJ it took me a while but I came up with Darcy after time ran out. I wrote Tom Jones to have something before time ran out.

Matt Amodio is going to be difficult to beat. He is very steady and consistent. The other contestants need to play aggressively to beat him and not wait for him to give it away. I agree with what Mark wrote at the beginning of the thread.

Have other contestants played through the fourth row the way Matt Amodio is doing it? I've seen a heat map for daily doubles and it's clear that he is going for daily doubles but I don't remember seeing anybody else go after the fourth row this aggressively.

Cop shows are a known weak category for me. I have plans to improve that but will have to do it a little later.

The Esperanto clue had me looking at the characters and thinking "Czech" instead of looking at the "introduced in 1900" part which would have been more helpful.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are North Carolina, braking, Egypt, Rousseau, and Monument Valley.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

It appears that Matt needs to be challenged to bet big. He left quite a bit of money on the table in DD3 and FJ tonight, but still won in dominant fashion. FJ was a tossup between Darcy and Heathcliff until I focused on the word proud. Clever writing.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

CyrusChan wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:27 pm right book but wrong guy . I'm sure Robin Roberts got it....
oh in the champ's case, right guy but wrong book.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

I shoulda had this FJ, it was all right there. I matched others here with Heathcliffe.

Still went 18/20 on wagering clues this week after going 19/20 last week. I'm really in nice groove these last 10 games. Bring on Geordi.

There is no doubt Matt is playing unbelievably well. His bounce strategy is sufficiently shutting out his opponents and he's doing appropriate DD hunting in the DJ round. His wagering on them this game was absolutely fine, and this is coming from someone who is always getting on contestants for being too conservative. With the lead he had in DJ, he had reached critical mass as far as score, and didn't need to do anything crazy.

As for how to beat him? It really is as simple and as difficult as "beat him to the buzzer". I'm sure all these opponents have the chops to get most of these clues, but only one person gets to answer. As someone who has played many competitive mock games, beating someone strong is all about board control and proper clue selection. As Mark said in his post, $400 clues and clues in categories where the DD has already been found is just not good enough to win against Matt. Time will tell on who will eventually step up and do it.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I was frustrated by Matt's later bets, particularly when both his opponents were below $2,000, and by his opponents' tendencies toward the top of the board.

Not frustrating was getting FJ. I was trying to think of Dickens characters for most of the music, and then my first effort to take my mind elsewhere made me think of Mr. Darcy (though I wasn't sure whether his name included an apostrophe). This concludes, if I'm not mistaken, my first 5/5 week of FJ in a good while. edit: last 5/5 was the first week of the ToC, two months ago.
Last edited by seaborgium on Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
davey

Post by davey »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:50 pm Credit to Rachel for getting the closest of the three players.
I'd say Matt's response was closest. Rochester has a large estate. Mr. Bennet decidedly does not, which is why his daughters' marrying well is a major concern of the novel (and all its myriad adaptations). Matt just missed the significance of "proud" in the clue. (Not that Rochester couldn't be described that way too.) I started with Rochester but luckily got the right idea in time.
davey

Post by davey »

DBear wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:35 pm
A good host would keep the game moving, getting to all the clues, & not let Matt get away with "What Schwarzenegger". :idea:
There's a clear pause between What's and Schwarzenegger in Matt's delivery. Though there'd be nothing wrong with questioning What Schwarzenegger? either.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

davey wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:28 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:50 pm Credit to Rachel for getting the closest of the three players.
I'd say Matt's response was closest. Rochester has a large estate. Mr. Bennet decidedly does not, which is why his daughters' marrying well is a major concern of the novel (and all its myriad adaptations). Matt just missed the significance of "proud" in the clue. (Not that Rochester couldn't be described that way too.) I started with Rochester but luckily got the right idea in time.
I know little beyond Rochester with Jane Eyre, P&P with Bennet and S&S with Dashwood. My thinking was Rachel gets the nod since she had someone from the correct book.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

From a sense of duty, I finished "Pride and Prejudice" about 20 years after it was assigned. I guess I should have waited a bit longer. I went with Tess after considering Pecksniff.

I'm not complaining, but it seems that they've upped their expectations of the players' literary erudition of late. I mean by not narrowing down the categories further.

I was hoping to see my own emblem of belief, but maybe next time. It looks something like this:
emblem.jpg
emblem.jpg (16.93 KiB) Viewed 1509 times
I'm smart and I want respect.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I read P&P about a year ago so that helped. Roberts dressed nicely today. It seemed like a slow game today but I was stuck watching it on YouTube because the Olympics hogged that time period.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

econgator wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:33 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:50 pm I wrote Heathcliff to have something as it's not as if I have read or seen anything that would have helped me have a better idea on the clue.
Same here. I can see the path from "proud" to Pride and Prejudice, but even if I had made the connection, I still wouldn't have come up with Darcy.
Here's one more for the same reasons as Mark. I was thinking of the FJ! John McCain lost on during the clue read.
Golf

Post by Golf »

cinemaniax7 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:11 pm I also like the fact that Matt makes relatively aggressive wagers that are highly defensible from a probability standpoint.
BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:25 pm His bounce strategy is sufficiently shutting out his opponents and he's doing appropriate DD hunting in the DJ round. His wagering on them this game was absolutely fine, and this is coming from someone who is always getting on contestants for being too conservative. With the lead he had in DJ, he had reached critical mass as far as score, and didn't need to do anything crazy.
His wager on the last DD was actually not too good, he didn't need to wager anything but the minimum $5. As played out, a minimum wager forces Rachel to get $6000 of the remaining $6800 to avoid a lockout while John has to claim all $6800. A miss on his $3000 wager reduces that number to $4800 for both, a number John came close to reaching. A correct response with $3000 still doesn't lock out either challenger with the total remaining on the board.

The interesting thing about buzzer dominance is that you should be playing defense on DD's rather than offense. The only way to lose is if a challenger finds one and doubles up.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I knew "proud" was the key word, but still didn't make the connection to Pride and Prejudice. Seems so obvious in retrospect. I put down the Mayor of Casterbridge.

Robin did a great job. She was enthusiastic and wins the award for sartorial excellence as far as I'm concerned.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Golf wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:35 am
cinemaniax7 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:11 pm I also like the fact that Matt makes relatively aggressive wagers that are highly defensible from a probability standpoint.
BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:25 pm His bounce strategy is sufficiently shutting out his opponents and he's doing appropriate DD hunting in the DJ round. His wagering on them this game was absolutely fine, and this is coming from someone who is always getting on contestants for being too conservative. With the lead he had in DJ, he had reached critical mass as far as score, and didn't need to do anything crazy.
His wager on the last DD was actually not too good, he didn't need to wager anything but the minimum $5. As played out, a minimum wager forces Rachel to get $6000 of the remaining $6800 to avoid a lockout while John has to claim all $6800. A miss on his $3000 wager reduces that number to $4800 for both, a number John came close to reaching. A correct response with $3000 still doesn't lock out either challenger with the total remaining on the board.

The interesting thing about buzzer dominance is that you should be playing defense on DD's rather than offense. The only way to lose is if a challenger finds one and doubles up.
“As played out” was not info available to him at the time he made that wager. There was 9600 left on the board and his competitor needed 6600 to get back into contention.

To know the optimum wager you need to know his get rate on DDs and FJ, the get/buzz-in rate for his opponents for the remaining clues and how they’ll split them between the two, the number of clues that will be played, and the order the clues are picked in if they’re not all played. It is not possible to know the exact best wager - it changes depending on what assumptions you make.

His wager was fine. He had a very high chance to win on that scenario and whether a 3000 or 5 dollar wager supports that chance more is unknowable.

He did not wager big enough to secure the lockout but he wagered big enough to guard against many other unlikely scenarios.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
yclept

Post by yclept »

Matt is an Alex Jacob type. Jacob would bet big when needed. But he was often methodical and, IIRC, he didn’t go crazy on late Daily Doubles.

Interesting that Matt is different than James in clue choice strategy: He likes to go for the $800/$1,600 rows instead of $1,000/$2,000. Wonder why that is.

Hard to criticize much regardless as 3x/$100,000+ Is impressive. I am rooting hard for a 4th win because he is a TOC-worthy player and I would love to see him lock that in.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Darn, darn, and triple-darn. A single letter cost me a rare 5/5 week. I conflated the British pronunciation of "Derbyshire" in an old film with the character's name, and wound up with "Mr. Darby" instead of Darcy.

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:50 pm The first way to counteract Matt's big edge is to try to keep DDs out of his hands. Top box picks or picks in categories that already had a DD don't cut it. If he likes to play with a slight deliberate style then try to up the rhythm of the game.
John caught on to that but Rachel never did. Several times after she answered correctly, my wife and I were both yelling "Don't go top box" at the TV screen but I guess Rachel couldn't hear us. We'll yell louder next time

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:50 pmWell done by Robin in her five games. She has done a lot in her career and the J! experience will always rank high for her list of accomplishments.
Robin was fun this week. Her enthusiasm and glee made for some very entertaining games. Instead of just impartially conducting the game, she seemed to be rooting for the players to do well and her delight in correct answers was obvious and uplifting. It would be interesting to know how the players felt about her hosting.

Though physical appearance is way down on the importance list, my wife and I both thought she had a GREAT wardrobe.

Robin is the first and so far only of the one-week hosts that we would like to have seen come back for a second week.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

AFRET CMS wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:22 pm Though physical appearance is way down on the importance list, my wife and I both thought she had a GREAT wardrobe.
Yes, clear standout in this regard.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

yclept wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:47 pm Matt is an Alex Jacob type. Jacob would bet big when needed. But he was often methodical and, IIRC, he didn’t go crazy on late Daily Doubles.

Interesting that Matt is different than James in clue choice strategy: He likes to go for the $800/$1,600 rows instead of $1,000/$2,000. Wonder why that is.

Hard to criticize much regardless as 3x/$100,000+ Is impressive. I am rooting hard for a 4th win because he is a TOC-worthy player and I would love to see him lock that in.
Historically, the highest DD likelihood is in the fourth row.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I don't know if it was just my DVR or the TV station in the Cleveland market, but this episode cut to commercial early twice, immediately after the correct response at J! Round clue 15 and then about 1 second into the LeVar Burton promo before Final.