Friday, July 23, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, July 23, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, July 23, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
LITERARY CHARACTERS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This owner of a large estate in Derbyshire is described as "proud" at least half a dozen times

Matt Amodio: 28000-8000=20000 (3x = $101,400)
John Roberson: 9400-4000=5400
Rachel Vanarsdall: 6600-3000=3600

Correct response:
Spoiler
Mr. Darcy (Matt – Rochester) (John – Prudence) (Rachel – Mr. Bennett)

Daily Doubles
Matt: 4000+4000
Matt: 12200+4000
Matt: 23000+3000

Coryats
Matt: 21600
John: 9400
Rachel: 6600

Combined: 37,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Matt: 10200
John: 1400
Rachel: 1800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

AP will join me with a chuckle that there was a Subaru clue today even though 16000 combined Coryat for the challengers is not terrible when compared to yesterday.

Matt has enough buzzer and knowledge skill to go along with DD conversion (6 for 6) to make it tough for opponents. The dings on Matt are incorrect responses and pace being slow enough to allow clues not played.

The first way to counteract Matt's big edge is to try to keep DDs out of his hands. Top box picks or picks in categories that already had a DD don't cut it. If he likes to play with a slight deliberate style then try to up the rhythm of the game.

Matt now gets to rest away from the studio before returning as the man with 3x and six figures. That gets the attention of the others in the taping pool immediately. Some will have themselves defeated even before stepping on the stage. Others will have to adapt to perhaps playing the game differently than they may have at first anticipated.

What Matt won't have is Robin reading clues as now it goes to LeVar Burton. For some players it would not make a difference who is at the host's lectern while for others it can somehow change things.

Well done by Robin in her five games. She has done a lot in her career and the J! experience will always rank high for her list of accomplishments.

The FJ! clue had me getting no better on the hint of "proud" than to Peacock. Useless and I felt I was at the point of picking someone from Bronte, Austen or not nearly as likely, Dickens.

I wrote Heathcliff to have something as it's not as if I have read or seen anything that would have helped me have a better idea on the clue.

If I had properly processed the hint to get the right work I would have had a fighting chance at the clue as I have heard of the correct response and I would have known not to match Matt's incorrect response. Credit to Rachel for getting the closest of the three players.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

The Reddit recap pointed out that there have been 3 Daily Doubles in July about the Shakespeare play Antony and Cleopatra. There's one more week left in the month, can we make it 4 with Levar?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I really enjoyed Robin’s enthusiasm and the joy she expressed in taking Alex’s place seemed sincere.

No guess on FJ. Put down Mary as a joke guess.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

right book but wrong guy . I'm sure Robin Roberts got it....
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:50 pm I wrote Heathcliff to have something as it's not as if I have read or seen anything that would have helped me have a better idea on the clue.
Same here. I can see the path from "proud" to Pride and Prejudice, but even if I had made the connection, I still wouldn't have come up with Darcy.
Leander

Post by Leander »

I got lost trying to think of Dickens characters and never considered other novels.
Perv Griffin
Contributor

Post by Perv Griffin »

I haven't seen much mention of this in any of the three threads from Matt's run, so I assume that the topic and practice aren't novel enough to warrant discussion by regular contributors to the board, but his practice of simply asking "What's ______?" with no regard for the proper interrogative word (e.g., "What's Schwarzenegger?" and "What's El Cid?") seems to nearly run afoul of the entire "question and answer" premise of the show.

Can anyone explain why the judges don't seem to care about this? Would it be just as acceptable to ask "Why's Schwarzenegger?" or "Where's El Cid?"
Golf

Post by Golf »

You have to answer in the form of a question, is he doing that? Yes. Is he correct? Yes. End of story.
Charming
Valued Contributor

Post by Charming »

I thought final Jeapardy was a white horse of Napoleon question.

I thought Matt had an unusual style of answering, I couldn't put my finger on what he was doing different.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

runs:. Religious Emblems (4)
DDs:. :oops: (Julius Caesar) :D :D
trash:. Education/Energy :ugeek:, Poppycock, Hogwash, Zoroastrianism
FJ:. WAGged Who is Mr. Darcy? :mrgreen: I'll take the Perfecto. 8-)

Jeers to John for running away from the 2K clue in Religious Emblems. :x At least try for it.
A good host would keep the game moving, getting to all the clues, & not let Matt get away with "What Schwarzenegger". :idea:
Let's hope Levar delivers.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Seriously? The contestants go 0-for-3 on Mr. Darcy??
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

I immediately got to the right book, but wasn't able (even after pausing the DVR for an extra 30 seconds) to come up with anything more than "the main male character in Pride and Prejudice. :oops:
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Sometimes it's a little clunky to the ear to hear Matt say "What's" instead of "Who's" when identifying a person or persons. But I can certainly see the advantage in not expending a milliliter of mental focus on determining the correct pronoun to use.

Regarding the additional time Matt takes to respond to most clues, he (usually) demonstrates outstanding discipline in not blurting out his answer the instant it comes to him but, rather, considering his response and speaking carefully.

Most J! clues are eminently answerable with the knowledge base of an average J! contestant and a moment of calm to think about your response. Matt has an above-average knowledge base and a remarkably calm demeanor behind the podium. Frankly, I'm surprised whenever he responds incorrectly.

I also like the fact that Matt makes relatively aggressive wagers that are highly defensible from a probability standpoint.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I'm not even trying to play along anymore. The new hosts are fine on their own merits, but distracting simply by merit of not being Alex.

I couldn't have gotten this FJ! if you'd given me every consonant in the answer
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

DBear wrote:Jeers to John for running away from the 2K clue in Religious Emblems. :x At least try for it.
A good host would keep the game moving, getting to all the clues, & not let Matt get away with "What Schwarzenegger"
I liked John but his hesitant clue calling had a lot to do with the board not being cleared in this game. And yeah, he didn't seem to care about how badly he needed to go for the high value clues near the end.

My only beef with Robin was that she had that awkward silence before confirming a correct response too frequently. What's the prob?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Perv Griffin wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:56 pm I haven't seen much mention of this in any of the three threads from Matt's run, so I assume that the topic and practice aren't novel enough to warrant discussion by regular contributors to the board, but his practice of simply asking "What's ______?" with no regard for the proper interrogative word (e.g., "What's Schwarzenegger?" and "What's El Cid?") seems to nearly run afoul of the entire "question and answer" premise of the show.

Can anyone explain why the judges don't seem to care about this? Would it be just as acceptable to ask "Why's Schwarzenegger?" or "Where's El Cid?"
No no, you have the order wrong. It's "Where is Schwarzenegger?" "Who is El Cid?" "Why is Gamora?"

Also, "Is it...?" has been accepted (and not used nearly often enough...)

Didn't realize until after I figured out the response (within time) what the TOM was. It was pretty clever though.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)