Monday, July 26, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

DysonSphere
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, July 26, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by DysonSphere »

Oof. Rough game. Not what I was expecting from Levar Burton, but maybe he can get a second wind and loosen up a bit. He seemed very nervous. I continue to like him and believe he has a better performance as host in him.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Robert K S wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:40 pm LeVar should have done a lot more rehearsal and prep. I was expecting him to be the calm, in-command presence I'd remembered from Reading Rainbow. What happened to that guy? Here's to hoping he recovers and puts in a great performance over the next few shows.
It said in one of the articles he did beforehand that after his first show, he asked his wife how he did and she just shook her head and said something along the lines of, "Not good. Just be yourself. Don't try to be something you aren't." So, apparently we can look to a change for the last 4 games.
davey

Post by davey »

econgator wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:13 pm
Robert K S wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:40 pm LeVar should have done a lot more rehearsal and prep. I was expecting him to be the calm, in-command presence I'd remembered from Reading Rainbow. What happened to that guy? Here's to hoping he recovers and puts in a great performance over the next few shows.
It said in one of the articles he did beforehand that after his first show, he asked his wife how he did and she just shook her head and said something along the lines of, "Not good. Just be yourself. Don't try to be something you aren't." So, apparently we can look to a change for the last 4 games.
I assume he wasn't trying to be nervous...
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

He seemed a bit unpolished and overly peppy at times, but the good qualities shone through enough that I would not object if he were hired on the spot. Having your first game be this disastrous would be taxing on nearly any host.

And no, the middle contestant was not actually me in disguise. :lol:

I almost had a blank screen for FJ! because I blew right past the date in the clue. Thankfully a second read made it snap into place.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:48 pm CCer clank of the day: Ratchet
If this is the worst complaint that one can make about the CC these days, they've definitely fixed the speech-to-text tool! :lol:
BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:56 pm Lots of yummy trash for us today. Alex would have been disappointed to see Bogart go as a triple stumper, but I recognized the African Queen allusion and would have gotten it.
Brando was a clever miss at least (likely for his playing Kurtz, unfortunately it was in Vietnam during the 70s, rather than the Congo during the 1890s.)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

36R. 4/4 on big clues. Really rough game for me today.

I was in an audition group with Patrick a bit more than a year ago. Too bad it didn't work out for him. He was up against a real tough competitor and there were a lot of difficult and tricky clues. I think that's 4 out of 8 people from that group that have made it on.

Patrick mentioned "The cheese stands alone" in his story and I saw that in another archived game earlier today. It's from the folk song The Farmer in the Dell. When I saw that earlier it made a connection for me because in the TV show The Wire that song is Omar's leitmotif and he says "The Cheese stands alone" at one point when he is watching/stalking the character named Cheese.

I had a ton of misses. I got confused on the category for the 3-letter words and I said face for col, ergo for sic. I also said sextant for astrolabe, USA/Canada for India/Pakistan, DEA for ATF, and Conrad instead of Bogart. The year was way off to be Conrad but putting "heart" and "Congo" in the clue led me that way.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are astrolabe, Good Girls, marmot, promulgate, and The Glass Menagerie.
Bamaman wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:07 pm What happened to the time’s up beeper?
Yeah!
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

John Boy wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:16 pm I was also curious about how Matt's overwhelming lead after the first round didn't end up looking like his first two games, with lock games and huge scores.
He had a $400 lead entering FJ in his first game.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Yikes! Easy-peasy FJ. WECIB?
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Per the Archive:
Kathleen's incorrect response was changed to no response due to LeVar misleading her that Matt's response was wrong
Was this announced on air and I just missed it?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Ironhorse wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:21 am Per the Archive:
Kathleen's incorrect response was changed to no response due to LeVar misleading her that Matt's response was wrong
Was this announced on air and I just missed it?
LeVar did it at the beginning of the chat with Kathleen.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

That was just awful. It seemed like Matt was thrown off by that awful hosting, especially after the Noriega debacle. I had to watch on YouTube because of the Olympics but it seemed like there was a ton of echo & enthusiasm. Yikes!
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

According to this article, Stephanie Hull owned the previous record low score of -$6800 on March 12, 2015.

https://slate.com/culture/2020/01/jeopa ... rview.html
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:56 pm Went the wrong way on my guess for DD2, finding myself settling for Oman instead of Qatar. At least I said an actual country, and not "Abu Dhabi"
UAE consists of 7 independent city-states, namely Abu Dhabi and Dubai. I don’t think that was a bad guess? Not really sure if the cities qualify as emirates? On second read, 100-mile peninsula should have steered him away from Abu Dhabi
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Nice to start the week with a gettable FJ; only after the solve did I think that maybe the alphabetical order of the scientists was a bonus hint. Matt needed a solve to win for the first time in his run; the dynamics reminded me a bit of some of the GOAT tournament with both DJ DDs kept away from Matt but not capitalized on.

Tough to watch Patrick's finish. I thought you could see some resignation setting in in the second half of DJ. I also wonder how much of Burton's relative choppiness in his first game may have affected things. It was not a smooth game by any measure. This is one of those nights when the social media pile-on makes it so much worse. I hope he doesn't have the same experience Stephanie Hull went through.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
DysonSphere

Post by DysonSphere »

Not a complaint, but has anyone else felt like Jeopardy has become very pop-culture heavy lately, with a specific focus on current TV shows? I've been watching older episodes and they seemed much more historically focused. The last few games have felt very heavy TV. This is a weak area of mine, so maybe that's why it feels that way.
davey

Post by davey »

DysonSphere wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:52 pm Not a complaint, but has anyone else felt like Jeopardy has become very pop-culture heavy lately, with a specific focus on current TV shows? I've been watching older episodes and they seemed much more historically focused. The last few games have felt very heavy TV. This is a weak area of mine, so maybe that's why it feels that way.
Here's a post from a few months ago-
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=230&p=342413&hilit= ... re#p342413

J! has always had a large pop culture component. Streaming has brought more television than there used to be. It's closer to the center of the pop culture conversation than it was 10 or 20 years ago...more than movies. I like to repeat that you don't have to watch a lot of it (except maybe the shows that come up again and again on J!). You do have to be interested enough to read about it, like on the arts pages of a good newspaper.
DysonSphere

Post by DysonSphere »

"J! has always had a large pop culture component. Streaming has brought more television than there used to be. It's closer to the center of the pop culture conversation than it was 10 or 20 years ago...more than movies. I like to repeat that you don't have to watch a lot of it (except maybe the shows that come up again and again on J!). You do have to be interested enough to read about it, like on the arts pages of a good newspaper."

Yes, I'm not the type who thinks pop culture is in any way invalid. I make note of the popular TV shows every year, but I don't watch many of them. The past week or so just seemed like Jeopardy asked about a ton of current TV shows I had never even heard of.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:04 am
BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:56 pm Went the wrong way on my guess for DD2, finding myself settling for Oman instead of Qatar. At least I said an actual country, and not "Abu Dhabi"
UAE consists of 7 independent city-states, namely Abu Dhabi and Dubai. I don’t think that was a bad guess? Not really sure if the cities qualify as emirates?
Guess what the E stands for in UAE?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I was pretty certain that's how Kathleen pronounced it. I was really expecting a reversal.
Leander

Post by Leander »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:40 am
I was pretty certain that's how Kathleen pronounced it. I was really expecting a reversal.
I thought I was the only person who noticed this, so I assumed I misheard her response.