Tuesday, July 27, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, July 27, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, July 27, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MYTHOLOGICAL ANIMALS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
After being born this creature would bring the remains of its forebear to Heliopolis & put them on the altar of the sun god

Matt Amodio: 24400+1000=25400 (5x = $147,800)
Barb Fecteau: 12400+12210=24610
Jon Waters: 7200-7150=50

Correct response:
Spoiler
phoenix (Jon – Cyclops)

Daily Doubles
Matt: 4400+4400
Matt: 8400+8400
Matt: 18000-2000

Coryats
Matt: 16000
Barb: 12400
Jon: 7200

Combined: 35,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Matt: 9200
Barb: 6000
Jon: 2400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The writers had to know someone would get burned on the TV statue clue and Matt as best on the buzzer was the victim. Jon's rebound miss was a little more surprising as she can be seen behind home plate at Dodger Stadium.

As had to be today was better than yesterday. Three players played the FJ! round and the Combined Coryat was over 35K. LeVar fans can be happy with the energy and enthusiasm he brings this week.

For those looking for ammo against LeVar that is there as well. Barb rang in on J3 and time was almost halfway gone before LeVar called on her. LeVar's reading of the clues is far from monotone, but the style is inconsistent. It has to be more difficult on the staff member to know when to arm the buzzers and for players looking to get in a rhythm, good luck.

To me LeVar is trying too hard and has not settled down yet to demonstrate why he could be the permanent host.

Writers: The show does not need five talking heads from KARE 11 and five audio clues in the same round to go media crazy even if it includes the fun scream clue in the mix.

Matt went 2/3 on DDs for a net gain of 10800 and did not quite get the lock as Barb got DJ29 that ended the round. Matt is winning and as a viewer I like to see the champ have to show up in the FJ! round as Barb forced Matt to do.

The FJ! category had me thinking griffin, chimera and such and which animals made up their bodies.

The FJ! clue busted me for not taking my time and reading the clue more than once. I wrote pegasus and put my pen down as I sniffed out something flying. My fault and I deserve the miss.

J! is funny as Matt easily could have lost game 1 and now he's onto game 6.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

He was better than yesterday but still behind the others. His reading of the clues is uneven and his voice is grating to me. I had difficulty understanding every word he said.

I thought negging “cross” was a bit harsh.

Boer=farmer may come in handy one day in a Boer War clue.

I put dragon for FJ.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

I wanted to like LeVar, but I don't, at least not yet. There's too much of what feels to me like artificial excitement. The excitement that came from Robin Roberts seemed much more genuine (I went into her week with no real expectations one way or the other, and I ended up liking her a lot).

Whiffed on FJ! with Cerberus--didn't feel quite right, but I couldn't think of anything better, and it seems in retrospect as if I should have gotten it, so I think it was a good clue.

I had never thought about the meaning of "Boer", but it seemed close enough to German "Bauer" that I buzzed my imaginary signaling device.
tddeveryday
DIY Problem Solver

Post by tddeveryday »

Cheers to Mark for expressing his complaints as diplomatically as possible. I can't thread that same needle. I am fuming. He's still inconceivably terrible. I'm tearing up because I feel bad for everyone who was unlucky enough to be selected to play this week.
My lucky numbers are 6, 66, and 666.
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

LeVar still seems as stiff as a board.

And with regards to the Science Fiction category and Arthur C. Clarke's famed novel, "Rendezvous With Rama," it's sad to see that the famed clue writers of "Jeopardy!" don't know the difference between galaxy and solar system.

Sigh.
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I guessed the minotaur on FJ while thinking of its connection to Icarus, but I was not at all confident. I don't think that I would have ever thought of phoenix. That one was a forehead slapper!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I'll take inconsistent energy over no energy.

FJ! was an instaget.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

41R. 3/4 on big clues. I guessed Vishnu instead of Rama. I haven't read anything by Clarke but I have Childhood's End coming up soon on my to-read list. Phoenix wasn't any problem. The Harry Potter series might have helped me with that but I think I knew it anyway.

Apparently Matts are good at Jeopardy! when they go to Yale. Maybe I should have tried that.

The WORLD OF JOBS category was tough for me. I almost rang in with "hydraulic technician" for the plumber clue.

I missed sitar and said mandolin. Had Mary Tyler Moore instead of Mary Richards, Harrisburg instead of Helena (oops), Spain instead of France, and Earth instead of Stars.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are Hurricane Rita, Maria, Vladivostok, Vanity Fair, and farmer.
Last edited by MattKnowles on Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I didn't see anything wrong with LeVar's performance yesterday or today. I'm ambivalent on whether I want him to label a TDD as such in spite of the fact the contestant obviously doesn't want to use the hackneyed expression. I think after the fifth time, just let him win the semantic battle. However, an 8K bet does deserve a shout out :).

I followed Mark into Pegasus land but couldn't think of the name and got hung up on Centaurs. Then I figured that the whole "remains" thing made no sense with a big physical body and settled on Phoenix.

I'm not quite used to LeVar's excitement for a correct answer. I keep thinking he'll whoop and holler over a $200 question sometime. It doesn't bother me any. If he promises to leave the show in time for a smooth transition in case of a terminal illness, then he can have the gig. I'd rather see it go to a B-lister celebrity than any news people, doctors, or football players.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
davey

Post by davey »

I thought the FJ was rather obvious, but it does lead to a question: If the phoenix was born from the ashes, how were there any remains???
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I was really rooting for LeVar, but this is not classic, surefooted LeVar we're seeing. He still has three more chances to impress, but it was a shame to have scratched on the first two efforts. Anderson Cooper, by contrast, was running on all cylinders right out of the gate.

The Mary Richards negbait was totally fair but I didn't think it was clear from the clue that they wanted the color of the cross on the Knights Templar. Not great writing there.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

davey wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:00 pm I thought the FJ was rather obvious, but it does lead to a question: If the phoenix was born from the ashes, how were there any remains???
I always thought of the ashes to be more placenta-like than the actual new phoenix...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:46 pm The writers had to know someone would get burned on the TV statue clue and Matt as best on the buzzer was the victim.
Matt has shown that less is more when it comes to answering. And then sometimes Moore is less.

I'm sure I'm not the only one flushed with pride that our asteroid belt made it into a clue.

Note that "Maltese cross" goes with the Knights Hospitaller.

I needed something like "what happens here stays here" for vagus nerve. Of course, maybe then it's not a $1000 clue.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I’d never heard of Lt. Colonel Duckworth so I looked him up and it turned out that today was the anniversary of his daring feat. Of course, Burton didn’t mention it. I thought today was supposed to be better but it still sucked. At least FJ was easy!
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Lefty wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:35 am Matt has shown that less is more when it comes to answering. And then sometimes Moore is less.
Nice.

Matt seems to be very much from the Alex Jacob school of play. Did anybody else catch him peeking down at his time-out lights near the end of DJ!, trying to soak up every last little bit of time from his responses, in hopes of preserving the lock by running out the clock?
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Lefty wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:35 am
Matt has shown that less is more when it comes to answering. And then sometimes Moore is less.
Oof!
I needed something like "what happens here stays here" for vagus nerve. Of course, maybe then it's not a $1000 clue.
They did give us that it started with v. For me, that was hint enough.

I also had a moment’s hesitation wondering whether ashes could be construed as remains, but stuck with Phoenix for my answer. Matt surely looks TOC-worthy.