Wednesday, July 28, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Wednesday, July 28, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Bamaman »

squarekara wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:57 am The Batmobile lost its wheel,
The Commissioner broke his leg.
That was the version I learned.

I generally don’t precall on FJ, but for some reason the expression “tempest in a teapot” popped in my head when I saw the category. So it was a quick jump to a play about a shipwreck.

I thought he did better Tuesday but slipped a bit in this episode. I will admit I went in hoping he would suck, the whole campaign annoyed me. But I did go in with an open mind in evaluating him. However, he has been the worst so far in my book. He is enthusiastic but overly so to the point it is hard to watch. His voice and cadence make it even worse. Maybe it works reading kids’ books on PBS (never watched Rainbow) but it isn’t here.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Peter the accountant wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:03 am As to the Batmobile which lost a wheel, in my day it was followed by Robin flew away.
squarekara wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:57 am The Batmobile lost its wheel,
It was a LOOONG time ago, but I seem to remember Robin laying an egg at some point......
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Jingle, bells,
Batman smells,
Robin laid an egg,
Batmobile lost its wheel,

Did anyone get any further before the adults in the room shut down the song?
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:56 am
earendel wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:35 am I was really hoping LeVar would do a great job, but IMO he hasn't. Timing seems off, his cadence seems off, it's like he's trying too hard.
I agree he's pushing way too hard, but I also believe he'd relax into the role and be a fine successor to AT. He has the chops. That said, I don't see him getting the job. The suits will go much, much younger.

I'm agnostic on LeVar. I was really put off by the aggressive PR/social media campaign, but now that the early reviews are in - and overhwelmingly negative - I find myself rooting for the guy.
Have to agree and disagree with Morbeedo. I think Reading Rainbow LeVar would be an excellent host for a few years, but Kunta Kinte has not been particularly great. As many have said, he's trying way too hard when he doesn't need to. I think having a break of a few days to review and then doing a second week would show tremendous improvement.

And as far as growing into the role of host -- many of us knew Trebek before he was Trebek. His performance as host in his early years was OK, but nothing to write home about. There was as much overly-loud voice and as much staccato phrasing and clipped speech as anything we've seen. If 1984 Trebek came on this month with a one-week stint he'd probably rank in the middle of the pack. It took him a while to relax into the role.

With regard to age, I could see TPTB looking for a host that could appeal to a younger audience, but I'm not sure it's because they are looking for another 35-year host. The guest hosting parade has shown that no one will replace Trebek, but there are many competent enough to succeed him for a few years. It might even keep the game a little fresher if a standard host tenure was maybe three to five years.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

squarekara wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:24 pm Jingle, bells,
Batman smells,
Robin laid an egg,
Batmobile lost its wheel,

Did anyone get any further before the adults in the room shut down the song?
In my family (I don't know where it came from) we sang this to the tune of the first half of a verse:

Batman's in the kitchen,
Robin's in the hall,
Joker's in the bathroom
Peeing on the wall
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

60 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni