Wednesday, July 28, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, July 28, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, July 28, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
SHAKESPEARE’S PLAYS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
"Let’s all sink with the king" is a line from the opening scene of this play

Matt Amodio: 29000+18000=47000 (6x = $194,800)
Amanda Michel: 600+599=1199
Saya Signs: 5200-3999=1201

Correct response:
Spoiler
The Tempest (Saya – The Tempest King Lear)

Daily Doubles
Matt: 6400+6400
Matt: 17000+2000
Matt: 21800-2000

Coryats
Matt: 25000
Amanda: 600
Saya: 5200

Combined: 30,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Matt: 15400
Amanda: 2600
Saya: 2400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

To LeVar: It's AH-na and not Ann-na

Matt put down the hammer on DD1 to announce the game was over. After that it was only a matter of how much Matt would win towards his 6-day total. Like KJ in game 38, Matt went big on Shakespeare.

It would be fascinating to know what was going through Matt's mind on the DD3 miss. It was like we could see circuits frying as he tried to figure it out. It's J!, so how many Swiss-Italian mountains do you think are in play?

For another Alex Jacob comparison it reminded me of the All-Stars miss on Pulp Fiction when it seemed so easy for home viewers while on stage things can happen inside anyone's head.

The FJ! category is the kind I would bet $1000 on Matt's position. Not impossible I can solve it, but I'll almost always be guessing.

The FJ! clue had me write the correct title, but with too much time left to get in trouble I matched what Saya did. My thinking was sink like on a ship vs. sink like going down mentally. My coin toss went the wrong way for a work I was sure had a king vs. one where I was not certain beyond knowing there is a magician.

I'm glad my miss was only a second in a row and not a streak buster. Saya's miss did not cost her second place as Amanda was too far back to make her solve count for anything more than pride.

Time for Matt to take a lunch break. That post-meal Thursday game sometimes slows down a super champ.
tddeveryday
DIY Problem Solver

Post by tddeveryday »

The game was better today only because this was the first LeVar game that was not a trainwreck. Also, these games are easier to watch if you pretend that LeVar is doing Jeopardy! as a bit. It's easier to stop hating if you laugh at his weird mistakes. For example, instead of getting mad, just laugh every time he yells "YES!!!" and "CORRECT!!!" too loudly.
Last edited by tddeveryday on Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My lucky numbers are 6, 66, and 666.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:46 pm

It would be fascinating to know what was going through Matt's mind on the DD3 miss. It was like we could see circuits frying as he tried to figure it out. It's J!, so how many Swiss-Italian mountains do you think are in play?

Seemed to me that he started with a literal translation... looking for two words. His Latin knowledge again was not useful.

Looked to me that the game was decided even before it was played. Too bad.

I didn't think host did any better. Still too much time to call or rule.

For FJ, I went with Henry V. Ouch.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

The official website's contestant zone, where the weekly lineups are posted, omits the "and"s from occupations. You can usually make what what they're meant to be, but sometimes they're funnier when you don't. I was hoping that Saya really was a barista gardening assistant and that there would be a wonderful story about the fabulous career of assisting with the growth of baristas in a garden, or, more plausibly but less interestingly, assisting only baristas with their gardening.
astrohip
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by astrohip »

tddeveryday wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:00 pm The game was better today only because this was the first LeVar game that was not a trainwreck.
I thought it was even worse. Still has those awkward pauses between answer and result, which in all fairness several other guest hosts had. So I assume it's a timing/experience thing. But they got better after 2-3 days, whereas LeVar still does it. Consistently.

Also, at least twice, when a contestant rung in, he waited 2-3 seconds to call on them, as the countdown timer counted down.

And enough with the "YES" and "CORRECT".

I really wanted the guy to do well, but he's just not showing us any reason to invite him back.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Idle thought:

How many games have you seen over the decades of Jeopardy! in which one or more contestants (including winners) finished their games with scores in the vicinity of $13,600? Or...what Matt had at the first commercial break?

Impressive. Very impressive.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Matt shoulda got negged for his response to Fancy Idioms for 1k. The correct expression is "Idle hands are the Devil's Workshop", not plaything. Also, playthings don't provide employment, workshops do. :evil:
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

DBear wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:15 pm Matt shoulda got negged for his response to Fancy Idioms for 1k. The correct expression is "Idle hands are the Devil's Workshop", not plaything. Also, playthings don't provide employment, workshops do. :evil:
And yet the J! judges accepted Matt's response. What does that tell you?

Batmobile lost a wheel
Joker takes ballet

or

Batmobile lost a wheel
Joker got away

Idioms will very often have more than one acceptable variance.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:21 pm
DBear wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:15 pm Matt shoulda got negged for his response to Fancy Idioms for 1k. The correct expression is "Idle hands are the Devil's Workshop", not plaything. Also, playthings don't provide employment, workshops do. :evil:

Batmobile lost a wheel
Joker takes ballet

or

Batmobile lost a wheel
Joker got away

It tells me that the judges are slacking. As I said earlier, employment was part of the clue, & playthings do not necessarily provide that.

Tell the truth, you just made up Joker takes ballet ;)
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

I know this one as "an idle mind is the devil's workshop"

Total bloodbath. And Saya started the DJ round with a top row clue. Sadly, my fellow NYC person was not prepared to meet a buzzsaw

Classic film lines was brutal - give me these in the Learned League One-Day Special format and I might've picked off a few

What's Updike? :?

Insta-Tempest. Surprised they'd return so soon to that well -

#8204, aired 2020-04-16
SHAKESPEARE'S PLAYS
An account of a deposed Duke of Genoa in a 1549 "History of Italy" is a presumed source for this play
Golf

Post by Golf »

Clue: The hip phrase The Little Dutch Boy used when he approached the edifice.
morbeedo wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:28 pm What's Updike? :?
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

DBear wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:28 pm

Batmobile lost a wheel
Joker takes ballet

or

Batmobile lost a wheel
Joker got away

It tells me that the judges are slacking. As I said earlier, employment was part of the clue, & playthings do not necessarily provide that.

"Joker took ballet" was the more common version in my elementary school in the early 1990s. :P
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

I'm just going to give my opinion of Matt right now: No player has impressed/intimidated me as much as him since James Holzhauer. To have a trivia mind that can cycle through the Pribilof Islands to "fruit from the poisonous tree" to Anna Faris being that star of Mom to "friendship" being the last word in Casablanca is dazzling. I'm getting more and more blown away every day.

4/4 for me on wagering clues, all were pretty straightforward. I also thought about trying to translate Monte Cervino, but when "Deer Mountain" didn't ring any bells, I just settled for the Matterhorn. :lol:
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

DBear wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:28 pm

Batmobile lost a wheel
Joker takes ballet

or

Batmobile lost a wheel
Joker got away

I know it as "the devil makes work for idle hands" and so there was much mystification in our household.

Not seeing any reason for all the hype about Burton. Right now he's at the bottom of our list alongside Oz and Richards.
Leander

Post by Leander »

I went the same way as Mark in FJ, figuring that despite the storm, there was no king I could remember in The Tempest, so I went with King Lear.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I knew somebody was going to buzz in and say "damn" on Gone With the Wind. That was a Savage Question on HQ Trivia a few years back.