Wednesday, July 28, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, July 28, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey »

DBear wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:28 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:21 pm
DBear wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:15 pm Matt shoulda got negged for his response to Fancy Idioms for 1k. The correct expression is "Idle hands are the Devil's Workshop", not plaything. Also, playthings don't provide employment, workshops do. :evil:
And yet the J! judges accepted Matt's response. What does that tell you?

Batmobile lost a wheel
Joker takes ballet

or

Batmobile lost a wheel
Joker got away

Idioms will very often have more than one acceptable variance.
It tells me that the judges are slacking. As I said earlier, employment was part of the clue, & playthings do not necessarily provide that.
I agree, Matt's idiom should have had some allusion to work. Also, his saying has 170 hits in google...That seems like a phrase a few people have used.. :roll: ..
A first scene with a reference to sinking?...gotta be The Tempest, though it's easy to forget that Alonso is a king, not just a duke or something...Twelfth Night's shipwreck is in the 2d scene...King Lear is in charge in the first scene of his play, characters don't think he's sinking...
My bringing up Pribilof last week helped me get that one...
Last edited by davey on Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Just dreadful. 2 more days. Great game by Matt! I took the trains up some Swiss mountain so I got to see the Matterhorn from a close enough distance. Zermatt is a nice little town. FJ was easy for me but I wondered about Lear. But I know The Tempest involves a shipwreck so that was immediate. I’m stuck watching Jeopardy on crappy YouTube which means I missed a few clues tonight which makes me grateful for J-Archive!!

Pribilofs were the subject of an interesting news bit a few months back. WWII related.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

43R. 4/4 on big clues. Picked correctly between The Tempest, King Lear, and The Comedy of Errors. I had The Comedy of Errors mixed up with Twelfth Night that starts with a shipwreck. Shakespeare liked shipwrecks.

I missed paddle your own canoe with dig your own grave. Said darkness instead of horror, and damn instead of day.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are Kristin Hannah, leatherback, pilaf, America Ferrera, and John Coltrane.

I'm curious about Matt Amodio's selection of fourth row clues or bottom row clues. He has not been consistent. Sometimes he only picks fourth row clues and sometimes he only picks bottom row clues. I'm not sure if he has some criteria to pick one or the other or if he has adjusted his strategy since he started.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
davey

Post by davey »

MattKnowles wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:53 pm 43R. 4/4 on big clues. Picked correctly between The Tempest, King Lear, and The Comedy of Errors. I had The Comedy of Errors mixed up with Twelfth Night that starts with a shipwreck. Shakespeare liked shipwrecks.
As noted above, the sinking in Twelfth Night comes in Scene 2. Twelfth Night famously begins with "If music be the food of love, play on."
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

davey wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:11 pm
MattKnowles wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:53 pm 43R. 4/4 on big clues. Picked correctly between The Tempest, King Lear, and The Comedy of Errors. I had The Comedy of Errors mixed up with Twelfth Night that starts with a shipwreck. Shakespeare liked shipwrecks.
As noted above, the sinking in Twelfth Night comes in Scene 2. Twelfth Night famously begins with "If music be the food of love, play on."
Had to double check. Looks like the shipwreck is after Scene 1 but before Scene 2. I'll pointlessly argue that it probably would have been in Scene 1 if he had CGI.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I first thought Richard III, thinking metaphorically of "sink," as Richard certainly goes down in the end and I figured it could be foreshadowing. Then without my influence my dad said it too. Then thinking aloud I realized The Tempest begins with a literal sinking, but I stuck with R3 for solidarity's sake. My first miss in just over two weeks.
davey

Post by davey »

MattKnowles wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:23 pm
davey wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:11 pm
Had to double check. Looks like the shipwreck is after Scene 1 but before Scene 2. I'll pointlessly argue that it probably would have been in Scene 1 if he had CGI.
Good point, it's offstage (and described in Scene 2). unlike the one in The Tempest.
Last edited by davey on Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

doihavetoreally wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:47 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:46 pm

It would be fascinating to know what was going through Matt's mind on the DD3 miss. It was like we could see circuits frying as he tried to figure it out. It's J!, so how many Swiss-Italian mountains do you think are in play?

Seemed to me that he started with a literal translation... looking for two words. His Latin knowledge again was not useful.

Looked to me that the game was decided even before it was played. Too bad.

I didn't think host did any better. Still too much time to call or rule.

For FJ, I went with Henry V. Ouch.
That clue was a gimme.

It's Cervino in Span/Port/Ital and Cervin in French. Foreign Language doesn't sound like his strong suit
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

As far as the host’s performance so far, I will steal Harlan Ellison’s classic three-word review of “The Partridge Family”: Mother of God!
davey

Post by davey »

cthulhu wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:41 pm As far as the host’s performance so far, I will steal Harlan Ellison’s classic three-word review of “The Partridge Family”: Mother of God!
David Cassidy was God?? I'm surprised Harlan Ellison liked him that much...
Last edited by davey on Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Obvious edit right before the announcement of the first break. LeVar must have missed the signal and let another clue be selected.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Yeah, I can't do it. I want to like LeVar but he is trying wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too hard.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

I could have sworn LaVar said "the horror" when he revealed Apocalypes Now. I had to double check whether the category was 'Word' or 'Words' after that.

I could see it coming that Amanda would guess herself out of contention. Saya looked bad on her guess of 'Revelation' but it turned out to be her only neg before she crossed out the correct FJ response.

The three DDs were all gimmies. If Matt had gone full Holzhauer in this game, he could have eclipsed Roger Craig's old record.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

I’d like to point out Mr. Burton’s perfect record. He has managed to have multiple delayed recognitions of the player who rang in each day. Gotta admire the consistency. I think.

As to the Batmobile which lost a wheel, in my day it was followed by Robin flew away. Of course, that was when Batman was punctuated with “Bop”, “Pow!”, and “Sock!” And Heath Ledger was still a twinkle in his mother’s eye. The youthful ward, Dick Greyson, was far more important than any villian. Hence his alter ego was included as the slight in the rhyme.

On FJ!, I’m mostly clueless on The Bard. I picked Richard III just to make sure there was a king in the play.
--Peter
yclept

Post by yclept »

Matt is a buzzsaw. As usual, a little luck always helps (eventually, he will hit a DD with his first clue choice of the game!), but he is not easy to keep up with.

LeVar: I don’t mind him like others seem to do, but I can’t imagine him getting the gig.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

The Batmobile lost its wheel,
The Commissioner broke his leg.
earendel

Post by earendel »

Is it my imagination or have the acoustics changed for LeVar's week? There seems to be a lot more echoing, almost like a College Week. Plus what's up with the "time's up" buzzer (or lack thereof)?

I was really hoping LeVar would do a great job, but IMO he hasn't. Timing seems off, his cadence seems off, it's like he's trying too hard.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

earendel wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:35 am I was really hoping LeVar would do a great job, but IMO he hasn't. Timing seems off, his cadence seems off, it's like he's trying too hard.
I agree he's pushing way too hard, but I also believe he'd relax into the role and be a fine successor to AT. He has the chops. That said, I don't see him getting the job. The suits will go much, much younger.

I'm agnostic on LeVar. I was really put off by the aggressive PR/social media campaign, but now that the early reviews are in - and overhwelmingly negative - I find myself rooting for the guy.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Category 13 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:59 am I could have sworn LaVar said "the horror" when he revealed Apocalypes Now. I had to double check whether the category was 'Word' or 'Words' after that.
I don't remember exactly what he said, but I thought he started with 'horror' and then said 'the horror'. The former to give the response, the latter to remind you of context. Plus players don't get dinged for extra information as long as it's correct.

Not a good category to start from the bottom; I first tried to think of a movie that ended with the words 'Apocalypse Now' but realized my error in time.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Volante wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:13 am
Category 13 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:59 am I could have sworn LaVar said "the horror" when he revealed Apocalypes Now. I had to double check whether the category was 'Word' or 'Words' after that.
I don't remember exactly what he said, but I thought he started with 'horror' and then said 'the horror'. The former to give the response, the latter to remind you of context. Plus players don't get dinged for extra information as long as it's correct.
He said "The horror," but he was just repeating the last line, from which the last word was derivable, as he did for other clues in the category.

I thought "horror" was a cinch and any one of the contestants should have known it. It's not on the AFI list, but if you know two lines from Apocalypse Now, it's this one and "I love the smell of napalm in the morning" (No. 12 on the list).

All the other clues are from the list:

$200: No. 23
$400: No. 31
$600: No. 20
$800: No. 84

I'll bet their 6th clue was "Some Like It Hot". Or maybe "Now, Voyager". (The most famous lines from Soylent Green and The Maltese Falcon are actually the second-last lines.)