Thursday, July 29, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Category 13
Wagering Viking

Re: Thursday, July 29, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Category 13 »

Peter the accountant wrote:I’d like to point out Mr. Burton’s record. He has managed to have multiple delayed recognitions of the player who rang in each day. Gotta admire the consistency. I think.
This game's awkward moment was even better. The score keeper actually dropped Dana's score to minus 2000 (Red), when LaVar incorrectly ruled her wrong. So we saw her score go more into the red before changing back to a white '0'. I believe that's a first ever occurrance (for not being corrected post facto).
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Futility

Post by Category 13 »

Was Bryan's 57 (consecutive) clues in the red a record at least for non-Celebrity Tournament games?
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

I spent the :30 trying to remember the name of the drug town, but I couldn't even come up with that, let alone Cartagena...the Carthage connection would have been nice to know...
I assume folks are talking about Romancing the Stone, not War of the Roses.... :) No, I don't always remember 30+-year-old movies...I should have watched Body Heat when it was on TCM recently, but I can't think of another Kathleen Turner movie I want to see again...
Most disheartening thing in this game...I know, there were many...is that not even Matt recognized Peter Sellers... :roll:
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

How much of the off-kilter-ness of the games recently is LeVar's doing, and how much is the contestant coordinators'? These have been trainwrecks.

No guess on FJ! The correct response rings zero bells. Feels like they're digging way too obscure this week. I fully expect a liederkranz tomorrow.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I feel terrible for Burton at this point. He was interested in the job for years yet he’s just so awful at it. He does do okay in the interview portion.

I was close to visiting Cartagena this coming December but it’ll be Guatemala instead. Great game by Matt again. He had ten times #2 at the end of DJ.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

47R. 2/4 on big clues. Didn't know vermillion border and missed lips. Wrote down Medellin for FJ thinking that it showed up on Entourage so maybe it would show up on Jeopardy!. I sort of knew Medellin was inland but couldn't think of the right port city. I had Barranquilla mixed up with Guayaquil and thought it was in Ecuador. I tried to think of cities with "Nova" or "Polis" but that got me nowhere. If you ship freight to Colombia it will typically go to Barranquilla and not Cartagena. Getting the Carthage-->Cartagena connection seems like the best route.

Missed automatic rifle and said assault rifle. The OLD MILITARY ABBREV. category was tough for me. 1/5 with only the top row.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are habit, Far East, Frist, Jeff Bezos/Washington, and Peter Sellers.

Matt Amodio's performance today was the most dominating since James Holzhauer. Maybe even more dominating. Very impressive. If everything else had stayed the same and he had gone all-in on all the daily doubles and FJ then he would have ended with $179,200. If I didn't mess up the math.

At the end of the J round LeVar told Bryan that they would get him out of the hole in the DJ round. It was a nice thing to say at least.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

threearruda wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:23 pm
sarisson wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:45 pm James's highest Coryat was "only" $38,200. Ken's was "only" $37,000. Just saying.
I'm too lazy to look, but is $39,000 the highest ever?
Ken had a 39,200 in this game. Highest recorded, per The J! Fan website. I have to wonder if Matt sees these stats and kicks himself over not knowing "Tyler" or negging with "Allen" like I did at home..
Given he didn't bother clearing $77,000 or $75,000 when he could, I have a feeling other people's stats don't matter much to him.

I had to think hard—Villanueva? Neapolis? Those are ultimately Latin and Greek, and I don't think Phoenician is even Indo-European, so can I even puzzle out root words? Wait, there's a South American city with an ancient Mediterranean–type name, isn't there?!—and made it to Cartagena in time.
yclept

Post by yclept »

Buzzsaw. He goes over $40,000 before FJ despite wagering small on two DD in DJ.

I am intrigued to see what he does if he hits a DD in DJ in a very tight game. For now, he is playing defense.

His opponents simply had no chance. This is the type of game where one has to be demoralized. We will never know just how good either one could have been against a typical Jeopardy champion.
cheezguyty

Re: Futility

Post by cheezguyty »

Category 13 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:53 pm Was Bryan's 57 (consecutive) clues in the red a record at least for non-Celebrity Tournament games?
Nope.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I wanted him to do well, but I'm sorry, LeVar is terrible at this sad to say. It's not surprising to read that the morning shows took so long that lunch was after just two shows.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

My goodness. I still haven't figured out if the challengers just had terrible luck of the draw and wound up with bad categories for them, or if Matt has LeVar's timing and cadence nailed. I don't know who keeps this kind of record, but that may be the most times a Jeopardy host has said "Matt" in a single episode. During the pre-FJ commercial break, I was hoping Matt would wager $33,001. He could be number one on the ABJ record list.

Only reason I got Cartagena was because we were there in spring of 2019. 98 degrees with 95% humidity by noon. Climbing the hill of Castle San Felipe on a day like that is NOT recommended for geezers. But it made Cartagena memorable.
Last edited by AFRET CMS on Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

yclept wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:22 am Buzzsaw. He goes over $40,000 before FJ despite wagering small on two DD in DJ.

I am intrigued to see what he does if he hits a DD in DJ in a very tight game. For now, he is playing defense.

His opponents simply had no chance. This is the type of game where one has to be demoralized. We will never know just how good either one could have been against a typical Jeopardy champion.
didn't he all-in a 8k wager in Tuesday's game?
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

AFRET CMS wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:45 pm My goodness. I still haven't figured out if the challengers just had terrible luck of the draw and wound up with bad categories for them, or if Matt has LeVar's timing and cadence nailed. I don't know who keeps this kind of record, but that may be the most times a Jeopardy host has said "Matt" in a single episode. During the pre-FJ commercial break, I was hoping Matt would wager $33,001. He could be number one on the ABJ record list.

Only reason I got Cartagena was because we were there in spring of 2019. 98 degrees with 95% humidity by noon. Climbing the hill of Castle San Felipe on a day like that is NOT recommended for geezers. But it made it memorable.
the 90/90 weather, the hike, or the view?
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

CyrusChan wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:57 pm
AFRET CMS wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:45 pm My goodness. I still haven't figured out if the challengers just had terrible luck of the draw and wound up with bad categories for them, or if Matt has LeVar's timing and cadence nailed. I don't know who keeps this kind of record, but that may be the most times a Jeopardy host has said "Matt" in a single episode. During the pre-FJ commercial break, I was hoping Matt would wager $33,001. He could be number one on the ABJ record list.

Only reason I got Cartagena was because we were there in spring of 2019. 98 degrees with 95% humidity by noon. Climbing the hill of Castle San Felipe on a day like that is NOT recommended for geezers. But it made it memorable.
the 90/90 weather, the hike, or the view?
All of the above, but particularly the name of the city. Good catch on the ambiguity. ;)
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

My local station didn’t show it due to a Biden press conference on COVID (thanks anti-vaxxers) so I didn’t get to see it until last night on YouTube after having already seen Friday. I had been spoiled on his winning total but nothing else.

I could name one city in Colombia and I was pretty sure it wasn’t going to be Bogota.

Sad to say, but I thought this was Levar’s best effort of the week.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

59 R (Missed Playing the Part $1200.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I am shocked and offended that Peter Sellers was a triple stumper even when given a photo, played three roles, and the Prisoner of Zenda.

I am also shocked and offended that none of the contestants have numbers of the president's memorized. Even if I didn't know the obscure fact about the grandson being alive recently, I could have gotten Tyler from tenth president.

I got Cartagena by knowing it was a port from reading the book Road Fever, in which two set the speed record from Tierra del Fuego to Prudhoe Bay. They drove the entire length except for the ferry from Cartagena to Panama, since there is no highway through the Darien Gap.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

floridagator wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:39 pm I am shocked and offended that Peter Sellers was a triple stumper even when given a photo, played three roles, and the Prisoner of Zenda.
Every film adaptation of The Prisoner of Zenda includes a set of multiple roles played by one person. I named the one male Zenda lead I could offer (thanks to an oddly hilarious poem): Stewart Granger.