Friday, July 30, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Vowela
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, July 30, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Vowela »

I have made reference to the routine a fair bit. Would've been ashamed to show my face if I had missed this one :lol:.
MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

You know, what stands out to me about Matt Amodio given his 8 games won to this point is that he's not "forcing" the issue when he plays the game.

There are times Matt will "light it up" (as what we've seen in games 2, 6, and 7), where he would get challenged (in games 1, 4, and 5), and then games where he feels like he has a lock game well in hand despite winning a good amount of money (In games 3 and 8), and manages to find as many ways to win despite that.

In the games where Matt "lit it up", these were his stats from those games:

110 R
11 W
Coryat score total: $92,200
DD Net gain: $21,400 on 7/8 DDs
FJ! Net gain: $58,000 on 3/3 FJs!
Money won on those games: $162,000

In the games where Matt got challenged, these were his stats in those games:

66 R
13 W
Coryat score total: $32,800
DD Net gain: $16,800 on 4/5 DDs
FJ! Net gain: $25,200 on 3/3 FJs!
Money won on those games: $86,800

In the games where he has a lock game well in hand, but won a good amount, these were his stats from those games:

63 R
7 W
Coryat score total: $52,600
DD Net gain: $9,000 on 3/4 DDs
FJ! Net gain: -$13,000 on 0/2 FJs!
Money won on those games: $42,400

I just think for a guy like Matt Amodio, for a Ph.D student, he's a guy who knows when to press the right buttons at a certain point, especially if he keeps dominating the DDs at the pace of where he's going. He's only missed 3 DDs in 8 games played to this point. Two of those he missed were from small wagers, but that's partially because it felt like he had a very big enough cushion to the point where it forced more pressure on his challengers to try and play catchup.

Amazingly, in game 4, Matt managed to survive despite being the 2nd game in which he was only able to find one DD with the challengers also finding one as well. The problem was, both challengers missed their DDs, and it was one of those games it felt like Matt could have basically "put it away" after dominating the 1st round. He only managed to rack up $4,000 in DJ! and still won despite the struggles everybody had in that round.

So the times Matt gets challenged is usually the ones that could be his weakness. If he bets big and misses on a DD, and/or struggles on finding the DDs, that could easily be the difference in what keeps him a repeat champ or likely, replaced with a new champ.

Matt's a strong contender, and it would be interesting to see how far will he go as we get close to season 37 winding down in terms of games left.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I had to come back to this thread to give some love to the writer of the Burpee clue. That is the clue of the year imho. And it was quite a get for Matt. I don't know if I would suss it out in Llama time, much less and FJ or a DD.

I could see that the seed company aspect of the clue might be ungettable for some demographics, and the exercise aspect also ungettable for some (not just couch potatoes either). I never heard of the exercise until perhaps the Pilates era of fad-of-the-month fitness routines. This is long after my halcyon days with the medicine ball, kettle bells, jump rope and kangaroo boxing workouts (Mandelbaum, Mandelbaum, Mandelbaum).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Ridiculously long pause from LeVar on the reveal of the third place response in Final. So much dead air!

Brutal DJ round for me. Bit it on DD2 and DD3 - Burpee and Isaiah - and only got halfway there on Final.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Seems like Jimmy Fallon, Billy Crystal, and Jerry Seinfeld might get this FJ:

I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

58 R (Missed Fowl Balls $600 and $1000.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Every Good Boy should watch this take off on who's on first with Johnny Carson playing Ronald Reagan:

Interesting that all three contestants work in higher education right now, two of them probably temporarily.

Right out of the gate, Andrew was painful to watch. I'm always expecting trouble when a contestant writes an exclamation point after his name. He said every answer with unnecessary hand gestures and a ridiculous sing-song tone.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
davey

Post by davey »

floridagator wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:31 am

Right out of the gate, Andrew was painful to watch. I'm always expecting trouble when a contestant writes an exclamation point after his name. He said every answer with unnecessary hand gestures and a ridiculous sing-song tone.
Yeah, we all noticed...and then we listened to his interview where it was sort of explained. And were we glad we did, before we said anything we'd be ashamed of!