Monday, August 2, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, August 2, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, August 2, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
HISTORIC BUSINESSMEN

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Born in the village of Waldorf, Germany, in 1763, he arrived in the U.S. in 1784

Matt Amodio: 34200-15000=19200 (9x = $310,400)
Kent Easter: 7400-2600=4800
Anna Hendrick: 400-400=0

Correct response:
Spoiler
John Jacob Astor (Matt – Morris) (Kent – Who is?) (Anna – Bayer)

Daily Doubles
Matt: 6400+6400
Anna: 2400-2400
Matt: 23400+4000

Coryats
Matt: 25200
Kent: 7400
Anna: 2800

Combined: 35,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Matt: 14200
Kent: 3000
Anna: 2000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

After J3 it was 1000 across the board. Close game? Not by the end.

I get why the players were stumped on the Shelley Long clue, but that does not keep me from springing my triple trapdoor. [Cue Wilhelm scream]

David Faber's debut was a big improvement over last Monday's debut. To me it was more like having George S. back at the helm while David was even better leading the show. Everything felt close to perfect like I was watching and listening to a normal game of J! with no host distractions to take me away from the clues.

Huzzah! as David worked in after one clue.

The J! writers were on the mark with a clue about the band who had a member die last week.

The FJ! category had me struggling for a good precall as the best I had was Fuller in thinking about door-to-door sales.

The FJ! clue left me thinking I'd be dangerous if I had a brain. I made the connection off Waldorf to both a hotel and Oregon city and still missed it. :roll: I was stumped until nearly the end and then fumbling around for some kind of German-sounding name from what I thought could be the right period, I scribbled Zenger.

I was thinking I needed to put on a dunce hat when David gave the correct response. The one saving grace was the players going 0/3 on it instead of acing it.

Tic-Tac-Dough had a long-running champ Thom McKee whose ending total was $312,700. Matt is a little shy of that total due to losing:

on FJ! clue misses.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

another triple-stumper, another instaget for me. Strange how that works out, because when all three players get the final, I miss it about 25% of the time.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Thanks for the recap, Mark. I was feeling like this FJ was nearly clue-less, but Waldorf is a gigantic hint staring me right in the face. Turns out, I was the clueless one.
idearat
Valued Contributor

Post by idearat »

As soon as I saw Waldorf I thought of salad and Astoria. Salad was easy to eliminate, so I went with Astor. I started to second guess when I remembered that a J.J.A went down on the Titanic, but just figured it was a descendant. It was JJA IV.

R.U.R. I got right away but was annoyed I couldn't remember off the top of my head what the first R stood for.
I got the bronze on Jeopardy!
tddeveryday
DIY Problem Solver

Post by tddeveryday »

I might end up in the minority on this, but I think David's hosting style has a lot more in common with Anderson Cooper than George Stephanopoulos. He's more than competent. He's charismatic and good at gab in a way similar to Anderson.
My lucky numbers are 6, 66, and 666.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I got as far as "Astoria" (after discarding "Statler") but didn't manage the jump from "Astoria" to the correct response.
lstone19
Valued Contributor

Post by lstone19 »

idearat wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:50 pm As soon as I saw Waldorf I thought of salad and Astoria. Salad was easy to eliminate, so I went with Astor. I started to second guess when I remembered that a J.J.A went down on the Titanic, but just figured it was a descendant. It was JJA IV.
I got stuck knowing that an Astor went down on the Titanic as well but couldn't come up with anything better so went with Astor figuring there was more than one.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Faber's great.

No guess on FJ! Didn't see a single TOM anywhere in it. Seems like the FJ!s have been ungodly hard of late...
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Considering I had never heard of David Faber before he was announced as a guest host, I was pleasantly surprised with how much I liked him.

Never would have come up with Astor, as I thought he was British. I said Levi Strauss, even though they just used him a little while ago, I think.
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 »

Interesting spelling in FJ! Looks like the spelling of the German town is Walldorf.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Had to watch on YouTube. Poor editing made me miss David’s reading of FJ and music was nearly over. Still doubt I get it.

What a breath of fresh air after last week. I had never heard of him either but was very impressed. He is either a quick study or prepared very well. A lot like Anderson, George, and Sanjay in being very straightforward but seemed to have more energy in his answer reading.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Minor detail perhaps, but I loved how Faber explained the correct response in FJ!. With so many of the guest hosts, it was clear they were just reading off a script when providing the extra information, but Faber described the relevant part of the clue and extra material (the hotel) in such a way that felt natural and made me believe he knew what he was talking about.. a quality I feel has been sorely missing lately. Excellent work on the whole.

Congrats to Matt once again.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:13 pm Faber's great.

No guess on FJ! Didn't see a single TOM anywhere in it. Seems like the FJ!s have been ungodly hard of late...
By "of late" I assume you mean this whole season. I'm down this year from a several-year average around 70% to this year struggling to reach 55%. Ugh.

Clues like this owe are the reason why. I have known who Astor was, of course, but never knew he was an immigrant, certainly not a German immigrant, not with a name like that. If Waldorf is considered TOM, no wonder everybody missed it. Horrible clue.
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:26 pm I was feeling like this FJ was nearly clue-less, but Waldorf is a gigantic hint staring me right in the face. Turns out, I was the clueless one.
I focused too much on Germany and zero on Waldorf. WAGed Birkenstock. At least he's German, but had no idea J.J. Astor was.

Faber was solid. And Matt was, as usual.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
davey

Post by davey »

I love this FJ! Because I got it, yes, but also because the correct response was staring us in the face...No, I didn't know J.J. Astor was from Germany, so I almost didn't write him down. Then I thought, Why not? The name works fine with a German accent...Immigrants, they get the job done!
It probably wouldn't have made any difference, but I was so bummed when Anna, clearly comfortable in the theater category, didn't recognize R.U.R. Apparently she doesn't do crossword puzzles either... :roll: I feel that this little fact is one of the first bits of "trivia" I ever learned...
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

idearat wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:50 pm I started to second guess when I remembered that a J.J.A went down on the Titanic, but just figured it was a descendant. It was JJA IV.
Had Astor quickly, then hesitated since I knew the hotel was 19th century. Remembered the original JJA made his fortune as a fur trader much earlier just as time expired, so I was glad I didn't change.

I don't think Waldorf salad is available anywhere in Waldorf, Germany. Waldorf was a 10-minute bike ride from the back gate of the former Rhein-Main AB. There was a gasthaus where we wasted too many 1970s afternoons with sausages and beer, and a terrific Mexican restaurant that had some of the best meals I've ever had. I think it was called El Rustico. Maybe some day I can go back to Germany for ... gazpacho and carne asada.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.