Monday 8/2/21 FJ Poll [spoiler alert]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

I knew the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel and Astoria, Oregon were named for J.J. Astor before Monday's FJ.

Poll ended at Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:44 am

True
70%
False
30%

Total votes: 53

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Monday 8/2/21 FJ Poll [spoiler alert]

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Just curious on this.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Monday 8/2/21 FJ Poll [spoiler alert]

Post by morbeedo »

I did a deep dive on Explorers recently

John Jacob Astor (1763-1848) German immigrant, fur trader, sponsored expeditions to Pacific NW
● 1808 Founded American Fur Company
● 1811 Established Columbia River trading post at Fort Astoria, first United States community on the Pacific coast
● 1848 Wealthiest person in the US at time of death
● Namesake Astoria, Oregon, Astoria, Queens, Waldorf-Astoria hotel (originally 3 buildings, now located at 301 Park Avenue between 49th and 50th Streets)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

The hotel definitely. If you asked me who Astoria, Oregon was named after, I would have guessed JJA, but I don't know that I 'knew' it.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Neither of those helped me get the final though, just didn't know where to look in the clue. Probably would have been an LL get though; not unfamiliar with JJA (moreso the IVth, from my days of devouring anything Titanic related, but enough connections are there).
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
gamawire
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by gamawire »

Volante wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:17 am Neither of those helped me get the final though; just didn't know where to look in the clue.
This.
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Astor was an instaget for me, and I gave my son a rundown (similar to Faber's) of why before the reveal. Surprised this went TS.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

econgator wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:02 am The hotel definitely. If you asked me who Astoria, Oregon was named after, I would have guessed JJA, but I don't know that I 'knew' it.
I probably shouldn't have even mentioned the city in Oregon, but I figured if you knew "Astoria" was referencing Astor you could probably put together that both the city and the hotel are named for him. If you knew one or the other you should answer "true" in the poll.
Sherm
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Sherm »

I knew Astoria, Oregon was named for Astor. I'm sure I knew about the hotel, but can't say I've thought about it. I think if someone would have asked me about the hotel. After thinking it through I would have said its probably named for Astor and some other guy.

I got FJ yesterday easy enough. The minute I zoomed in on Walldorf, I got Astor pretty quick.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Sherm wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:14 pm I knew Astoria, Oregon was named for Astor. I'm sure I knew about the hotel, but can't say I've thought about it. I think if someone would have asked me about the hotel. After thinking it through I would have said its probably named for Astor and some other guy.
Until yesterday I definitely would have thought the Waldorf-Astoria was named for two people.