Wednesday, August 4, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, August 4, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, August 4, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The first published announcement of the Declaration was by a Philadelphia paper that reported it in this foreign language

Matt Amodio: 43200-37000=6200 (11x = $368,600)
Kevin Blum: 600-201=399
Nicole Yuen: 400-400=0

Correct response:
Spoiler
German (Matt – French) (Kevin – Dutch) (Nicole – German French)

Daily Doubles
Nicole: 1000-1000
Matt: 20200+10000
Matt: 33400+5000

Coryats
Matt: 31000
Kevin: 600
Nicole: 1400

Combined: 33,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Matt: 9000
Kevin: 2200
Nicole: 1200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Nicole lost 1000 on DD1 and I guess that's better than Matt adding 5000 or so. Not that it mattered today as one clue in the AUTOMOBILES... ASSEMBLE! category was relevant.

The AUDIBLE has a bunch of celeb readers doing excerpts though nice to have the words on screen.

The FJ! category is one where I smelled trouble and I had my wager in Matt's shoes down for only 1800 or 3200 in not trusting myself one bit to sort through signers or wordage. No such luck for the clue to have been something like the first 5-letter word in the document. :)

The clue left me thinking like Nicole though I only wrote the correct response. My thinking was on the path of something about Jefferson or Franklin overseas. I did not realize to key on the Philadelphia portion of the clue. I was ahead of David's explanation once he gave the correct response. Of course that makes perfect sense.

A mere miss for me at home while for what counts David's charity lost the chance to pad the total big time and Matt lost a bundle. He ain't no James. In regular play James only missed on FJ! clue. The damage? Just $3,010. Matt could have lost a lot more money in the FJ! round since he only did 33400+5000 on DD3 against double red.

I like to imagine James, Ken and Brad in the lounge at The Chase and watching their reaction to the FJ! round.

Matt gets to keep playing. A win tomorrow and he passes Arthur Chu for wins.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Instaget final.

Dutch wasn't the worst guess, they are known as the Pennsylvania Dutch, coming from Deutschland, no matter how incorrect that is.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Where does that stand among biggest FJ losses?
brick

Post by brick »

Enjoyed the Chekhov category. Ran it.

The responses in FJ were a little painful.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

When Matt's FJ wager was revealed, I said out loud "OMG"!
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

triviawayne wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:55 pm Instaget final.

Dutch wasn't the worst guess, they are known as the Pennsylvania Dutch, coming from Deutschland, no matter how incorrect that is.
That's the root of the term Pennsylvania Dutch - others from the area slightly mishearing the name of the language their neighbors spoke. A rare instaget for me, mostly because I recently read Michener's The Novel, which is about a novelist from that area.

Decided to put Locast on the main television and watch an episode after hearing how well Faber was doing. Certainly competent. My wife said he would be a "safe" choice, slightly negative connotations given the way she said it. I'm against newsies in general, but at least he's pretty much strictly financial news and apparently rather intellectual about his field.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

alietr wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:24 pm Where does that stand among biggest FJ losses?
From (the other Andy on The Jeopardy! Fan): Andy’s Thoughts:

$37,000 is the most ever lost on a single Final Jeopardy! wager; this breaks a longstanding record held by Jack Lechner (who lost a pre-doubled $15,000 on December 2, 1988.)

There are often interesting tidbits on that site about J! numbers that sometimes answer questions before they are even asked.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I bet the director of the Robin Hood Foundation joined Matt in grabbing his chest when Matt’s wager was revealed. A certain boardie can probably relate to this.

I wrote down German and then Dutch before sticking with my first thought.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

German French, changing my mind because the DofI was intended to get support from France...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
davey

Post by davey »

I didn't know whether to laugh or scream when Kevin mixed up the great Stanislavski with the acting teacher Michael Douglas plays on a Netflix sitcom. (Folks who fret about TV on J!, make your flashcard for The Kominsky Method...it's already been used in one clue about Douglas's costar Alan Arkin...Its creator Chuck Lorre could also come up....)

I did what Nicole did, putting down the correct response, based on a hunch that turned out to be just the way DF described it. Then I decided maybe French was already the language of Revolution...not very likely in 1776, but that's what I "corrected" to...I'd like to think that with another 15 seconds I would have changed back... :roll:
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

40R. 4/4 on big clues. FJ would have been hilarious if the answer was English and they all missed it. I considered French and Latin and thought it was a weird clue. And a weird fact.

I missed Seinfeld and said Woody Allen. Nervous comedian jumped out at me and I didn't recognize the voice for some reason. Also missed cryobiology and said cryogenics, Strasberg instead of Stanislavsky, carrageenans instead of cyclamates, and Elle Fanning instead of Melanie Griffith (Dakota Johnson's mother). That last one is pretty bad.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are the Laurentians, sol, pranksters, star chamber, and Blythe Danner.

Sean Lennon's music is much better than his mother's.

Sean Lennon:
Spoiler
Yoko Ono (you don't want to watch this):
Spoiler
Bamaman wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:42 pm I bet the director of the Robin Hood Foundation joined Matt in grabbing his chest when Matt’s wager was revealed. A certain boardie can probably relate to this.

I wrote down German and then Dutch before sticking with my first thought.
The usual suspects may be more concerned with Nicole's wager, that may have cost her $1000, rather than the $4999 Matt left on the table.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

MattKnowles wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:47 pm 40R. 4/4 on big clues. FJ would have been hilarious if the answer was English and they all missed it.

I missed Seinfeld and said Woody Allen. Nervous comedian jumped out at me and I didn't recognize the voice for some reason.
English was well established as the local tongue by 1776. As for Seinfeld, his sitcom was rather famously "the show about nothing".

I guess no one expects the Portuguese inquisition. I did like Nicole's guess of "missionary system". "Look, I don't expect you to believe any of this. Just tell me 'Hail Mary' or 'Jesus saves' for my report, though, please?"
I'm smart and I want respect.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MattKnowles wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:47 pm Sean Lennon's music is much better than his mother's.

Sean Lennon:
Spoiler
Yoko Ono (you don't want to watch this):
Spoiler
I think it's unfair to compare an avant-garde piece (whose entire "score" is on the wall behind her in that video) with something informed by pop sensibilities. "Don't Worry, Kyoko" would have been a better choice.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

triviawayne wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:55 pm Instaget final.

My wife actually said "Pennsylvania Dutch" which is a good guess, but I don't think it's going to cut it as a language.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Lefty wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:25 pm
MattKnowles wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:47 pm 40R. 4/4 on big clues. FJ would have been hilarious if the answer was English and they all missed it.

I missed Seinfeld and said Woody Allen. Nervous comedian jumped out at me and I didn't recognize the voice for some reason.
English was well established as the local tongue by 1776. As for Seinfeld, his sitcom was rather famously "the show about nothing".
He also mentioned a friend named Costanza. I was wondering how the $200 clue could have been easier and then I heard Dolly’s voice.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:19 pm
alietr wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:24 pm Where does that stand among biggest FJ losses?
From (the other Andy on The Jeopardy! Fan): Andy’s Thoughts:

$37,000 is the most ever lost on a single Final Jeopardy! wager; this breaks a longstanding record held by Jack Lechner (who lost a pre-doubled $15,000 on December 2, 1988.)

There are often interesting tidbits on that site about J! numbers that sometimes answer questions before they are even asked.
Nope, James Holzhauer has more records than you might think:

https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6527