Wednesday, August 4, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Wednesday, August 4, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Robert K S »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:46 pm
Nope, James Holzhauer has more records than you might think:

https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6527
But you get into quibbles here about whether that was money lost. It was in a GOAT tournament and they were playing for points. It was also only one game of a two-game match.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:19 pm
alietr wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:24 pm Where does that stand among biggest FJ losses?
From (the other Andy on The Jeopardy! Fan): Andy’s Thoughts:

$37,000 is the most ever lost on a single Final Jeopardy! wager; this breaks a longstanding record held by Jack Lechner (who lost a pre-doubled $15,000 on December 2, 1988.)

There are often interesting tidbits on that site about J! numbers that sometimes answer questions before they are even asked.
That big loss cost Jack a TOC spot. At least it won’t do the same for Matt.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Lefty wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:25 pm
MattKnowles wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:47 pm FJ would have been hilarious if the answer was English and they all missed it.
English was well established as the local tongue by 1776. As for Seinfeld, his sitcom was rather famously "the show about nothing".
I completely missed the word "foreign" in FJ. Oops.

Seinfeld was obvious once it was revealed. Also before it was revealed, except I missed it.

To seaborgium's comment I suppose it's unnecessary to pick on Yoko and I can be better than that. Anyway I like several songs from Sean Lennon's band.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
yclept
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by yclept »

Given his previous FJ wagers, I had a feeling he was going to go for the huge score. Damn. He would have put himself ahead of Roger and Ken on the one-day total list there.

He was laughingly dominant today, and that is no disrespect to his opponents. I mean, what can you do?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:42 pm I bet the director of the Robin Hood Foundation joined Matt in grabbing his chest when Matt’s wager was revealed. A certain boardie can probably relate to this.
Yeah, but that certain boardie got a near-impossible clue. This one had a pretty limited number of options and was eminently gettable (as both you and I got it).

Matt has just enough holes in his knowledge that I could beat him on a really lucky day for me and a bad one for him (buzzer speed notwithstanding). I seem to get just enough Lach Trash to stay in the game (until he hits a DD).
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I meant to add Sg pretty much got screwed on that FJ.
earendel

Post by earendel »

I got FJ! but for the wrong reason - my thought immediately jumped to John Peter Zenger, a German newspaper publisher, and that was why I chose "German". Turns out that Zenger published in New York, not Pennsylvania.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
Leander

Post by Leander »

Don’t know if this has been going on all week, but some humous discussion of Wednesday’s game and the FJ wager on Faber’s CNBC show with Jim Cramer (who pointed out he was born in Germantown PA).
davey

Post by davey »

earendel wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:22 am I got FJ! but for the wrong reason - my thought immediately jumped to John Peter Zenger, a German newspaper publisher, and that was why I chose "German". Turns out that Zenger published in New York, not Pennsylvania.
Zenger was German, but his famous libel case was about an English-language newspaper.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

alietr wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:40 am
Bamaman wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:42 pm I bet the director of the Robin Hood Foundation joined Matt in grabbing his chest when Matt’s wager was revealed. A certain boardie can probably relate to this.
Yeah, but that certain boardie got a near-impossible clue. This one had a pretty limited number of options and was eminently gettable (as both you and I got it).
Bamaman wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:08 am I meant to add Sg pretty much got screwed on that FJ.
Yeah, I got this one right.
bkellysky
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bkellysky »

"Precipitation coming down as a mixture of snow & rain"
Response: "What is sleet?"
Correct

Not to this meteorologist.
But I learned something in checking this out.
I knew that "Sleet" in the USA weather usage is "pellets of ice", reported as Ice Pellets (PL on aviation weather reports)
(see https://w1.weather.gov/glossary/index.php?word=SLEET)
The official term for a 'mixture of rain and snow' is: a mixture of rain and snow. (RASN in aviation weather reports)
Sleet is ice falling from the sky. But I had heard, in the UK, it's often used to describe rain that freezes on the ground and on surfaces. "Freezing rain" in the USA usage.

But the American Meteorological Society's Glossary says:

sleet
1) See ice pellets.

2) In British terminology, and colloquially in some parts of the United States, precipitation in the form of a mixture of rain and snow.

I hadn't heard of the second usage before JEOPARDY!
I think its a big difference whether "sleet" is pieces of ice or a mixture of rain and snow falling together.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

David seemed pretty bummed that none of the players came up with Keith Richards.
MattKnowles wrote: I missed Seinfeld and said Woody Allen. Nervous comedian jumped out at me and I didn't recognize the voice for some reason.
I would have reflexively rung in and responded Loretta Lynn on the Dolly Parton clue. I never realized how similar their dialect is.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

bkellysky wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:40 pm The official term for a 'mixture of rain and snow' is: a mixture of rain and snow.
I've heard lots of skiers refer to it as "snain." I know that's in no way technically correct terminology, but I still like it!
bkellysky
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bkellysky »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:33 pm I've heard lots of skiers refer to it as "snain." I know that's in no way technically correct terminology, but I still like it!
:D
bkellysky
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bkellysky »

The Washington Post's Capital Weather Gang joins the discussion of "What is sleet?"
https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/ ... -question/?
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:33 pm
bkellysky wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:40 pm The official term for a 'mixture of rain and snow' is: a mixture of rain and snow.
I've heard lots of skiers refer to it as "snain." I know that's in no way technically correct terminology, but I still like it!
When I first arrived in North Dakota for a two-year assignment, one local inhabitant told me, "The first snowflake that hits the ground in October is the last snowflake that melts in April." Close to correct. By the end of the winter, the roads had four or five feet of filthy brown-black snow along the shoulders. Dakotans called it "snirt," since it was 50% snow and 50% dirt.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I noticed that Matt deigned to refer to Dolly Parton as a who instead of a what. He did not show Christie Brinkley or Yoko Ono this same courtesy.
AFRET CMS wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:38 pm
When I first arrived in North Dakota for a two-year assignment,

one local inhabitant told me,
Forks or Minot?

"Local inhabitant" is redundant.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Dolly is a national treasure. She has earned a “who”.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

bkellysky wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:40 pm "Precipitation coming down as a mixture of snow & rain"
Response: "What is sleet?"
Correct

Not to this meteorologist.
But I learned something in checking this out.
I knew that "Sleet" in the USA weather usage is "pellets of ice", reported as Ice Pellets (PL on aviation weather reports)
(see https://w1.weather.gov/glossary/index.php?word=SLEET)
The official term for a 'mixture of rain and snow' is: a mixture of rain and snow. (RASN in aviation weather reports)
Sleet is ice falling from the sky. But I had heard, in the UK, it's often used to describe rain that freezes on the ground and on surfaces. "Freezing rain" in the USA usage.

But the American Meteorological Society's Glossary says:

sleet
1) See ice pellets.

2) In British terminology, and colloquially in some parts of the United States, precipitation in the form of a mixture of rain and snow.

I hadn't heard of the second usage before JEOPARDY!
I think its a big difference whether "sleet" is pieces of ice or a mixture of rain and snow falling together.

Coming from Ireland and then the UK, I had never seen or heard of freezing rain before I moved to Canada. Sleet has always meant a mixture of rain and snow across the pond; ice pellets are hail!
davey

Post by davey »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:33 pm Dolly is a national treasure. She has earned a “who”.
She didn't get it though. I just listened. She got "What's...?" like everybody else.