LL Season 90

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

mrparadise
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: LL Season 90

Post by mrparadise »

Well, I finished a few points shy of the promotion zone in my C rundle again, and I'm beginning to think maybe that's where I belong. Nah! I had pretty much the usual metrics I had in 14 seasons in B and 3 (disasters!) in A, hopefully I'll climb back to B sometime soon.
Tied my last match 6(4), matching my opponent precisely with the same point assignments. Maybe there's a term for this?
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Jimmie Walker is now doing commercials for the "Medicare Helpline". I cringe every time one of them comes on.

SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

Blue Lion wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:37 pm Jimmie Walker is now doing commercials for the "Medicare Helpline". I cringe every time one of them comes on.

I have seen that one several times. He can't be THAT hard up for cash, can he?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

For the first time in my 31 seasons, I finally won a rundle. Still no clue how I won (-35 QPct, -74 DE, only 82 TCA -- but only 71 TCA, sure, that had a lot to do with it ... :) ). The guy who led the rundle in TCA with 110 finished 4th! He had no ties for the season, though. If he had just 1, he would have made the top 3.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

This was my sixth non-rookie season and I have yet to leave D. I've never come close to relegation, and haven't come all that close to promotion (with the exception of last season, where I finished one spot shy of it). It seems I firmly know where I stand.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I am glad to see that my hunch that I had been unlucky was proven true. I was the 1,897th least lucky LLama of the season. But I did finally catch a break during the last four MDs of the season, and finished 3-0-1 during that stretch.

I finished 19th of 30 in my rundle, so I won't be relegated. But I tied for the most CAA in my rundle and had my worst defensive season since my rookie season--while finishing 12th in TCA and 8th in TMP in my rundle.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

StevenH wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:45 pm I am glad to see that my hunch that I had been unlucky was proven true. I was the 1,897th least lucky LLama of the season.
As I figured I would, I did set my personal record for being lucky at 178th.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

econgator wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:14 pm
StevenH wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:45 pm I am glad to see that my hunch that I had been unlucky was proven true. I was the 1,897th least lucky LLama of the season.
Where do you find this stuff???
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

SBurrus wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:51 pm
econgator wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:14 pm
Where do you find this stuff???
....oh, I didn't make that post. Some wonderful person calculates it every season:
https://learnedleague.com/viewtopic.php ... 50#p237773

I'm in the unluckiest 200. Out of 24,300+
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

9-8-8 record for a 12th-place finish -- my second-best finish in A Lyceum.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

My ranking is 12,348th luckiest. My luck statistic was 0.12597. I'll have to read the first posts in the original thread at LL to see what all that means!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

econgator wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:20 pm For the first time in my 31 seasons, I finally won a rundle. Still no clue how I won (-35 QPct, -74 DE, only 82 TCA -- but only 71 TCA, sure, that had a lot to do with it ... :) ). The guy who led the rundle in TCA with 110 finished 4th! He had no ties for the season, though. If he had just 1, he would have made the top 3.
For the first time in my 29 seasons, I finished last. Set a new record for losses. So back to D I go. I did end on a positive note, winning my last two matches and getting my first ever Buckner win on MD25. And one of my wins kept the person I beat from being promoted.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bump because the No Hit Wonders about baseball is a fun one.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:56 am Bump because the No Hit Wonders about baseball is a fun one.
I played that one and also The Clash one.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:37 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:56 am Bump because the No Hit Wonders about baseball is a fun one.
I played that one and also The Clash one.
I gave a pass to both, but enjoyed the New Deal 1DS a lot
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I would enjoy some “general trivia” one-days to supplement the specific subject ones. These are just not scratching my trivia itch. For some of these to be fun you need to be beyond the top level of general trivia, specialize in the specific subject, or read and prepare ahead of time. If we all read about Tchaikovsky first and then took a quiz to see who quickly retained the most info that could be interesting, but it would be a different kind of competition. Which is fine, but how about some interesting and accessible general knowledge one-days. The TDs on here have good subject matter for example.

The 2 months in between seasons keeps getting longer.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

MattKnowles wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:44 pm I would enjoy some “general trivia” one-days to supplement the specific subject ones. These are just not scratching my trivia itch. For some of these to be fun you need to be beyond the top level of general trivia, specialize in the specific subject, or read and prepare ahead of time. If we all read about Tchaikovsky first and then took a quiz to see who quickly retained the most info that could be interesting, but it would be a different kind of competition. Which is fine, but how about some interesting and accessible general knowledge one-days. The TDs on here have good subject matter for example.

Thorsten seems to nail it with the mid-season classic, mostly because it is on 12 different categories. But I see how it's hard to have a topical quiz that doesn't default into a bunch of YEKIOYDS. A more general theme-based quiz can toss in a little extra TOM to be more accessible.

I often check one out because it sounds interesting, and then would like to see the reveals, but I don't want to leave 9 blanks, even though the smiths would appreciate any participation. I seldom go back and check after closing.

The New Deal one was a pleasant surprise. I had to pass on the baseball and SFF quizzes.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:49 pm
MattKnowles wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:44 pm I would enjoy some “general trivia” one-days to supplement the specific subject ones. These are just not scratching my trivia itch. For some of these to be fun you need to be beyond the top level of general trivia, specialize in the specific subject, or read and prepare ahead of time. If we all read about Tchaikovsky first and then took a quiz to see who quickly retained the most info that could be interesting, but it would be a different kind of competition. Which is fine, but how about some interesting and accessible general knowledge one-days. The TDs on here have good subject matter for example.

Thorsten seems to nail it with the mid-season classic, mostly because it is on 12 different categories. But I see how it's hard to have a topical quiz that doesn't default into a bunch of YEKIOYDS. A more general theme-based quiz can toss in a little extra TOM to be more accessible.

I often check one out because it sounds interesting, and then would like to see the reveals, but I don't want to leave 9 blanks, even though the smiths would appreciate any participation. I seldom go back and check after closing.

The New Deal one was a pleasant surprise. I had to pass on the baseball and SFF quizzes.
You can always check 5 boxes and leave all answer boxes blank. It doesn't count as participating, and you get to see the answers immediately.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

triviawayne wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:28 am
You can always check 5 boxes and leave all answer boxes blank. It doesn't count as participating, and you get to see the answers immediately.
Thanks for the workaround. Now I'm wondering if the smiths and the serious players would rather I take my 50 points for my one or two answers. It's like an upvote for the smiths, assuming they are just glad to have eyes on their hard work. Plus, it helps lower the curve for the players so they get higher percentiles :).

I was happy to get CCC and money it on the New Deal 1DS, but my 9 correct answers only got me to the 66th percentile.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:53 pm
triviawayne wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:28 am
Thanks for the workaround. Now I'm wondering if the smiths and the serious players would rather I take my 50 points for my one or two answers. It's like an upvote for the smiths, assuming they are just glad to have eyes on their hard work. Plus, it helps lower the curve for the players so they get higher percentiles :).

I was happy to get CCC and money it on the New Deal 1DS, but my 9 correct answers only got me to the 66th percentile.
Better than I. I had 10 right but only for 45th % with almost perfectly suboptimal moneying choices. Go, me!