LL Season 90

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

mennoknight
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: LL Season 90

Post by mennoknight »

Oh no...I'm going back to A Taiga. Bring on the slaughter.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

mennoknight wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:31 pm Oh no...I'm going back to A Taiga. Bring on the slaughter.
Say hi to Vladimir Putin for me.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:29 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:49 am
I only know of one Roman road, but potentially lots of downward things.
How did you get "wind"? I know of adiabatic, acrobatic, and aerobatic things but have never come across "katabatic". I thought tornadoes and hurricanes, and decided on the latter.
Yes, I was also happy to at least be in the ballpark with my guess of "cold fronts."

How was "What's Happening!" not the MCWA for the "Good Times" question? I always get those two shows confused as the two prominent black sitcoms of the '70s.
Sanford & Sons, The Jeffersons, et. al. calling for Kirk...
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I was trying to think of the name of the show mentioned in Everclear's AM Radio, which the young narrator wanted to watch instead of the reruns his mom had on. I couldn't think of it and put Sanford and Sons.

Turns out it was Good Times in the lyrics.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

triviawayne wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:15 pm
How did you get "wind"? I know of adiabatic, acrobatic, and aerobatic things but have never come across "katabatic". I thought tornadoes and hurricanes, and decided on the latter.
Yes, I was also happy to at least be in the ballpark with my guess of "cold fronts."

How was "What's Happening!" not the MCWA for the "Good Times" question? I always get those two shows confused as the two prominent black sitcoms of the '70s.
Welcome Back, Kotter. One drop rule.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

True, but the premise on those was different enough. Both Good Times and What's Happening! focused on the lives of inner city black teenagers.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

The question didn't actually say anything about race.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Ironhorse wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:52 pm
It didn’t say anything about inner city black teenagers either, but with dyn-o-mite being a catchphrase, it’s easy to get an image in your head if you’ve seen it and maybe not know exactly which show.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

triviawayne wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:52 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:52 pm
It didn’t say anything about inner city black teenagers either, but with dyn-o-mite being a catchphrase, it’s easy to get an image in your head if you’ve seen it and maybe not know exactly which show.
I probably only ever saw the character in commercials promoting the show. I don't think it was racist to notice he was black. And I knew his real name was Jimmy Walker, but have no idea of his character name on the show (twelvefootgirl tells me it wasn't Erkel).
I was a sitcom fan, but preferred the adults and workplace humor (Night Court, Barney Miller, MASH, etc..). A few Cosby episodes was enough to burn me out, and Family Ties didn't float my boat either. The only appointment TV I've ever watched was Seinfeld. We started watching Big Bang Theory in season 4 and kept up by DVR, but not usually the same week it was aired.

I hope everybody had a stimulating season. It's nice to have breaks and it's nice to have the structure of the five weeks :).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:34 pm

True, but the premise on those was different enough. Both Good Times and What's Happening! focused on the lives of inner city black teenagers.
Good Times was a family sitcom with the wacky neighbor. We rarely saw a scene that wasn’t set in their apartment.

What’s Happening! involved both Raj’s family and his friends. His house, school, and the soda shop were all regularly seen. It didn’t have the ghetto surrounding the other show had. More of a suburban setting than inner city. Raj lived in a house in a neighborhood.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

Finished Season 90 with a 5(3)-2(3) win, and finished #7 in my rundle with a 12-7-6 record and 30 points; only the top 6 move up to D rundle next season. The #6 person in my rundle also earned 30 points. We did not play each other. So, I will stay in E division next season.

Of the people who finished ahead of me...I beat the #1, #3 and #5 players, tied the #2 player and lost to the person who ranked #4.

What is especially frustrating is that 22 people in this rundle earned at least 1 forfeit win this season; I was one of 12 who did not. There were lots of forfeits this season; 5 people forfeited on the last day of competition.

It was a strange season; questions for Weeks 1 and 3 were very difficult for me but I did much better in Weeks 2 and 4.

I'm proud that in my private rundle, I finished the season with the highest DE. That's about all there is to be proud of because when I played the higher ranked players, I was usually overwhelmed. We have a super player in there who hardly ever missed any questions.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

Well, after getting pummelled at the beginning in Laguna B with a 4-10-3 record which left me begging for a relegation to C League, I looked at my remaining schedule and saw that my remaining matches were against players with either losing records or barely winning records. I worried that this could keep me from relegation and sure enough I finished 5-0-3 and, with a tie on the last day, missed by one point of finishing at .500 for the season.

I did feel in a silly mood on the last day and, having no clue on the meringue question, answered Shimmer.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I'm feeling rather triumphant at this moment. I'd been in the relegation zone from the end of round 7 until I climbed out in round 24, and a last-round tie helped keep me out. I actually outanswered my last-round opponent but overdefended "meringue". I don't feel too bad, though, because I'd been wavering all day between meringue and chiffon and might quite easily have been among the unhappy 7%.

I was also among the plurality that thought the cows tap-danced.

I can't remember many Alcoa-worthy Fantastic Finishes in my own LL history, as few of my promotions were earned outright; usually I benefited from expansion. This time, I improved from 1-11-1 to 7-13-5.
I'm smart and I want respect.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

For the second time in a row, I've finished the season on the top 3 of my A rundle. Conveniently, it comes right after the LL Championship that the earlier finish qualified me for, so I've made it into two championships in consecutive seasons.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

mennoknight wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:31 pm Oh no...I'm going back to A Taiga. Bring on the slaughter.
Narrowly escaped promotion to A Taiga with a 7(5)-8(5) loss on MD25. My man missed meringue though? Jeez!

Finished with my highest TCA, beating the record I set last season
Last edited by morbeedo on Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kerryoakie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kerryoakie »

This season was very hot and cold; I marked my first AND second 9(6) and (the decidedly less impressive) first 0(0). The questions were much more in my wheelhouse this season and I finished +5 over my previous personal best TCA. It was a nail biter going into MD25, but I earned a promotion to C next season!
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Back to B...and not a season too soon.

An -18 diff between TCA and CAA...that's just not fun. That's Bishop Sycamore vs D1 *exhausted emoji*
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:31 pm Good Times was a family sitcom with the wacky neighbor. We rarely saw a scene that wasn’t set in their apartment.

What’s Happening! involved both Raj’s family and his friends. His house, school, and the soda shop were all regularly seen. It didn’t have the ghetto surrounding the other show had. More of a suburban setting than inner city. Raj lived in a house in a neighborhood.
Right, I agree there were plenty of differences and fans of both shows would never confuse the two, but I think plenty of people remember those two as "the mid-70s sitcoms that focused on the lives of black families." As already mentioned The Jeffersons and Sanford and Son did, too, but those involved premises completely different.

What's Happening!! was set in Watts, LA and Good Times was set in a housing project in Chicago. Seems like a good mnemonic to keep them straight is What's... happened in Watts. I like it.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

I somehow managed to stay in B despite being in relegation zone at the end of 20/25 match days. I lost on MD25 but the only person who could catch me needed a win and tied.
Volante wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:04 am An -18 diff between TCA and CAA...that's just not fun. That's Bishop Sycamore vs D1 *exhausted emoji*
I tied my TCA record, but my CAA (112 this season v. 96 previous max) and TPA (155 v. previous 134) record were both absolutely destroyed this year. I was -17 in TCA-CAA. I had basically given up on staying in B around day 15 when I had a 7 day stretch where my opponents I think were like 38/42 against me.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Back up to B for me winning C at 19-6 in avoiding any tie matches. 98 TCA ties my best and I took advantage of the luck of facing only 77 CAA.

One of these times I may get 100 TCA if I avoid being a knucklehead and doing things like deleting Hong Kong to switch to Macau.