Your time starts again ... now

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

tagNV
Member of Our Studio Audience

Your time starts again ... now

Post by tagNV »

Hello again, quiz show fans! You may remember I mentioned a show on ITV called The Chase, which pits some of Britain's best quizzers against ordinary folk, giving us lots of tempting trivia tidbits in the process. Some have even mentioned they wish they could appear on the show.

Well, you might get your chance. According to this Buzzerblog article, FOX has commissioned a pilot of the show. This generated some lively discussion about (a) whether FOX will do the show justice, and (b) who would make a good host and good Chasers. I want to focus on that last question: I'm sure you guys can come up with several J! contestants that would fit the bill just fine...but I'll start the ball rolling with my two choices:

The obvious choice: Austin Powers

He'd be the Man of Mystery. Maybe wear a mask. He can go totally black hat like he's wanting to do on J! Taunt the contestants, explain why the correct answers should have been obvious to them (and to anyone watching). Offer $1 million if they choose to go one step closer to the Chaser...why not? If they should somehow get lucky enough to guess their way to the Final Round...AP will just mow them down all the more impressively in The FInal Chase. I for one would really like to see that.

The less obvious choice: Joon Pahk

He'd be the Scientist (or, when he's angry, the Mad Scientist). My own (admittedly biased) take: Joon has the right sort of personality to make a good Chaser. Not to mention those quick-thinking skills and serious trivia chops. Certainly capable of offering illuminating insight like the UK Chasers, and a nice counterpoint to our Man of Mystery.

So who would y'all choose as Chasers?

Wanna see if I can whip up a good batch of Final Chase questions. Maybe try them out at TCONA.
whoisalexjacob
2015 TOC'er

Re: Your time starts again ... now

Post by whoisalexjacob »

I think this guy would be great.
Austin Powers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Austin Powers »

omgwheelhouse wrote:I think this guy would be great.
Yes Boomie would be quite good.
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

ha, thanks tag. i'd never heard of the show before, but i enjoyed the clip (and the compliment). interesting tidbit from the clip (and germane to a discussion here in the march 28 online test thread), the clue "What prayer is also known as the Pater Noster?" was correctly answered with "Our Father".

the curious thing about the format of the game is that the chaser has a noticeable time advantage because he doesn't have to buzz in. of course, that is nothing compared to the disadvantage of playing against three contestants pooling their knowledge. the chaser in the clip is very impressive, but of course, that's the point, isn't it? anyway, i'm obviously never planning to move to LA and do game shows full-time (although it would be really fun to be a contestant!), and i suspect austin powers isn't either. boomie, on the other hand, already lives there and works in the industry. he'd be great. for similar reasons, if FOX does green-light the show, i would not be at all surprised if they targeted brad rutter as a chaser.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I think Justin Bernbach would be a good Chaser.
larkin1734
Contributor

Post by larkin1734 »

I know this is extremely short notice, but maybe someone can take advantage of this. The show is already auditioning potential contestants. LA-area folks who are available at noon or 5pm tomorrow can request an audition. You'll need to be available May 11 to May 16 to shoot in the UK and have a passport valid until December 11th.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Schliemann
sherder
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by sherder »

Schlie, AP, and Lark as chasers would keep me from even thinking about auditioning; however, I would watch for them every week.

mrbungle would be an entertaining chaser, too.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

larkin1734 wrote:I know this is extremely short notice, but maybe someone can take advantage of this. The show is already auditioning potential contestants. LA-area folks who are available at noon or 5pm tomorrow can request an audition. You'll need to be available May 11 to May 16 to shoot in the UK and have a passport valid until December 11th.
Someone who knows Boomie should tell him.
larkin1734
Contributor

Post by larkin1734 »

Austin Powers wrote:
larkin1734 wrote:I know this is extremely short notice, but maybe someone can take advantage of this. The show is already auditioning potential contestants. LA-area folks who are available at noon or 5pm tomorrow can request an audition. You'll need to be available May 11 to May 16 to shoot in the UK and have a passport valid until December 11th.
Someone who knows Boomie should tell him.
Someone did tell Boomie (and a few other notable names) before posting here. :D
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

The ITV site indicates the original show has a rotating stable of four Chasers, each with his or her own persona. Adapting that scheme for American audiences, and bearing in mind the Chasers have to go in with some existing game show cred, I would expect a line up like this: Ken Jennings (the clever brainiac poster child), Dave Madden (the no-holds-barred competitor), Claudia Perry (the tell-you-what-she-knows-and-what-she's-thinking player), and Vijay Balse (the methodical grind). Not that those personae are perfect fits for each of them . . . but they'd be encouraged to adapt.

There are dozens of other folks I'd love to see as Chasers, but I think the final line up will look a lot like that.

Rex
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Rex Kramer wrote: There are dozens of other folks I'd love to see as Chasers, but I think the final line up will look a lot like that.

Rex
OT somewhat, but every time I see 'Chaser' I can't help but think of these guys: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chaser
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

Volante wrote:
Rex Kramer wrote: There are dozens of other folks I'd love to see as Chasers, but I think the final line up will look a lot like that.

Rex
OT somewhat, but every time I see 'Chaser' I can't help but think of these guys: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chaser
Whereas I think of this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quidditch#Players :D
Schliemann

Post by Schliemann »

ahhhh. how'd i miss this?!

p.s. congrats sherder, j boarder of the month!

p.p.s. boston audtion emails. anyone know anything? thx!
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Did anyone from this forum go? Did anyone even show up?

Apparently they're still looking for folks to shoot the US pilot in the UK since I just got an e-mail blast from the casting director.

I meet all the requirements and an all-expense paid trip to London plus $1k sounds great, but the timing is problematic.
OCSam
larkin1734
Contributor

Post by larkin1734 »

I later found out that there would be a couple of rounds of callbacks, in addition to the initial audition. I could carve out time for the audition, but not two more meetings before early May. A four-day paid trip to London, with some spending cash, held great appeal.

They're still holding auditions. I'd do it if I could, but the timing just didn't work.
koam
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by koam »

Schliemann wrote:
p.p.s. boston audtion emails. anyone know anything? thx!

Yes. I just got a Jeopardy! Boston, May 9th Audition email today, April 19 based on March 28 Online test...if that's your question.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Tried out for "The Chase" today. It helps (with scheduling) to be unemployed!