Mike Richards OUT as host

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

zakharov
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Mike Richards OUT as host

Post by zakharov »

Feel like this should get its own thread as breaking news!

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/mike-r ... 235045394/

Here's his statement:
Dear Team,

It pains me that these past incidents and comments have cast such a shadow on Jeopardy! as we look to start a new chapter.

As I mentioned last week, I was deeply honored to be asked to host the syndicated show and was thrilled by the opportunity to expand my role. However, over the last several days it has become clear that moving forward as host would be too much of a distraction for our fans and not the right move for the show. As such, I will be stepping down as host effective immediately. As a result, we will be canceling production today.

SPT will now resume the search for a permanent syndicated host. In the meantime, we will be bringing back guest hosts to continue production for the new season, details of which will be announced next week.

I want to apologize to each of you for the unwanted negative attention that has come to Jeopardy! over the last few weeks and for the confusion and delays this is now causing. I know I have a lot of work to do to regain your trust and confidence.

Mike
Does anyone know if they taped Thursday as scheduled? Do we get one week of the sleaze before whatever guest hosts they can rustle up?

And does Bialik get the job? I thought she wasn't available to host full time but who knows.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
brucejoel199
Contributor

Re: Mike Richards OUT as host

Post by brucejoel199 »

zakharov wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:34 am Does anyone know if they taped Thursday as scheduled? Do we get one week of the sleaze before whatever guest hosts they can rustle up?

And does Bialik get the job? I thought she wasn't available to host full time but who knows.
They did tape yesterday so unless they try some deep-fakes, we're getting one week of shows hosted by Mike.

And I can't see Bialik getting it because if that TMZ report about their wanting her for the syndicated version but not being able to get her availability-wise is true, her availability hasn't changed sitcom-wise. I imagine it'll be Ken, given his in-studio presence, his "controversies" being nothing compared to Richards', & reports of him being Alex's preferred successor (great PR for TPTB to push).
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

brucejoel199 wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:38 am
zakharov wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:34 am Does anyone know if they taped Thursday as scheduled? Do we get one week of the sleaze before whatever guest hosts they can rustle up?
They did tape yesterday so unless they try some deep-fakes, we're getting one week of shows hosted by Mike.

I imagine it'll be Ken, given his in-studio presence, his "controversies" being nothing compared to Richards', & reports of him being Alex's preferred successor (great PR for TPTB to push).
Someone suggested Triumph the Insult Comic Dog at some point. This could be his shining hour.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

So how are they going to find guest hosts on short notice? They have audition tapes already. How long will it drag out? Will we be subjected to more of Levar Burton?
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

This is terrific news although it probably will increase my competition again in my attempts to get on the show. :lol:

Since they have to use yesterday's tapings (which already have a huge interest because Matt Amodio returns) one adjustment they certainly will make is to redub in Johnny Gilbert to say "and now the GUEST HOST of Jeopardy". :D
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

CNN just covered the story, and Stelter and both hosts argued for Laura Coates. There was a brief discussion of Bialek's future as prime-time host that did not include any mention of her alleged negatives and concluded that she would continue in her new role.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

I thought they'd try and ride this out, since a lot of damage was already done. Now they have to ride out constant calls for LeVar Burton and anything other than choosing Burton will keep feeding the media circus.

Looks like, for now, more rotating celebrity hosts. I didn't think Sony could possibly have handled this worse, but here we are...
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Just hire Buzzy Cohen already. He did a great job with the ToC.

I wonder if Mike Richards had to let himself know that he was fired. :D
georgespelvin

Post by georgespelvin »

I wish they would just pick Ken as the permanent host and be done with it (although Laura Coates, if she really was Alex's choice, must get a look see and should have the first time around).

Boy, I bet Aaron Rodgers wishes now he waited to report to training camp. :)
georgespelvin

Post by georgespelvin »

Anachronism wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:51 am I thought they'd try and ride this out, since a lot of damage was already done. Now they have to ride out constant calls for LeVar Burton and anything other than choosing Burton will keep feeding the media circus.
I wonder how many of the folks that are still clamoring for LaVar Burton actually watched his stint as host. Not many I'll bet.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

CailinGaoilge wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:50 am CNN just covered the story, and Stelter and both hosts argued for Laura Coates.
I was surprised she didn't get a guest host spot last season considering Alex specifically mentioned her a few years ago. Maybe now's her chance.
billiej

Post by billiej »

What a cluster. I watch the show for the clues and contestants, not for drama. As much as I wasn't for Richards as host, I would've preferred they just carried on for awhile rather than the immediate backpedaling and return of the revolving door. To me, this is way more of a distraction than having him stay on, even if it was just for one season
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

georgespelvin wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:53 am I wish they would just pick Ken as the permanent host
I wish they would just pick Ken as the permanent EP
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

Maybe they should cancel the new prime time Celebrity College Team Extreme Ninja Jeopardy Tournament and work with Bialik's schedule as best they can.

Of course, knowing Sony at this point, we can expect Matt Lauer to lead off the new round of guest hosts. He's been vetted, right?
Xu Donym
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Xu Donym »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:01 am
georgespelvin wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:53 am I wish they would just pick Ken as the permanent host
I wish they would just pick Ken as the permanent EP
This. Ken as EP with rare clue-video appearances. Laura Coates as guest host (unless she bombs on camera) until Mayim Bialik becomes available.

Let Mike Richards redeem himself with full-time EP attention to Wheel of Fortune, and reward him with a hosting gig over there when Pat Sajak retires, as long as the Wheel staff are happy with him.
Fishercat

Post by Fishercat »

I don't think Sony had much of a choice after the podcast comments became public if they want the show to survive. This feels very weird to say given the relative severity of an insensitive comment versus sexual harassment/wrongful termination allegations, but on a host level the former is probably more concerning for Sony. Potentially having Jewish, female, and/or overweight contestants or staff having those kinds of comments in the back of their head isn't really tenable and I think opens up some valid avenue for complaints about bias from the host against certain types of contestants, which would be a death knell for an up-and-up gameshow.

I don't know how far it could actually go in reality but merely the perception is likely enough. As someone who is only one of those three things (overweight to be clear), I live with the understanding that much of the population will judge me on it, but I'd certainly feel less comfortable about going on the show with him as host.
gameshowfandanny

Post by gameshowfandanny »

I'm not surprised to hear this news, but I am disappointed that they are doing another round of guest hosts. I think they should have just chosen another person who guest hosted in Season 37.
Xu Donym
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Xu Donym »

Anachronism wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:04 am the new prime time Celebrity College Team Extreme Ninja Naked and Afraid Double Dare Slime Jeopardy Tournament
Fixed it for you! :D
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Fishercat wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:08 am I don't think Sony had much of a choice after the podcast comments became public
You mean the public podcast that had been publicly posted for years? :D