Ways to Play Jeopardy?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

DysonSphere
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Ways to Play Jeopardy?

Post by DysonSphere »

Is there a way to play Jeopardy against other Boardies? I practice against the computer AI on different consoles, but I always trounce them and it's not the same.

This is a long shot, but does anyone have the Playstation 3 version? Would you want to play a game sometime? There is a multiplayer option that allows you to invite people by username.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Re: Ways to Play Jeopardy?

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

I wish I could say I did. I do have an original PS3 still kicking (though it is collecting dust), but I don't have the game.

Some other options I know of are Zoom/Skype/Discord calls with the game over jeopardylabs.com, of which I have a few games set up if others wanted to play.

The other I know of is jeo-party.com. It's not quite the same as a real game, in that there's no buzzing, only the first one to type out the correct response gets the money, and there's no penalty for wrong guesses. It's mostly just a good tool to play by yourself, to test your knowledge recall time.
ClosingTime
Valued Contributor

Post by ClosingTime »

This is an option where you can play against other people:

https://protobowl.com/jeopardy/lobby
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

ClosingTime wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:40 pm This is an option where you can play against other people:

Ok that's really fun.

I played for about 20 minutes and I'll come back later.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

The best way is the excellent mod for the game Tabletop Simulator.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 2159649953

Everyone would need a copy of the game though.

There aren't many good example videos on youtube I could find but this should give you an idea.

I've played it quite a bit by searching "jeopardy" in Tabletop Simulator. There is an open lobby relatively often.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

bluejaylink wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:06 am The best way is the excellent mod for the game Tabletop Simulator.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 2159649953

Everyone would need a copy of the game though.
Ooh, now this interests me as I have TTS, and never knew about this mod. I would definitely be up for trying this out.
DysonSphere

Post by DysonSphere »

MattKnowles wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:30 pm
ClosingTime wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:40 pm This is an option where you can play against other people:

Ok that's really fun.

I had a lot of fun with it. Do we know why it seems to only draw clues from 2010-2013? Is there a way to set it up with more recent clues?
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

DysonSphere wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:14 pm
MattKnowles wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:30 pm

Ok that's really fun.

I had a lot of fun with it. Do we know why it seems to only draw clues from 2010-2013? Is there a way to set it up with more recent clues?
I always assumed they used the J-Archive database linked here:
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Anybody want to set up a game/contest? It's more fun with other people.

I'll try to be on at 8 pm pacific time today if anybody wants to stop by and make it a contest.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

MattKnowles wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:06 pm https://protobowl.com/jeopardy/lobby
I'll try to be on at 8 pm pacific time today if anybody wants to stop by and make it a contest.
I've been playing on my phone, tapping with my index finger, and the pace is ridiculous. If you see someone struggling to type in complete answers, it might be me!
DysonSphere

Post by DysonSphere »

squarekara wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:30 pm
MattKnowles wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:06 pm https://protobowl.com/jeopardy/lobby
I've been playing on my phone, tapping with my index finger, and the pace is ridiculous. If you see someone struggling to type in complete answers, it might be me!
I've been playing. I know most of the answers but can't even finish reading the question, much less the question and category, before somebody rings in!
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

DysonSphere wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:11 am
I've been playing. I know most of the answers but can't even finish reading the question, much less the question and category, before somebody rings in!
Yeah, I had fun playing last night (despite getting mightily outbuzzed for a portion). Was everyone on there from the JBoards, or were there other random people? I didn't recognize any usernames.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:50 pm
DysonSphere wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:11 am
Yeah, I had fun playing last night (despite getting mightily outbuzzed for a portion). Was everyone on there from the JBoards, or were there other random people? I didn't recognize any usernames.
I was playing last night when people wanted to get into a discussion about math. I can only multitask so much. Don't make me turn this car around.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I’m trying to get on at 8 pm pacific time every night and I’ll try to play for at least a half hour if there are people to play against. I’m using the name Matt. Other people I’ve run into were not from jboard. I’ll probably stop playing after a week or two since I’m already seeing questions repeat. There is a slider to adjust the speed but it’s usually set much faster than I can read the clue.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

MattKnowles wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:36 am I’m trying to get on at 8 pm pacific time every night and I’ll try to play for at least a half hour if there are people to play against. I’m using the name Matt. Other people I’ve run into were not from jboard. I’ll probably stop playing after a week or two since I’m already seeing questions repeat. There is a slider to adjust the speed but it’s usually set much faster than I can read the clue.
I'll try and do the same. My name is the same.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

MattKnowles wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:36 am I’m trying to get on at 8 pm pacific time every night and I’ll try to play for at least a half hour if there are people to play against. I’m using the name Matt. Other people I’ve run into were not from jboard. I’ll probably stop playing after a week or two since I’m already seeing questions repeat. There is a slider to adjust the speed but it’s usually set much faster than I can read the clue.
I was playing with you the other evening. ;) And, yeah, what's with the repeat questions?
DysonSphere

Post by DysonSphere »

squarekara wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:40 pm
I was playing with you the other evening. ;) And, yeah, what's with the repeat questions?
I've been playing as munificent anteater (I didn't choose the name) or Daniel. The question set is definitely weird. I've gotten some repeats, which shouldn't theoretically happen. Is there a way we could create our own channel with more recent JArchive questions?
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

DysonSphere wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:08 pm
I've been playing as munificent anteater (I didn't choose the name) or Daniel. The question set is definitely weird. I've gotten some repeats, which shouldn't theoretically happen. Is there a way we could create our own channel with more recent JArchive questions?
I'm "antediluvian monkey," which is a pretty dead-on handle. The greatest satisfaction so far has been correctly guessing unseen visual clues. Least satisfying is the failure of my onscreen keyboard (or any response field) to appear after a successful buzz. Additional buzzes don't work, and the time just runs out. I don't really understand the settings, but I don't think it's an early buzz/lockout function. From what/how many specific seasons are these questions drawn? Because of the pace, I haven't paid attention.
DysonSphere

Post by DysonSphere »

squarekara wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:10 am
DysonSphere wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:08 pm
I'm "antediluvian monkey," which is a pretty dead-on handle. The greatest satisfaction so far has been correctly guessing unseen visual clues. Least satisfying is the failure of my onscreen keyboard (or any response field) to appear after a successful buzz. Additional buzzes don't work, and the time just runs out. I don't really understand the settings, but I don't think it's an early buzz/lockout function. From what/how many specific seasons are these questions drawn? Because of the pace, I haven't paid attention.
They are all 2010-2013. I would absolutely love this if it drew from more recent questions. I will email the admin about what is possible, but for all I know they died 5 years ago.
DysonSphere

Post by DysonSphere »

Hey all, I've been having fun playing ProtoBowl (linked above). But I'd love to play some real Jeopardy games against you all in the true format of the show. Does anyone have a PS3 and want to buy the Jeopardy PS3 game so we can all play? You can pick it up very cheap on ebay. I think it's the best video game version of the show. The PS4 version is apparently multiple choice so no thanks. I would be a reliable partner if anyone wants to pick it up and play.