Monday, September 13, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, September 13, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, September 13, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE 13 COLONIES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Founded by an advocate of religious freedom, it was the site of America’s first Baptist church & oldest synagogue

Matt Amodio: 42800+25000=67800 (19x = $642,601)
Amdé Mengistu: 5400-5400=0
Gabbie Kim: 7200+1799=8999

Correct response:
Spoiler
Rhode Island (Amdé – Providence, Rhode Island)

Daily Doubles
Matt: 5400+5400
Matt: 22000+6000
Matt: 28000+4000

Coryats
Matt: 31200
Amdé: 5400
Gabbie: 7200

Combined: 43,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Matt: 14800
Amdé: 1400
Gabbie: 2400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Slight to medium changes on opening music, closing music, opening graphics and the set (mostly background). Johnny was there to be greeted by the host and that short clip about the Alex Trebek Studio was inserted.

Values are the same for the clues and $1K and $2K for non-winners.

Matt had 14200 at the first break and 14800 to end the J! round. The challengers must have got a little pep talk or buzzer hints or something to keep Matt in check for the 2nd segment.

For one of the Canadian singers the correct response was phrased with, "Is it..."?

The FJ! clue had me match the correct players for not making the mistake of being too specific. That was high school U.S. History coming back to me for a quick solve with no detours.

Matt maintains the streak of 18x champs never losing in tying JZ and DM at 19 wins. Up next? JC.

Mike's hosting seemed the same to me as his first go around and he was introduced as host.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

before reading of FJ was finished, wrote down Providence. Then thought that I could easily put Rhode Island and still be correct if Providence was the correct response, but also correct if Providence wasn't, crossed it out and wrote the state name on time. Spent the next 15-20 seconds wondering why it wasn't pinned, learned it was pinned upon the reveal.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

I wonder if this episode had the shortest time between taping and airing? August 19- September 13, less than one month.

Normally taping is at least a couple months prior to airing.
Douglas Squasoni
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

I question the value of the 1st half of FJ! as a TOM, if one does not know the pieces of the 2nd half.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

For those of you that know where to look, there is a taste of the opening, closing and DD1 in a roughly edited 4-minute clip.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

The oldest synagogue is in Newport, otherwise I think they'd have taken Amde's response. (Maybe they mentioned that, I dunno.)
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

Given the official name of the colony, and the question asking for the name of the colony, why is
Spoiler
Rhode Island
acceptable, while
Spoiler
Providence
is not?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:28 pm The oldest synagogue is in Newport, otherwise I think they'd have taken Amde's response. (Maybe they mentioned that, I dunno.)
Mike said Amdé was too specific since the synagogue is not in Providence. Mike did not name Newport.
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

Spoiler
Is the Final Jeopardy! think cue the same one used since 10/13/2008?
tddeveryday
DIY Problem Solver

Post by tddeveryday »

I was surprised by how much I liked Mike today. I was expecting to hate him and take pleasure in his pain. But no. I felt bad for him. Even though you could see flashes of discomfort on his face here and there, he actually did a pretty good job of bringing some charisma to the table.
My lucky numbers are 6, 66, and 666.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Weren't several states founded by religious freedom advocates? I said Maryland as a guess out of that pile. What do I not know that made this FJ apparently so easy? Or is it just common knowledge where the first synagogue and/or Baptist church were?
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

mahatma wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:12 pmI question the value of the 1st half of FJ! as a TOM, if one does not know the pieces of the 2nd half.
You can stop questioning. The first half of the clue is the only reason I came up with the correct response. --Bob
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

Bob78164 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:00 pm
mahatma wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:12 pmI question the value of the 1st half of FJ! as a TOM, if one does not know the pieces of the 2nd half.
You can stop questioning. The first half of the clue is the only reason I came up with the correct response. --Bob
Okay, I’ll stop then. Well, I’ll stop as soon as somebody explains to me that the founder of [redacted] was more of an advocate for freedom of religion than, say, [redacted].
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I would appreciate receiving said explanation as well. What about "religious freedom" led one straight to the expected-response state?

If you Google "William Penn religious freedom", you get this:
When he founded the colony of Pennsylvania in 1682, Penn welcomed practitioners of all faiths. In 1701, Penn issued his Charter of Privileges which specified religious freedom within the colony. Penn's charter contemplates a monotheistic, Christian society in which only Christians were permitted to hold public office.
If you Google "James Oglethorpe religious freedom", you get this:
Oglethorpe himself led the first group of 114 colonists on the frigate Anne, landing at the site of today's Savannah on February 1, 1733. The original charter banned slavery and granted religious freedom, leading to the foundation of a Jewish community in Savannah.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Way to keep the mojo flowing, Matt, especially with all the VIPs in attendance!
tddeveryday wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:10 pm I was surprised by how much I liked Mike today. I was expecting to hate him and take pleasure in his pain. But no. I felt bad for him. Even though you could see flashes of discomfort on his face here and there, he actually did a pretty good job of bringing some charisma to the table.
Don't forget about Ken and Buzzy shoved inhospitably into the cloakroom.
Robert K S wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:38 pm If you Google "James Oglethorpe religious freedom", you get this:
Oglethorpe himself led the first group of 114 colonists on the frigate Anne, landing at the site of today's Savannah on February 1, 1733. The original charter banned slavery and granted religious freedom, leading to the foundation of a Jewish community in Savannah.
My first thought was Oglethorpe/Georgia.
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

Its been So Quiet around the Jeopardy Community the last couple week, and that TPIR and Wheel have gotten a lot of press about their seasons starting and this show really didnt that i kinda forgot about the whole controversy at the end of last season and that Richards was Hosting this week. i guess thats a good thing?

Not shocked by the new music and set at all, kind of figured that would happen, Though the music is more of a rewrite of the old one. Sadly the FJ Music is still the Same. did it seem like it was a little too loud when Johnny introduced the Contestants? I Like they added the Category to the screen when the music is playing. Mike was Listed as Executive Producer and sadly the "In honor of Alex Trebek" is no longer at the end of the closing Credits.

Lach Trach - Banana Republic
tddeveryday
DIY Problem Solver

Post by tddeveryday »

I'm glad to see others were perplexed at how easy this FJ seemed to be for today's players. (I guessed Pennsylvania because of William Penn.) The challengers seemed to be above average and were beaten by Matt's buzzer speed.
My lucky numbers are 6, 66, and 666.