Tuesday, September 14, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, September 14, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by floridagator »

What a lousy deal that Daniel's key to breaking Matt's runaway turned on the silly question where the number of letters was pertinent. Given how final turned out, it wouldn't have mattered anyway. That was a ridiculously easy final.

Daniel showed in Double Jeopardy that he had the Rhythm to beat Matt on the buzzer. Matt absolutely had to know just about every one of those clues that Daniel ringing on first.

The question which South Dakota City was named for deceased trees was not worthy of being a daily double. Aberdeen? No. Sioux Falls? No. Watertown? No. Sturgis? No. Belle Fourche? No.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
theFJguy

Post by theFJguy »

Category 13 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:09 pm
theFJguy wrote:Daily Doubles:
Daniel: 1600+2000
Elizabeth: 4400+4400
These are backwards
Fixed, thank you.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

floridagator wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:12 pm What a lousy deal that Daniel's key to breaking Matt's runaway turned on the silly question where the number of letters was pertinent.
Yeah, I don't like when they throw a singular/plural choice in there.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

41R. 3/4 on big clues. Didn't get Milton and didn't have time to think of a guess.

A lot of the clues I didn't get could have been gettable if I had more coffee. Same thing for the clues I missed.

Missed Project Runway and said Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, missed 10 and said 15, missed tea and said pekoe, missed earthquake and said revolution.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are Dalton Gang, Cody (Wyoming), manifesto, Mt. Moriah, and almond.

I really like Kefir. I drink it just about every day. Tastes like yogurt.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:42 pm The opening was different and had a B&W Fleming board...
The Fleming version was in color from the beginning, for the record -- I'm surprised they didn't use a clip from one of the couple of episodes that's known to survive in color.
William Bermudez
Contributor

Post by William Bermudez »

I was pleased to hear Johnny's new intro:

"From the Alex Trebek Stage at Sony Pictures Studios...THIS IS JEOPARDY!"

It's cool that the studio gets an name-drop in the intro like back in the day, and I also like that Alex is mentioned. Kind of reminds me of TPIR's intro.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Did anyone get FJ from knowing what Armalcolite is before seeing the clue? I liked this FJ because it required some thinking, but enough was given in the clue to figure it out fairly quickly.
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

Now if only the Think! music gets updated a month into the season, then the credits would only have Merv Griffin, John Hoke, and Bleeding Fingers Music as the music composers/arrangers. And personally, I think the FJ think music ought to be updated to match the new theme.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:59 pm Anyone else get Mount Moriah? (I just said Moriah, but I'm assuming they'd take it.) That was a pretty deep pull for Bible knowledge. Even back in the day it might have been a TS.
I certainly did, since the Rosh Hashanah Torah reading is about the binding of Yitzhak.

FJ was one of those clues I really like. You don't know it, but they give you enough to suss out the answer. I used most of my 30 seconds.

I still find the curtain behind the contestants to be distracting.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Felt bad for Daniel, who gave Matt a spirited challenge. He was keeping with 50 percent of the lead until that unfortunate miss and rebound late, and then Matt put it away through sheer determination. All moot due to Daniel's FJ miss, but he is one of the few to keep the game in reach until nearly the final stages during this run.

Starting the year 2/2 on FJs at home and looking to keep the streak alive! Had enough time to name all three astronauts but it did take about 10 seconds to unpack the clue.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Poll request for “I got this from 1969 being included”.
billiej

Post by billiej »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:46 am Poll request for “I got this from 1969 being included”.
Seconded. Until the year clobbered me in the head, I was trying to think of some scientists.
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:59 pm Anyone else get Mount Moriah?
I had no hope of getting Mount Moriah, but I surely did think of you after that clue. :D
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:59 pm and that's when I thought of Buzz Armstrong and everything clicked
Boy, I sure hope that's not what you wrote down. :)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Picked Off wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:31 am Felt bad for Daniel, who gave Matt a spirited challenge. He was keeping with 50 percent of the lead until that unfortunate miss and rebound late, and then Matt put it away through sheer determination. All moot due to Daniel's FJ miss, but he is one of the few to keep the game in reach until nearly the final stages during this run.
Daniel might not have been in a mood to really rack his brain for an FJ response. If he'd been still in the hunt, I think we'd at least have seen a guess on his screen. What really made the point moot was not his miss but Matt's get. I was relieved for Daniel on that score since it makes this a clean loss, not something caused by a single correctable mistake.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

trainman wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:11 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:42 pm The opening was different and had a B&W Fleming board...
The Fleming version was in color from the beginning, for the record -- I'm surprised they didn't use a clip from one of the couple of episodes that's known to survive in color.
Great point! Probably they wanted to show "young Fleming" and I don't think any of those early-days tapings survive in color.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Foretopman wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:32 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:59 pm and that's when I thought of Buzz Armstrong and everything clicked
My bad. Neil Armstrong. Buzz Lightyear. Tom Collins. They all get mixed up in my head, you know?
merica
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by merica »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:19 am
Picked Off wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:31 am Felt bad for Daniel, who gave Matt a spirited challenge. He was keeping with 50 percent of the lead until that unfortunate miss and rebound late, and then Matt put it away through sheer determination. All moot due to Daniel's FJ miss, but he is one of the few to keep the game in reach until nearly the final stages during this run.
Daniel might not have been in a mood to really rack his brain for an FJ response. If he'd been still in the hunt, I think we'd at least have seen a guess on his screen. What really made the point moot was not his miss but Matt's get. I was relieved for Daniel on that score since it makes this a clean loss, not something caused by a single correctable mistake.
And a poor FJ bet to boot from Daniel. Had Elizabeth wagered it all, she takes second by a buck. A $2 wagering error easily could have turned into a real loss of $1,000. Yikes.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

I got FJ, and I'm marking it in my book as a correct, but on the set I don't know if I would have had time to write it down.

I stared at "armalco" trying to come up with names, and that didn't work. I jumped over to 1969 mineral, and hit on moon landing, but it truly took around 25 seconds. I count it as a make because at the end of the music my daughter asked who, and I easily responded with Armstrong, Aldrin or Collins like I knew the whole time.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:21 am
My bad. Neil Armstrong. Buzz Lightyear. Tom Collins. They all get mixed up in my head, you know?
Just to clarify. If you went with Armstrong, Lightyear. That would not be correct. :)
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Sherm wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:46 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:21 am
Just to clarify. If you went with Armstrong, Lightyear. That would not be correct. :)
No worries there. I went with Lightyear and Collins.