Wednesday, September 15, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, September 15, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, September 15, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AUTHORS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In addition to knowing many languages & making up his own, he also taught language at the universities of Leeds & Oxford

Matt Amodio: 41200+20000=61200 (21x = $740,001)
Maureen Skehan: 7600+7600=15200
Nick Auricchio: 8000-0=8000

Correct response:
Spoiler
J.R.R. Tolkien (Matt & Maureen both spelled it Tolkein) (Nick - ?????)

Daily Doubles
Matt: 5400+5400
Matt: 14800+6000
Matt: 26400+4000

Coryats
Matt: 30000
Maureen: 7600
Nick: 8000

Combined: 45,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Matt: 11200
Maureen: 7200
Nick: 2400
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

I'm surprised the Richards regime didn't neg them for the spelling error.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Maureen hung in there as best as she could in the J! round with 7200 without a DD and Matt doubling 5400.

The DJ! round was nighty-night quickly for the challengers. As well as Matt does finding and converting the DDs I find it hard to avoid Monday morning quarterbacking for some of his selections. Looking at my sheet and the categories I find myself thinking "Yes" and "No" for some of Matt's picks. To me, Matt does not check on all the most likely DD spots with quite the skill of other J! greats.

Nick's was a distinct sound-alike for me as I kept hearing, Chris Colfer.

The FJ! category had me remind myself to not ignore across the Atlantic and check on Doyle if needed as too many times I've failed to even think of him.

The FJ! clue took care of the side of the pond. From there it was pick the right name. After brief detours I "swiftly dodged" two other names that came to me first before joining (though I spelled him correctly) Matt & Maureen.

"IN" THE DICTIONARY $400: This word means drunk

The correct word from Matt was intoxicated while I counted my response of inebriated correct as well since the only qualifier was starting with "in" and nothing about word length. Any other acceptable responses?

Matt at 21 has 11 games to go to match James at 32. Money (other than complete totals after special play) are even more distant in the conversation.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

mahatma wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:37 pm I'm surprised the Richards regime didn't neg them for the spelling error.
Mike's words after Maureen's response were, "We won't take away for spelling, yes."
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:46 pm The correct word from Matt was intoxicated while I counted my response of inebriated correct as well since the only qualifier was starting with "in" and nothing about word length. Any other acceptable responses?
I had inebriated, too. I can't think of any other words that fit, but "in one's cups" would be a valid phrase.
mungar
Valued Contributor

Post by mungar »

Oof, one of those FJ's that seems obvious in retrospect, but I completely whiffed. Settled on Anthony Burgess.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

British guy who invented a language of his own made this one an instaget for me.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Add me to the "inebriated" pile. Clearly correct and I sort of expected Mike to say "or inebriated, yes".

Another one back in the SJ round that's closer to the edge was the $600 clue in REDUPLICATIVES: LET'S "GIVE 'EM THE OLD" THIS, SHOWY ACTION THAT CAUSES DISTRACTION. They wanted and got "razzle dazzle" which is the perfect fit given the Chicago TOM. But I said "flim-flam" and wonder if I'd have gotten away with it. It's definitely reduplicative, even if not in the rhyming way of the Humpty Dumpty example or any of the accepted responses. So the only question is whether it's a good enough fit for "showy action that causes distraction." My sense of the word says yes, but the colorless dictionary definitions may leave me short of a get.

I'll be checking the box that says I spelled Tolkien's name correctly. I thought of him immediately but spent a little time trying to decide whether I knew he'd taught at Leeds. I couldn't recall that part of his C.V. but couldn't think of any response that was even close to as good. So I stuck with J.R.R. and wasn't surprised that he was correct.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

mungar wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:43 pm Oof, one of those FJ's that seems obvious in retrospect, but I completely whiffed. Settled on Anthony Burgess.
That's a really plausible guess. I'm sure you'd have tossed him aside in a second if Tolkien had occurred to you. But still, not bad.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Matt had an interview about being a huge LOTR fan, so there was little doubt he would get this one.
tddeveryday
DIY Problem Solver

Post by tddeveryday »

I also said "inebriated".

I liked Mike on Monday, but his energy is flagging now. He's keeping his comments to a minimum, probably because he's aware the fans hate him. He's joking only in the contestant interviews and not at all during gameplay. It seems like his heart's not in it. (Which isn't to say he was dazzling in his original run or anything...)
My lucky numbers are 6, 66, and 666.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

tddeveryday wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:26 pm I liked Mike on Monday, but his energy is flagging now. He's keeping his comments to a minimum, probably because he's aware the fans hate him. He's joking only in the contestant interviews and not at all during gameplay. It seems like his heart's not in it. (Which isn't to say he was dazzling in his original run or anything...)
He must be dreading having to let Ken and Buzzy out of The Cupboard at lunchtime.
tddeveryday
DIY Problem Solver

Post by tddeveryday »

squarekara wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:58 pm He must be dreading having to let Ken and Buzzy out of The Cupboard at lunchtime.
I was thinking about that thing with Ken and Buzzy. I believe all the bad stories about Mike. I'm sure he really is a gigantic jerk, but I genuinely believe the reason he asked them to sit in the green room was because he was nervous.
My lucky numbers are 6, 66, and 666.
davey

Post by davey »

mungar wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:43 pm Oof, one of those FJ's that seems obvious in retrospect, but I completely whiffed. Settled on Anthony Burgess.
I thought about Burgess too, but ended up with Kipling, thinking maybe he'd made language up for Jungle Book. I even made a detour to George Martin, but still the most famous fantasy writer (who was also a professor) never came to mind... :oops: I would have spelled his name right, too!
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:16 pm

Another one back in the SJ round that's closer to the edge was the $600 clue in REDUPLICATIVES: LET'S "GIVE 'EM THE OLD" THIS, SHOWY ACTION THAT CAUSES DISTRACTION. They wanted and got "razzle dazzle" which is the perfect fit given the Chicago TOM. But I said "flim-flam" and wonder if I'd have gotten away with it. It's definitely reduplicative, even if not in the rhyming way of the Humpty Dumpty example or any of the accepted responses. So the only question is whether it's a good enough fit for "showy action that causes distraction." My sense of the word says yes, but the colorless dictionary definitions may leave me short of a get.
You need "flummery" to complete the idea... :)
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

MarkBarrett wrote:Nick's was a distinct sound-alike for me as I kept hearing, Chris Colfer.
For me, it was Neil Sedaka.
If he can sing, he would take the prize in a karaoke contest.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I don't know how legit it is to say someone "made up" a language if it is for the purpose of fiction or fantasy. I don't know the backstory of Esperanto, but I assumed it could have come from an academic (and author) at University. Since I don't know, I had no guesses. I never dreamed that Klingon, Elvish, or pig Latin would satisfy the clue. On reveal, I think that Tolkien's academic career was in my file cabinet.

Thanks to the boardies for the Chyron/scorebug intel on Monday's thread. I will bemoan the lack of a scorebug as soon as the games get competitive again.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

45R. 4/4 on big clues.

Missed nitty gritty and said brass tacks, missed oxygen and said nitrogen, missed turning into your parents and said paying too much for insurance, missed coal and said methane, missed indolent and said indigent, missed Elba and said St. Helena. My trivia knowledge is getting there but I need to work on my ability to read.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are Harry Hole, American Heart Association, 90 Day Fiance, Sunisa Lee, and insouciant.

I also said inebriated and counted it.

I can't believe Matt Amodio spelled Tolkien wrong. Also interesting that he went to hunt for daily doubles in DJ instead of going to the bottom row. I think he normally goes for the bottom row but maybe he was concerned about his competition today.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.