LeVar Burton doesn't WANT your stupid job

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

LeVar Burton doesn't WANT your stupid job

Post by opusthepenguin »

squarekara
J! Reactionary

Re: LeVar Burton doesn't WANT your stupid job

Post by squarekara »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:42 am https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/lev ... 47610.html
There. Hope you guys are happy.
I love Trevor Noah's analogy of "the shipwreck that leads you to the magical island."
lstone19
Valued Contributor

Post by lstone19 »

Getting really tired of all these popular press articles that keep referring to Burton as a "fan favorite." I get the distinct impression that most of them think a Venn diagram of Jeopardy fans and LeVar Burton fans has the two circles almost identical whereas it appears that they actually barely intersect.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

lstone19 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:11 pm Getting really tired of all these popular press articles that keep referring to Burton as a "fan favorite." I get the distinct impression that most of them think a Venn diagram of Jeopardy fans and LeVar Burton fans has the two circles almost identical whereas it appears that they actually barely intersect.
nobody ever says whose fans...LeVar is a fan favorite of LeVar's fans, not Jeopardy fans.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Danmel
Valued Contributor

Post by Danmel »

triviawayne wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:11 pm
lstone19 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:11 pm Getting really tired of all these popular press articles that keep referring to Burton as a "fan favorite." I get the distinct impression that most of them think a Venn diagram of Jeopardy fans and LeVar Burton fans has the two circles almost identical whereas it appears that they actually barely intersect.
nobody ever says whose fans...LeVar is a fan favorite of LeVar's fans, not Jeopardy fans.
Bingo!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

If the people who actually watch Jeopardy voted, we'd get Wilford Brimley.
DysonSphere
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by DysonSphere »

There are multiple ways to interpret this. I'm choosing the one where Levar put the good of the show above his personal ambition, and my opinion of him for bowing out has risen immensely.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

alietr wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:22 pm If the people who actually watch Jeopardy voted, we'd get Wilford Brimley.
Jeopardy will be matching today’s winnings in a donation to the American Diabeetus Association.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

I assume the fan favorite label is based on the online petition in support of making Burton the host (and which, full disclosure, I signed) that is still active and is, as I look now, up to 287,000 signers. It's definitely fair to say that he has benefited from the weight of popular opinion in contrast with many of the other candidates.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

alietr wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:22 pm If the people who actually watch Jeopardy voted, we'd get Wilford Brimley.
I'm never sure whether to be happy or sad that I'm older than Wilford Brimley was when he played an old guy in The Natural, Cocoon, and those oatmeal commercials (at least until the end of the 80s).
Mario500
Valued Contributor

Post by Mario500 »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:42 am https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/lev ... 47610.html

There. Hope you guys are happy.
(finds these parts of the article to had been better than the name of this discussion and certain other parts of the article (specifically some of its descriptions))
"You know, we did a Kickstarter several years ago," Burton explained. "I discovered then that the generation of adults now, who grew up on Reading Rainbow, they were down with whatever it is I wanted to do, and the same was true with this Jeopardy! thing. I made it public that I wanted it for myself, that it made sense to me, and they were all about it. It made as much sense to them as it did to me. And, so, they wanted it for me as much as I wanted it."
"The crazy thing is that when you set your sights on something, you know, they say be careful of what you wish for, because what I found out is that it wasn't the thing that I wanted after all," revealed Burton. "What I wanted was to compete. I mean, I wanted the job, right, but then, when I didn't get it, it was, like, well, okay, what's next? And, so, the opportunities that have come my way as a result of not getting that gig, I couldn't have dreamt it up. If you had given me a pen and paper and said, well, so what do you want this to really look like? If it doesn't include Jeopardy! I wouldn't have been this generous to myself."
Last edited by Mario500 on Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

Not that judging celebrities is worth the amount of time it's taking me to type this post, but he strikes me as someone who puts a lot into everything he does. I didn't think he was right for Jeopardy, but even though I haven't seen Reading Rainbow I think a lot of his work on other shows.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Yahoo News: LeVar Burton calls out journalist over ‘Jeopardy!’ comments on Twitter.
https://news.yahoo.com/levar-burton-cal ... 14071.html
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

John Amos was a better Kunta Kinte.
mikebdoss

Post by mikebdoss »

squarekara wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:40 pm Yahoo News: LeVar Burton calls out journalist over ‘Jeopardy!’ comments on Twitter.
https://news.yahoo.com/levar-burton-cal ... 14071.html

From the story:
Despite a public outcry for Burton to take over following the death of longtime host Alex Trebek, ABC apparently had no intention of seriously considering Burton for the full-time gig, as previously reported by theGrio.
It'd be great if journalists would stop saying this had anything to do with ABC (in terms of choosing the host) as well. I feel like that's a good quick test to see if the reporter in question has any idea what they're talking about here.
TheTabbyWhisperer
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by TheTabbyWhisperer »

And here I thought it was just Jeopardy fans who thought your hosting was an ordeal, LeVar.