Friday, September 17, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, September 17, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, September 17, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
19th CENTURY U.S. POLITICS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Named after a U.K. political party that helped depose a king, the U.S. Whig Party was formed to oppose this man

Matt Amodio: 38400+12000=50400 (23x = $825,801)
Samit Sarkar: 11400-4999=6401
Odessa Madakacherry: 3200+3200=6400

Correct response:
Spoiler
Andrew Jackson (Samit – Calhoun)

Daily Doubles
Matt: 4600+4600
Matt: 14000+8000
Matt: 34400+2000

Coryats
Matt: 28200
Samit: 11400
Odessa: 3200

Combined: 42,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Matt: 12400
Samit: 4200
Odessa: 3600
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

theFJguy wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:33 pmFINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
19th CENTURY U.S. POLITICS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Named after a U.K. political party that helped depose a king, the U.S. Whig Party was formed to oppose this man

Matt Amodio: 38400+12000=50400 (23x = $825,801)
Samit Sarkar: 11400-4999=6401
Odessa Madakacherry: 3200+3200=6400

Correct response:
Spoiler
Andrew Jackson (Samit – Calhoun)
I had trouble parsing the clue. For a while I thought it was saying the man, rather than the party, was named after the U.K. political party. Once I parsed the clue correctly, the correct response was clear. Clearer wording would have been, "The U.S. Whig Party, which was named after a U.K. political party that helped depose a king, was formed to oppose this man. --Bob
Last edited by Bob78164 on Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Mike: And I wanna thank our incredible team here at Jeopardy! for continuing this great legacy. Have a great weekend. We'll see you Monday.

Yeah, Mike knew.

Samit: You may not have known where DD3 was, but you should have known it was not in LET'S VISIT MARS where DD2 was found. :roll:

In 10th grade typing class I had a bottle of the Nesmith product. When another student asked to borrow it I would always say I don't have Wite-Out, but I do have... The funny thing is it was I have no idea how many years later that I finally discovered the other product was Wite Out and not White Out which I had never seen and only heard.

Matt was 3/3 on DDs. Yeah, good luck beating him.

The FJ! category had me reminding myself not to mix up Manifest Destiny & Monroe Doctrine like I botched last season.

The FJ! clue had me match Matt and Odessa and like them I did not bother with a first name as no way the judges would stonewall the surname approach.

I wonder if Ken or Buzzy would have had a quick "no" to only give Matt one shot at the Annie song? By J! rules Matt corrected before judgment so no problem there.

Monday Mayim. If Matt were to lose then Mayim would take the blame even if it was all Matt's fault or a superior performance by a challenger.

All I know is I swept the last Mike week for FJ! clues, so I'm blaming the host if I miss on Monday. :)
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

Bob78164 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:50 pm I had trouble parsing the clue. For a while I thought it was saying the man, rather than the party, was named after the U.K. political party. Once I parsed the clue correctly, the correct response was clear. Clearer wording would have been, "The U.S. Whig Party, which was named after a U.K. political party that helped depose a king, was formed to oppose this man. --Bob
I had an identical process. Fortunately, the clue was awkward enough that I read it a second time. Response not being clear to me, but there's this long gap in my knowledge of controversial figures between founders and Lincoln, so it was more an educated guess.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Instaget FJ. I agree it wasn’t the best written answer we’ve ever seen.

When Mike said “We’ll see you Monday”, Bamawoman replied “No, we won’t!”.

Samit fought the good fight but Matt finding and nailing all three DDs isn’t going to help your cause.

I got the Mars DD right but I had to stop myself from saying “little green men”.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

One too early. I went with JQA.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

I have to know if anyone matched me with "have sex" instead of "exercise" for what "I'm too tired" is often an excuse to avoid :lol:, the "actually gives an energy boost" caveat at the end of the clue makes my answer debatable.

WECIB FJ
tddeveryday
DIY Problem Solver

Post by tddeveryday »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:14 pm I have to know if anyone matched me with "have sex" instead of "exercise" for what "I'm too tired" is often an excuse to avoid
I was thinking that, but because Jeopardy! is a family show, I knew that wasn't what the writers were going for, which left me with "exercising."
My lucky numbers are 6, 66, and 666.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:14 pm I have to know if anyone matched me with "have sex" instead of "exercise" for what "I'm too tired" is often an excuse to avoid.
I believe the officially sanctioned term, according to the Game Show Association by-laws, is "Whoopee."
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

So Mike Richards ends his week of hosting with a game that included the response, "What is schadenfreude?"

WORLD OF WORDS: "In France comptable is this 10-letter occupation". I said accountant but wondered if they would accept bookkeeper. Google translate says they should, giving comptable as the French translation of both words.

When they asked for a "traditional spirit of Scandinavia", did anyone else think that referred to something like a ghost? You know, like the banshee is a traditional spirit of Ireland. The clue also wanted Latin for "water of life" so I said aquavit, but even then the nickel didn't drop right away. For a couple of seconds I was thinking, huh, so aquavit is also a kind of ghost. Learn something new every day. And then you unlearn it.

Educated guess on FJ. I knew there were complaints about Jackson's expansions of presidential power. I knew there were snide references to him as King Andrew I. I knew William Henry Harrison was a Whig and that he was elected after Van Buren's single term, Van Buren being AJ's VP, so something like George H. W. Bush to Jackson's Ronald Reagan. So the timeframe and the reasoning behind the "Whig" name all made sense.

I batted .800 on FJs during the Mike Richards era. Congrats to those who pulled the thousand.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

squarekara wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:26 pm
BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:14 pm I have to know if anyone matched me with "have sex" instead of "exercise" for what "I'm too tired" is often an excuse to avoid.
I believe the officially sanctioned term, according to the Game Show Association by-laws, is "Whoopee."
This was a pretty risky clue by the writers :lol: . It also doesn't really resonate as a common excuse to skip the gym. "I'm too lazy", or "I don't have time", or "Jeopardy is on" are probably more common. I'm not so sure as far as the other premise either. I don't feel more energetic after weights or cardio activity. As far as after "whoopee", we won't go there 8-) .
I thought Matt had controlled all 15 DD's this week but see that he only got 1 of them on Tuesday (I did not see the ep due to local broadcast issues. 13 of 15 is pretty dominant, however. I won't inquire if any player has ever landed 15/15 in any five day stretch. The contenders gotta be more aggressive, but how can they know?

Even without the DD advantage, Matt doesn't seem to have any weaknesses. He cleans up literature, old and new. He kills it on geography. He got a couple today that made me SMH. One involved a costume, and the other was the pierced ears. I NHO either answer, and they seemed as obscure as they could be.

I did not pick Jackson as I thought Whigs emerged earlier than that so I said Jefferson. Jackson was my second choice.

Wasn't this the best host ever this week? I can't wait to see him Monday as he promised :D .
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:02 pm and the other was the pierced ears.
Did you mean the pierced nose? Nez Perce is not a deep pull at all. Maybe there was one about pierced ears, but I don't recall (and if so, my apologies).
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

42R. 2/4 on big clues. Didn't get He's Just Not That Into You or Rodgers & Hammerstein. Got Jackson no problem, I've seen that clue before somewhere. Also helps to know that people teamed up to stop Jackson in the election of 1824 and the corrupt bargain, sort of how they teamed up to stop him by forming the Whig party. He was very polarizing.

Lots of opportunities in this game for me to learn new things and better understand things so that's good.

Missed click and said Bantu, missed Humphrey and said McGovern, missed Opportunity and said Curiosity, missed Paris and said Versailles, missed Hard Knock Life and said Hard Knocks Life, missed Memory and said Memories. Some ouches in there.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are Anne Meara, Garth Brooks, Kyra Sedgwick, Tahiti, billabong, piano, and liquid paper.

Interesting that the word schadenfreude came up during Mike Richards' last game. I've been pronouncing it a bit wrong, like the psychologist.

I've been enjoying Mattperdy. Well done by Matt Amodio. The bar to be the best Matt on Jeopardy! is set real high and it wasn't low before Amodio's run. Something for me to aim at, just like winning the lottery. I think I'm starting to get real good at picking the numbers.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:51 pm

In 10th grade typing class I had a bottle of the Nesmith product. When another student asked to borrow it I would always say I don't have Wite-Out, but I do have... The funny thing is it was I have no idea how many years later that I finally discovered the other product was Wite Out and not White Out which I had never seen and only heard.

One of the more fascinating bits of trivia I have come across is that Nesmith's son, Michael, was a member of The Monkees.
MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

So...what have we learned so far from watching the entertainment that Matt Amodio's done to this point? Because having looked upon Matt Amodio's stats in 4 1/2 weeks as the reigning champ, here's how his runs ended on:

Week 1 (7/21-7/23) stats:

80 correct
11 incorrect
6 DDs correct
0 DDs incorrect
2 FJ!s correct
1 FJ! incorrect
DD net gain: +$18,800
FJ! net gain: +$22,200
Winnings won on week: $101,400
Winning average per game: $33,800

Week 2 (7/26-7/30) stats:

158 correct
20 incorrect
9 DDs correct
3 DDs incorrect
4 FJ!s correct
1 FJ! incorrect
DD net gain: +$28,400
FJ! net gain: +$48,000
Winnings won on week: $189,800
Winning average per game: $36,400

Week 3 (8/2-8/6) stats:

159 correct
15 incorrect
9 DDs correct
1 DDs incorrect
3 FJ!s correct
2 FJ!s incorrect
DD net gain: +$44,000
FJ! net gain: -$23,000
Winnings won on week: $139,000
Winning average per game: $33,092.3

Week 4 (8/9-8/13) stats:

167 correct
12 incorrect
11 DDs correct
1 DD incorrect
3 FJ!s correct
2 FJ!s incorrect
DD net gain: +$32,400
FJ! net gain: -$18,799
Winnings won on week: $144,601
Winning average per game: $31,933.4

Week 5 (9/13-9/17 OPENING WEEK TO SEASON 38!) stats:

152 correct
13 incorrect
12 DDs correct
1 DD incorrect
5 FJ!s correct
0 FJ!s incorrect
DD net gain: +$58,200
FJ! net gain: +$63,000
Winnings won on week: $251,000
Winning average per game: $35,904.4

Considering Matt Amodio had a month off to prepare his return as champ, I thought this was a great week for him, getting all FJ!s right, improved greatly on the DD net gain, and bounced back overall after two rough weeks in a row where we saw Matt set the record for the highest amount missed on an FJ! clue. $37,000 has got to be the highest amount lost on FJ! to this point. Coupled with week 4, where he also lost $34,000 on a clue in which he crossed out the correct response!!!

I guess the big question is...will we see Matt pass the $1 million mark next week? He's got $174,199 to go in order to make that happen.

Just gotta wait and see what happens then.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Missed a few clue in A More Perfect Union. The Cat Stevens song is also unfamiliar to me.
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
Leander

Post by Leander »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:02 pm
Even without the DD advantage, Matt doesn't seem to have any weaknesses. He cleans up literature, old and new. He kills it on geography. He got a couple today that made me SMH. One involved a costume, and the other was the pierced ears. I NHO either answer, and they seemed as obscure as they could be.
Well, there was that Muhammed Ali category where he stumbled a bit, but that’s about it.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

It took me almost half the FJ time parsing the clue, so I agree, it wasn't well-written. I went with John Adams, figuring that he was enough of a jerk that people would start a party just to oppose him. Way too early, though. So much for the perfecto.

Matt got lucky with that Kids Week DD. Wasn't that like 1600 or something? Shouldn't have been that easy.