Friday, September 17, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Re: Friday, September 17, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Picked Off »

5/5 to end the week and the Richards era. More jazzed about the former.

You CANNOT go back to a category where Matt already found a DD when there is still a second one out there.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
DysonSphere
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by DysonSphere »

I remembered a famous political cartoon of "King Andrew I" from history class, so FJ was a well educated guess for Jackson.

41 correct for me. 4/4 DD and FJ.

Aside: Is there a consensus about what a "good" correct score is for those playing at home? Like what number correct answers us generally considered contestant-caliber?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

alietr wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:53 am Matt got lucky with that Kids Week DD. Wasn't that like 1600 or something? Shouldn't have been that easy.
DD2 was the $1600 clue about the Martian canals. Netted him $8000. Not sure if kids are taught about that these days. It definitely would've been a Kids Week clue back when I was a kid, not sure about Matt. In any event, definitely a slam dunk for a 4th row clue on regular J!

DD3 was a $2000 clue wanting "this pair" who wrote the song "My Favorite Things". Netted him $2000. Also pretty easy for a fifth row clue. I would've gotten this one too back when I was a kid.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Grandiose political ambition in American political history = Andrew Jackson or Huey Long.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Mike's final run was actually pretty watchable; I thought his performance as host this week was much better than his first stint. If he had handled the whole situation differently, he might still have all his jobs.

Odd phenomenon throughout this week. I haven't seen it addressed elsewhere, so I'm assuming it's probably an issue with our local affiliate and not with the show itself. Every episode this week has started out with audio and video in synch, and then gradually separating until by the end of the show it's like watching a dubbed foreign movie. Strange.

Matt continues to impress. He's so low key he's winning almost stealthily. It seems like a normal game, then all of a sudden you notice he has multiples of everyone else's scores. I've always been a Julia Collins fan, so it was a bit wistful to see her dropped a slot on the list of winners, but it's also easy to root for Matt.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

DysonSphere wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:07 pm Aside: Is there a consensus about what a "good" correct score is for those playing at home? Like what number correct answers us generally considered contestant-caliber?
No consensus but 50 is established as the number you want to hit if you want to get on Jeopardy! and win. Michael Dupee’s book How To Get On Jeopardy! And Win uses that number. Apologies if I’m misremembering something or left off an accent.

I would say 35 is enough to pass the test and get on the show, and anybody could win a game once they get on, 50 is the number where you would be likely to win your game, and 55+ is getting to James’ level.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
DysonSphere

Post by DysonSphere »

MattKnowles wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:11 pm
DysonSphere wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:07 pm Aside: Is there a consensus about what a "good" correct score is for those playing at home? Like what number correct answers us generally considered contestant-caliber?
No consensus but 50 is established as the number you want to hit if you want to get on Jeopardy! and win. Michael Dupee’s book How To Get On Jeopardy! And Win uses that number. Apologies if I’m misremembering something or left off an accent.

I would say 35 is enough to pass the test and get on the show, and anybody could win a game once they get on, 50 is the number where you would be likely to win your game, and 55+ is getting to James’ level.
Thanks, that's very helpful. I agree 55 is James/Matt range. And 35 sounds correct for lower end to get on the show.

50 seems a little high to me to be a strong player. On my walk today, I watched the show below. Chris was IMO a very dominant 5-day champion and he was more like 45 range (in this game: 12 misses, 3 more he seemed not to know, 1 clue not revealed). I might agree 50 is TOC champion range.

soxfan99

Post by soxfan99 »

When the schadenfreude clue came up, was anybody else hoping a contestant would sing the response?

yclept

Post by yclept »

Well, if Matt reaches $1M, the question is whether he can get there faster than Ken. To tie Ken, he needs to win $175K over 7 games. So, to get there faster, he needs to average around $29K or so over 6 days. No guarantee that he will get to a million, but it is fun to watch him try.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

yclept wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:48 pm Well, if Matt reaches $1M, the question is whether he can get there faster than Ken.
James broke $2M faster than Ken broke $1M, so why does it matter how fast Matt makes it to $1M compared to Ken?
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

econgator wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:07 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:02 pm and the other was the pierced ears.
Did you mean the pierced nose? Nez Perce is not a deep pull at all. Maybe there was one about pierced ears, but I don't recall (and if so, my apologies).
Thank you. I did mean the pierced nose. I NHO the Nez Perce native American tribe. And, like the Pennsylvania Dutch, they are mis-named.

This was harder to Google than it should have been:

The Nez Perce call themselves Niimíipuu – “The People.” The name nez percé (“pierced nose”) came from French Canadian fur traders in the 18th century, an erroneous identification as nose piercing was never practiced by the tribe. Nez Perce Chief Joseph, one of the most famous tribal leaders in American history.

The Chinook's apparently were the tribe of noses pierced.

Maybe the term is in use around tattoo parlors, but I've never seen it. At least it's gotta be better than a Prince Albert (Google at your own risk) :twisted:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Golf

Post by Golf »

DysonSphere wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:28 pm
MattKnowles wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:11 pm

Thanks, that's very helpful. I agree 55 is James/Matt range. And 35 sounds correct for lower end to get on the show.

50 seems a little high to me to be a strong player. On my walk today, I watched the show below. Chris was IMO a very dominant 5-day champion and he was more like 45 range (in this game: 12 misses, 3 more he seemed not to know, 1 clue not revealed). I might agree 50 is TOC champion range.
I love it when people talk about how many right a player needs to get to win games or be a ToC’er without word one about how to actually play the game.

40 right playing GTO has the advantage over the typical 50 right straight down the board random round number wagering contestant. It’s also why a 50 right GTO contestant is close to unbeatable.
tddeveryday
DIY Problem Solver

Post by tddeveryday »

What's GTO? Based on the context, I assume it's something like the Forrest bounce, but I'm still curious.
My lucky numbers are 6, 66, and 666.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

tddeveryday wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:03 pm What's GTO? Based on the context, I assume it's something like the Forrest bounce, but I'm still curious.
He means "Game Theory Optimal".

The typical number of clues needed to be competitive can be discussed without bringing up the other factors needed to be successful on the show. But if we do bring up other factors then buzzer skill needs to be highlighted as quickly as anything else. Trivia knowledge, buzzer capability, and good strategy (GTO) are the keys to winning. Miss any one and you're in trouble.

I predict Golf's head is going to explode if I ever get on the show. I'm going to do something he doesn't like.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Golf

Post by Golf »

tddeveryday wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:03 pm What's GTO? Based on the context, I assume it's something like the Forrest bounce, but I'm still curious.
Game Theory Optimal. This includes wagering(both DD’s and FJ) and DD hunting.
DysonSphere

Post by DysonSphere »

Golf wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:43 pm I love it when people talk about how many right a player needs to get to win games or be a ToC’er without word one about how to actually play the game.

40 right playing GTO has the advantage over the typical 50 right straight down the board random round number wagering contestant. It’s also why a 50 right GTO contestant is close to unbeatable.
I'm well aware, and nothing I said is inconsistent with what you said. Clearly there is a number of clue answers contestants should know independent of whatever their strategy or buzzing skill is. I am only curious what that number is.
davey

Post by davey »

One of Matt's few misses was a bit puzzling in this game. He couldn't come up with "peace pipe." I assume that he was thrown by "peace" being part of the clue, not thinking that "pipe" was all that was needed.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

davey wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:11 am One of Matt's few misses was a bit puzzling in this game. He couldn't come up with "peace pipe." I assume that he was thrown by "peace" being part of the clue, not thinking that "pipe" was all that was needed.
It was a video clue and he seems to have difficulty seeing those? The camera always cuts back to him trying to lean his way closer to the screen showing the graphic...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
davey

Post by davey »

Volante wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:27 am
davey wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:11 am One of Matt's few misses was a bit puzzling in this game. He couldn't come up with "peace pipe." I assume that he was thrown by "peace" being part of the clue, not thinking that "pipe" was all that was needed.
It was a video clue and he seems to have difficulty seeing those? The camera always cuts back to him trying to lean his way closer to the screen showing the graphic...

that's true, and I don't think I would have known just from the picture that it was a pipe. The clue was still easy though.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

Volante wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:27 am
I've always wondered that about being on the show. Is it as easy to read the clues off the screen in person as it is watching from home, or are the contestants more dependent on hearing the host's reading?