Reflecting back on the Mike Richards era

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Reflecting back on the Mike Richards era

Post by Bamaman »

As his storied tenure draws to a close today, any final thoughts on his time as host?

I guess Matt Amodio would go down as the best player. All five games were locks and only one was really close. He found 13 DDs and got 12 right.

But the challengers didn’t do too badly. The lowest pre-FJ score was $5,400. The two DDs Matt didn’t find were questioned correctly and both (in the same game) were properly wagered (a true DD and betting $2,000 with $1,600 on the scoreboard).

I did enjoy his hosting style. I gave him a poor review last time but he much more subdued this time. His off camera actions notwithstanding, I would have been fine with him as host based solely on what I saw this week.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Reflecting back on the Mike Richards era

Post by MarkBarrett »

TMZ Live reported on Mike and Drew Carey having breakfast together. The facial expressions told the story of a man riding high and another one not having his best year. Hope Drew picked up the tab.
Mario500
Valued Contributor

Post by Mario500 »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:05 pm As his storied tenure draws to a close today, any final thoughts on his time as host?
(senses feelings of enjoyment of his tenure in spite of reports of certain flaws connected to him; wishes him well no matter the reports since no being was ever without at least one flaw)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Mario500 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:58 pm
Bamaman wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:05 pm As his storied tenure draws to a close today, any final thoughts on his time as host?
(senses feelings of enjoyment of his tenure in spite of reports of certain flaws connected to him; wishes him well no matter the reports since no being was ever without at least one flaw)
Nobody has all possible flaws, and therefore all beings are without at least one flaw.

Also, isn't it redundant to sense your own feelings?
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

It's amazing, at the beginning of the Mike Richards era, my dirty laundry pile was like 1/5 the size it is now. Those were simpler times.
Mario500
Valued Contributor

Post by Mario500 »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:35 pm Also, isn't it redundant to sense your own feelings?
(disagrees)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Mario500 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:57 pm
seaborgium wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:35 pm Also, isn't it redundant to sense your own feelings?
(disagrees)
I'm sure what you meant to say was "(senses feelings of disagreement)"
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:02 pm
Mario500 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:57 pm
(disagrees)
I'm sure what you meant to say was "(senses feelings of disagreement)"
(feeling sensibly disagreeable)
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

I am proud to be among the many who have witnessed two complete hosting eras in Jeopardy! history. Will I live long enough to see a third?
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

It was all so randumb.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

SBurrus wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:35 am I am proud to be among the many who have witnessed two complete hosting eras in Jeopardy! history. Will I live long enough to see a third?
I was born three years too late to live through three complete hosting eras.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:37 am
SBurrus wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:35 am I am proud to be among the many who have witnessed two complete hosting eras in Jeopardy! history. Will I live long enough to see a third?
I was born three years too late to live through three complete hosting eras.
I missed the entire start of the Art Fleming era by 2 years...but wasn't aware of Jeopardy! until around 1970.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

I did. It's not that hard. You just need to be willing to be completely out of touch with pop culture by the time you finish your third permanent host.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:35 pm
Nobody has all possible flaws, and therefore all beings are without at least one flaw.
Speak for yourself.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

mas3cf wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:55 pm It's amazing, at the beginning of the Mike Richards era, my dirty laundry pile was like 1/5 the size it is now. Those were simpler times.
That's interesting. I had the opposite experience. On Monday, I had a decent sized pile of laundry. But by the time I got around to watching the Friday episode on Saturday afternoon, the pile of laundry was completely gone! It's almost like a miracle.
--Peter
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Living through this regime was tough. Not exactly Brazil-level escapism, but we spent a good deal of the week running errands or pursuing other activities rather than tuning in. The anticipated Schadenfreude fizzled, and in its place genuine nausea and seething resentment escalated every time Randumb called a contestant neg, acknowledged a triple stumper, or added explanatory details. I thought, "Wow, look at you--holding court with information you just learned today and couldn't care less about!" This sums it up:
Spoiler
Mario500
Valued Contributor

Post by Mario500 »

squarekara wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:54 am Living through this regime was tough. Not exactly Brazil-level escapism, but we spent a good deal of the week running errands or pursuing other activities rather than tuning in. The anticipated Schadenfreude fizzled, and in its place genuine nausea and seething resentment escalated every time Randumb called a contestant neg, acknowledged a triple stumper, or added explanatory details. I thought, "Wow, look at you--holding court with information you just learned today and couldn't care less about!" This sums it up:
Spoiler
(suggests remembering a certain kind of "rule" while considering whether to post another message like this one or not in the future)
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Mario500 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:27 am (suggests remembering a certain kind of "rule" while considering whether to post another message like this one or not in the future)

I'll admit that the collateral damage of your sensibilities was not uppermost in my thoughts as I shared a personal reflection of my experience this week. In future, I will choose candor over sanctimony in virtually every situation. Please avert your eyes as I dance a Highland Fling upon the fresh grave of Mike Richards' tenure.