Monday, September 20, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Monday, September 20, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by econgator »

Leander wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:36 pm
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:03 pm Missed a few clues in Ventriloquism, Alliterative People $1000, and Youthful Pop Stars $1200.
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:

Seriously? Matt gets away with Picasso? Without even a BMS? Category is Alliterative People. Paloma Picasso should have been said.
I was bothered by the acceptance of “Ferdinand” for Archduke Franz Ferdinand, too. Not really even his last name.
I'd suspect, like most royalty, he doesn't have a last name. So, yeah, Franz Ferdinand should have been required.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:09 pm
Bamaman wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:07 pm Never saw the movie and put down Clue just to have something. Although I know dip isn’t one of the weapons.
Hillbilly clue! I accuse Brother Bubba on the screened-in porch with the dip.
I just gave my husband Jeff Foxworthy's Redneck Monopoly last week.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:08 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:52 pm I said Ghostbusters, and was fairly confident.
Good guess, but that's 1984. By 1988 we were waiting impatiently for Ghostbusters 2 to come out the following year.

1988 was a turd of a year for movies. With a few exceptions like Big and Die Hard, most movies Mrs P and I saw that year left us underwhelmed. Who Framed Roger Rabbit--which we saw on our honeymoon--was for us one of the underwhelming ones and we never saw it again. However, the honeymoon fact also leaves my brain with no excuse for waiting until the 29th second to cough up the correct response. It's on the short list of movies I know for sure came out in '88 and should have been considered with plenty of time to write it down.
Bull Durham
Midnight Run
Naked Gun

Those are ones I would add to my thumbs up for 1988 and seeing on the big screen.

Beetlejuice sucked.

Home rentals that were okay:
The Thin Blue Line
Heathers
They Live
Perv Griffin
Contributor

Post by Perv Griffin »

I appreciated what I perceived to be Mayim's annoyance with Matt's ongoing insistence at providing the least amount of information possible with each response.

FJ rendered it a moot point, but Carlo did Matt a real favor by preventing Tracy from finding the second DD. It's easy for me to point out from my couch, but I'm occasionally annoyed in late-game stages when a player in distant third doesn't make more of an effort to just stay out of the way of a strong second place player in an effort to maximize their own odds at playing the spoiler.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Perv Griffin wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:42 pm I appreciated what I perceived to be Mayim's annoyance with Matt's ongoing insistence at providing the least amount of information possible with each response.

FJ rendered it a moot point, but Carlo did Matt a real favor by preventing Tracy from finding the second DD. It's easy for me to point out from my couch, but I'm occasionally annoyed in late-game stages when a player in distant third doesn't make more of an effort to just stay out of the way of a strong second place player in an effort to maximize their own odds at playing the spoiler.
The smartest way to play Jeopardy is to give the least information as possible. Stated by many greats in Jeopardy books. She wasn’t annoyed, she was clarifying for the majority of viewers who have no clue how to play the game.

So you expect a player in the middle of a competition to just quit? That’s beyond ludicrous. You say it’s not fair to 2nd place. I could easily say it’s not fair to the leader if 3rd rolls over.

If you’re in a competition you compete until the end. Otherwise you don’t play.
DysonSphere

Post by DysonSphere »

FJ was instaget for me, and I was surprised Matt didn't get it because his film knowledge is very good. I can't imagine anyone who has seen Roger Rabbit wouldn't remember the "dip" which was a major plot point. Another golden opportunity like that to fell Matt may not present itself for a long time. 46 correct for me today, which is well above my average. Maybe I could have even been within striking distance.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:52 pmMayim was not able at first to adjust to Matt's response style. It was like she was looking for a little more from Matt and of course that was not coming unless necessary. It affected the pace a bit though all clues were played.
I've read the interviews, but I really loathe his way of responding - it's just so stilted. Yes, he's closing in on $1M in regular game winnings, but I find the guy borderline unwatchable for the "What's" gimmick.

No clue on FJ. Scribbled Heathers at the last second and thought I might be right. That clue should have been tossed in the writer's room.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Something made me think the FJ clue was about a cartoon, so I guessed WFRR with 10 seconds left.
Never saw the movie, or wanted to.
MarkBarrett wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote: 1988 was a turd of a year for movies. With a few exceptions like Big and Die Hard, most movies Mrs P and I saw that year left us underwhelmed. Who Framed Roger Rabbit--which we saw on our honeymoon--was for us one of the underwhelming ones and we never saw it again. However, the honeymoon fact also leaves my brain with no excuse for waiting until the 29th second to cough up the correct response. It's on the short list of movies I know for sure came out in '88 and should have been considered with plenty of time to write it down.
Bull Durham
Midnight Run
Naked Gun

Those are ones I would add to my thumbs up for 1988 and seeing on the big screen.

Beetlejuice sucked.

The Thin Blue Line
Heathers
They Live
Although a mid December release, Rain Man came out in 1988.

Tucker, the man and his dream was OK, for Jeff Bridges fans.
The fifth in the Dirty Harry series; The Dead Pool was a disappointment.
Perv Griffin
Contributor

Post by Perv Griffin »

Golf wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:06 pm
Perv Griffin wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:42 pm I appreciated what I perceived to be Mayim's annoyance with Matt's ongoing insistence at providing the least amount of information possible with each response.

The smartest way to play Jeopardy is to give the least information as possible. Stated by many greats in Jeopardy books. She wasn’t annoyed, she was clarifying for the majority of viewers who have no clue how to play the game.

So you expect a player in the middle of a competition to just quit? That’s beyond ludicrous. You say it’s not fair to 2nd place. I could easily say it’s not fair to the leader if 3rd rolls over.

If you’re in a competition you compete until the end. Otherwise you don’t play.
I'm not at all surprised that I didn't communicate clearly enough for you to not vent your spleen and take gratuitous umbrage, but my point - however obliquely or poorly worded - was that in certain circumstances, when a third place player has no hope of winning except for being "the last one standing" after a small/$0 bet in FJ with enough money to cover the event that the two dominant players have to bet everything/nearly everything and they both get it wrong, it's advantageous to allow the second place player to catch up to the leader.

For that kind of Hail Mary to work (and it was Carlo's only real shot at winning) he would have needed Tracy to get as close to Matt's score as possible. Him finding the DD with a piddly sum to wager did nothing to meaningfully advance his chances at winning (and save me another "value of $1000 diatribe"), but UNDER CERTAIN CIRCUMSTANCES finding that DD could have cost him his only chance at being the spoiler.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

DysonSphere wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:12 pm I can't imagine anyone who has seen Roger Rabbit wouldn't remember the "dip" which was a major plot point.
Saw it 33 years and change ago in the theater. I remember a few things about it, but that's not one of them.
goongas

Post by goongas »

Ironhorse wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:04 pm I wonder if Mayim was instructed to say that this was the first non-runaway game of the season, because she presumably was not in the studio to have known that firsthand.
I thought I read she attended the stage renaming ceremony that taping day. She may have watched the tapings that day with Ken and Buzzy.
goongas

Post by goongas »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:52 pm
DysonSphere wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:12 pm I can't imagine anyone who has seen Roger Rabbit wouldn't remember the "dip" which was a major plot point.
Saw it 33 years and change ago in the theater. I remember a few things about it, but that's not one of them.
I saw the movie only once and didn't get FJ! correct. I vaguely remember a dip...
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

goongas wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:55 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:04 pm I wonder if Mayim was instructed to say that this was the first non-runaway game of the season, because she presumably was not in the studio to have known that firsthand.
I thought I read she attended the stage renaming ceremony that taping day. She may have watched the tapings that day with Ken and Buzzy.
Jostling for position to get a better view through the crack in the floorboards.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Matt Amodio: 33200-2000=31200 (24x = $857,001)
Carlo Angiuli: 1600+5=1605
Tracy Pitzel: 17000-16600=400

Interesting note about the scores. If Matt makes the MSB of $801 and gets it wrong, he is at $32,399. To get above his MSBIW. Tracy has to bet $15,400, which puts her tied with Carlo’s pre-FJ score.
davey

Post by davey »

Category 13 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:22 pm Something made me think the FJ clue was about a cartoon, so I guessed WFRR with 10 seconds left.
Never saw the movie, or wanted to.
MarkBarrett wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote: 1988 was a turd of a year for movies. With a few exceptions like Big and Die Hard, most movies Mrs P and I saw that year left us underwhelmed. Who Framed Roger Rabbit--which we saw on our honeymoon--was for us one of the underwhelming ones and we never saw it again. However, the honeymoon fact also leaves my brain with no excuse for waiting until the 29th second to cough up the correct response. It's on the short list of movies I know for sure came out in '88 and should have been considered with plenty of time to write it down.
Bull Durham
Midnight Run
Naked Gun

Beetlejuice sucked.

The Thin Blue Line
Heathers
They Live
Although a mid December release, Rain Man came out in 1988.

Tucker, the man and his dream was OK, for Jeff Bridges fans.
The fifth in the Dirty Harry series; The Dead Pool was a disappointment.
These additional non-turds just from the "popular" list on Google-
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
A Fish Called Wanda
The Accused
Hairspray
Dead Ringers
Dangerous Liaisons
I won't include Killer Klowns From Outer Space...

I don't think I've seen the movie in question since it came out, and I have no memory of the dipping...Ghostbusters was the only 80s movie I could think of that had a weird way of eliminating "characters," though I didn't think it could be considered a "dip"... :roll:
I could have done without MB letting us know how to pronounce vigilante, thanks anyway...
davey

Post by davey »

goongas wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:55 pm
Maybe she was just "informed"...? "Instructed" makes it sound like she's under somebody's thumb. Presumably that's not the way things are run now... ;)
davey

Post by davey »

Leander wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:36 pm
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:03 pm Missed a few clues in Ventriloquism, Alliterative People $1000, and Youthful Pop Stars $1200.
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:

Seriously? Matt gets away with Picasso? Without even a BMS? Category is Alliterative People. Paloma Picasso should have been said.
I was bothered by the acceptance of “Ferdinand” for Archduke Franz Ferdinand, too. Not really even his last name.
To me the odd thing was that neither Matt nor Mayim pronounced the 2d d. It was Ferdinan...for both
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

They've accepted "Archduke Ferdinand" in FJ before, so it was neither to my surprise nor consternation that Matt's "Ferdinand" was accepted.

I watched WWRR on Netflix with my brother a few years ago; it was his first time watching and my first time fully understanding it. When Judge Doom named the ingredients of The Dip, I immediately thought that could be a trivia question. Now I'll have to wait a while to use it (not that I write trivia frequently, as evidenced by my noticing a good, apparently FJ-worthy, trivia nugget a few years ago and not having used it yet).

Further Roger Rabbit trivia: The Dip is first demonstrated when Judge Doom turns a squeaky cartoon clown shoe into a red stain on his glove; that clown shoe was voiced by Nancy Cartwright before she was famous for being the voice of Bart Simpson.
Last edited by seaborgium on Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

This was by far Mayim’s most assured and professional job of hosting. On the basis of today’s performance I would have no issue with becoming the full-time host. I will also note that Matt has loosened up considerably as his run has progressed and has become more personable in the process. I loved the story about the bat and Matt’s quip about it being tired after a night out as being perfectly relatable. Like Mark Barrett, when I saw the FJ clue I predicted that it would be hard for people as young as Matt. Good job by Carlo to get it right.