Wednesday, September 22, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, September 22, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, September 22, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
LANDMARKS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
96 miles in total during its 3-decade existence, the most well-known part of this was about the same length as an Olympic marathon

Matt Amodio: 33200+3000=36200 (26x = $929,401)
Paula Scheider: 3000-2999=1
Christopher Stucky: 13800-5000=8800

Correct response:
Spoiler
the Berlin Wall (Paula – Appian Way) (Christopher – Appian Way)

Daily Doubles
Matt: 8000-8000
Matt; 4800+4800
Matt: 17200+10000

Coryats
Matt: 29,600
Paula: 3000
Christopher: 13800

Combined: 46,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Matt: 3200
Paula: 600
Christopher: 3400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The J! writers evened out the long NY news people category with the hair trigger for NATIONAL PARK COUNTRIES and short clues.

Yankees fans will want more respect from Matt on the speech guy, but only Mayim will be providing the first name.

Mayim went a little overboard on score updates to close the J! round. It's J! and not a radio broadcast. She's trying a bit too hard and ten minutes with the right person could make her hosting so much better. Yeah, first week and short notice. I have to keep telling myself that as Mayim had too many add-ons after correct responses.

The FJ! clue had me match Matt with no ancient detour like the challengers had for their miss in common. I knew the start/end years for the right place and have watched J! enough not to let myself be thrown by a strict interpretation of "3-decade".

Yes, DD3 could have been in COMEDY ON TV, though it should be in a lighter color for where to look on a DD heat chart. The challengers against Matt are going to have limited clue calls against someone so good on buzzer and knowledge base. Opponents are not making their calls count for the most. Losing 8 large on DD1 is only going to be a small bump in the road.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Blah blah blah wall. Hadrian's Wall, right? Wrong. I suck.
mungar
Valued Contributor

Post by mungar »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:28 pm Blah blah blah wall. Hadrian's Wall, right? Wrong. I suck.
At least you got to wall. I incorrectly read it as something that was created in the past 3 decades and threw out the Chunnel as a guess.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

mungar wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:08 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:28 pm Blah blah blah wall. Hadrian's Wall, right? Wrong. I suck.
At least you got to wall. I incorrectly read it as something that was created in the past 3 decades and threw out the Chunnel as a guess.
Chunnel hadn't crossed my mind but it's not a bad guess. The only thing is, "was" is the word that subtly steers you away from something that still exists.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

It's not a bad guess. It was around a lot longer than 3 decades, but size-wise you're pretty much bang on (it's about 80 miles).
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Surprised this went 1/3, particularly when the two misses were from people who look old enough to remember it existing. I had it from the first clause.

I was hoping Christopher could sneak in and make FJ competitive, but that darn Paula kept ringing in. The nerve of her.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:26 pm All finished: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7149
Appears to be a stray hyphen at the beginning of DJ2.

I agree she needs to dial back adding first names that Matt leaves off. Not so bad on obscure people but not necessary on Gehrig.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:54 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:26 pm All finished: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7149
Appears to be a stray hyphen at the beginning of DJ2.

I agree she needs to dial back adding first names that Matt leaves off. Not so bad on obscure people but not necessary on Gehrig.
Fixed, thanks. The OCR likes to do things like that off the smaller box for DD wording.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

I had FJ solved pretty much as soon as Mayim finished reading the clue. I said 'Iron Curtain' instead of Berlin Wall, but I knew what they where looking for.

Matt is still at least two games from surpassing the $1 million mark. His habit of cheaping out on DD3s when he has a big lead, plus only betting about 80% of the MSB on lock-game finals has kept him from reaching that benchmark much, much sooner.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I must be a pretty casual viewer. I don't mind the extra dialogue to round out the complete response to a clue. But then I do not transcribe all the superfluous verbiage. Thanks for what you do, Mark, and to the rest of the team toiling in obscurity.

I'm also fine with premature drama building. Matt is behind after SJ! The Vikings are ahead at the half! (it could happen :lol:). I thought she was a little terse saying "It's time for Final Jeopardy", as in "Let's get this over with".

I've been watching YouTube videos about the Standard Model and General Relativity for two months, but they could not lead me to "elementary" particles even with such a poetic clue. And it was in the second row :roll: . This might be pollworthy unless the boardies here can claim TS bragging rights.

I couldn't get to the Berlin Wall and I think it's a great FJ clue without the "marathon" nonsense. I know the Great Wall of China is thousands of miles long and millennia old, but tried to reconcile with the shorter chunks being of historic and notable importance. If the clue just said the landmark was 96 miles long and lasted 3 decades, I might have not got off track. I don't consider 27 miles of it more notable than the rest of it. Why not just ten miles, or two miles?

Another day, another beatdown. Who's got next?
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Someone on Reddit pointed out that the French word "répondez" was given as "respondez". Alex would have caught that ahead of time.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

48R. 3/4 on big clues. Didn't get the Eyes/Lips/Face makeup. Was trying to come up with a guess and I'm not sure if more time would have helped. Although very obvious in hindsight.

I missed Ennio Morricone and guessed Henry Mancini. Said Sleeping Beauty instead of Snow White, said receptionist instead of administrative, and said Delta instead of American Airlines.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are Amerian Library Association, Tanzania, Guatamala, La Belle Époque, and Orem.
twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:30 pm I've been watching YouTube videos about the Standard Model and General Relativity for two months, but they could not lead me to "elementary" particles even with such a poetic clue. And it was in the second row :roll: . This might be pollworthy unless the boardies here can claim TS bragging rights.
I got this one and the "it's..." at the end helped a lot. A hint with the Sherlock Holmes/Watson line.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:02 pm I was hoping Christopher could sneak in and make FJ competitive, but that darn Paula kept ringing in. The nerve of her.
How innominate. :roll:

I knew when Matt played the Leon Rom DD that he wouldn't make the previously made error of turning the Heart of Darkness character into the Apocalypse Now character by putting Colonel in front of the name.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:44 pm Mayim went a little overboard on score updates to close the J! round. It's J! and not a radio broadcast. She's trying a bit too hard and ten minutes with the right person could make her hosting so much better. Yeah, first week and short notice. I have to keep telling myself that as Mayim had too many add-ons after correct responses.
*First day back at that.
twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:30 pm I've been watching YouTube videos about the Standard Model and General Relativity for two months, but they could not lead me to "elementary" particles even with such a poetic clue. And it was in the second row :roll: . This might be pollworthy unless the boardies here can claim TS bragging rights.
I don't think I could keep watching PBS Space Time on Youtube if I missed that one

Good thinker of an FJ, at least for me. 30 years and no longer around was the first thing, somehow I took that to be recent and then remembering that the Berlin Wall as being longer than imagined as it didn't just separate the two halves of the city was the final kicker.

Also: people keep re-discovering sections of the wall to this day. You'd think they'd have kept records...
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-ne ... 180970078/
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-ne ... 180967968/
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Why does Matt have to smirk after every answer? Is it what psychologists call Duping Delight? That he feels like he's gotten away with something?

Paula did not come to play by picking the $200 Clues when she was given a chance. The game basically ended when Matt got that one double jeopardy right and then got to choose the Daily Double just as Steven was on a roll. After Matt got the last remaining $2,000 clue, there was no hope for Steven but it was annoying how Paula was gleefully ringing in.

I hope that clue about BCE not a harbinger that the show is going to start referring to dates that way. I will absolutely stop watching if they do that. That is unacceptable culture warring.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

floridagator wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:06 pm I hope that clue about BCE not a harbinger that the show is going to start referring to dates that way. I will absolutely stop watching if they do that. That is unacceptable culture warring.
No matter how many times people say they're quitting (or have quit) watching Jeopardy for whatever reason, there's always more of them. I wish J! could alienate the alienation announcers once and for all.