Thursday, September 23, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

squarekara
J! Reactionary

Re: Thursday, September 23, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by squarekara »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:15 pm
squarekara wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:59 pm
Linear Gnome wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:13 pm On the first clue of the game, I said "anthropomorphism" for "personification". Judges?
That's what I said, but I don't think it's quite right.
Where does it go wrong? I think they'd have to accept it.
Anthropomorphism has more to do with physical form.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

There's a reason that Matt always bets it all in the first round. So many DD1s are kids week level questions, and this one was no exception.
doihavetoreally
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by doihavetoreally »

Golf wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:15 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:41 pm Guhan left 1900 on the table at DD1. If nothing else changes then he could have had 13400 for the FJ! round. Doubled is 26800 which is exactly what Matt had. If Matt bets a dollar and misses then Guhan wins.
You're playing a 26-time champion, you've sat in the audience and watched the ass kicking for 3 games, you're lucky enough to get off to a good start and then find the DD in the first round. AND YOU ONLY WAGER $1500 OF A POSSIBLE $3400?

This is why great trivia minds with great strategy rarely lose. Because the vast majority of contestants have zero game awareness and can't adapt. Even when the door is wide open for the win.
Ditto.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Yet another instaget. I'll take a 3/4.

Kind of hoping I bomb Friday because yesterday was a humiliating insta-miss.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

squarekara wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:20 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:15 pm
squarekara wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:59 pm
Linear Gnome wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:13 pm On the first clue of the game, I said "anthropomorphism" for "personification". Judges?
That's what I said, but I don't think it's quite right.
Where does it go wrong? I think they'd have to accept it.
Anthropomorphism has more to do with physical form.
I also went with anthropomorphism. I don't think it will be counted as correct.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Maybe he isn’t a big sports fan but he definitely should have bet it all on DD1.

I think Matt gives the same FJ response even if it isn’t a lock. No, he wasn’t risking a huge amount but I don’t see why he would risk a response he thought was less likely to be correct. My sheet looked the same as his in DJ.

Matt seemed a bit off his game today.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

squarekara wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:20 pm Anthropomorphism has more to do with physical form.
Maybe, but the clue only requires it to "... giv[e] human attributes to nonhuman things". Anthropomorphism does that.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I had a sense before the end of single Jeopardy that Gohan wasn't going to be beating Matt. He didn't go true Daily Double on The Daily Double. That was a gift for him to find the Daily Double instead of Matt. Then in his clue selection he went for top boxes instead of bottom boxes. I don't remember what that $2,000 clue he bombed was which Matt got on the rebound and basically sealed the game.

But the final condition of every hypothetical was satisfied. The second-place contestant knew Final Jeopardy and the leader didn't.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

floridagator wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:02 pm I don't remember what that $2,000 clue he bombed was which Matt got on the rebound and basically sealed the game.
You don't remember it because there wasn't such a clue (5 of the 6 were answered by the person who rang in and John Cho was a TS).
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

OntarioQuizzer wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote: Guhan shared on Reddit:
I did think about it, but in practice I’d biffed a true DD and I reckon I psyched myself out of taking the risk. Honestly more pissed about missing the Harold and Kumar question because I’ve always wanted to see that movie (and if I hadn’t buzzed in and results held, I would’ve have pulled the upset). Game really turned on that and Matt’s DD from my POV
To me, that's a failure in preparation, especially when you know who your opponent is likely to be. You have to make yourself comfortable with the idea of going all-in every time, no matter what has happened.
Not defending his timid wager, but I was thinking his failure to stay clam was just as critical to the outcome of FJ as the DD.
I noticed he made at least two bad guesses along the way.
davey

Post by davey »

econgator wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:03 pm
squarekara wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:20 pm Anthropomorphism has more to do with physical form.
Maybe, but the clue only requires it to "... giv[e] human attributes to nonhuman things". Anthropomorphism does that.
This site suggests that anthropomorphism involves the creation of character rather than just the attribution of a trait. If the door had groaned, "Oh, please close me!" that would be anthropomorphism. That said, while I ruled against myself in the game, I think now it's ambiguous enough that J! might have let it get by...
https://www.litcharts.com/literary-devi ... l%20beings).&text=A%20character%20is%20anthropomorphic%20if,but%20behave%20like%20a%20human.

I can't believe I said Pre-Raphaelite instead of Arts and Crafts for William Morris. I knew the right response the moment the wrong one came out of my mouth... And it hurt because I'd kept up with Matt until that point...:roll:

Neither locusts nor locusts and honey came to mind, so I stuck to frogs... :oops:
Last edited by davey on Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Category 13 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:27 pm
OntarioQuizzer wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote: Guhan shared on Reddit:
I did think about it, but in practice I’d biffed a true DD and I reckon I psyched myself out of taking the risk. Honestly more pissed about missing the Harold and Kumar question because I’ve always wanted to see that movie (and if I hadn’t buzzed in and results held, I would’ve have pulled the upset). Game really turned on that and Matt’s DD from my POV
To me, that's a failure in preparation, especially when you know who your opponent is likely to be. You have to make yourself comfortable with the idea of going all-in every time, no matter what has happened.
Not defending his timid wager, but I was thinking his failure to stay clam was just as critical to the outcome of this game as the DD.
I noticed he made at least two bad guesses along the way.
I mean, nothing would have changed in the end. Closed timelike loops dictate in this universe Guhan loses. If he goes all in on the DD he'll just neg some more or Matt will hit the gas more or other weirdness. Like if you go back in time and kill your grandfather, it'll turn out your grandmother actually had an affair. Science! :lol:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

41R. 3/4 on big clues. Tough game for me, need to go back and study this one. Didn't get Arts & Crafts, was trying to think of artistic movements.

Missed Germany and said tank, missed Mata Hari and said Tallchief, missed Discovery and said Enterprise, missed dust and said streak, missed Kuiper and said Van Allen, missed Bailey and said Tower of London.

I need to add Van Allen radiation belt, asteroid belt, Kuiper belt, and Oort cloud to my list of things I get confused.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are Parting is such sweet sorrow, Syracuse, John Cho, Janet Jackson, and ballad.

I'm not a fan of describing metal foil as a sheet. I would prefer to keep plate, sheet, and foil as three distinct things.

Guhan and Caroline played well. Made it a tough game for Matt Amodio.
Golf wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:15 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:41 pm Guhan left 1900 on the table at DD1. If nothing else changes then he could have had 13400 for the FJ! round. Doubled is 26800 which is exactly what Matt had. If Matt bets a dollar and misses then Guhan wins.
You're playing a 26-time champion, you've sat in the audience and watched the ass kicking for 3 games, you're lucky enough to get off to a good start and then find the DD in the first round. AND YOU ONLY WAGER $1500 OF A POSSIBLE $3400?

This is why great trivia minds with great strategy rarely lose. Because the vast majority of contestants have zero game awareness and can't adapt. Even when the door is wide open for the win.
In an alternate universe, where Guhan does wager everything on that daily double, the game plays out with everything else the same and goes to a lock-tie scenario, and then Matt wagers $1 and he loses the game. And then you would go on and on about "I can't believe Matt threw away his chance to win because he wagered a dollar. Doesn't he know that he has the buzzer speed to win a tie-breaker? Why can't any of these people play the game with intelligence?"
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Another game where Matt really had to work at it. I also said anthropomorphism but my son got it right with personification (he’s had AP English a lot more recently than me). And I also had Matt’s answer in FJ. My first thought was locusts but then recalled the plague of frogs and convinced myself that Leviticus would be more concerned with aquatic organisms.
RetiredDoc

Post by RetiredDoc »

Thought of locusts instantly when FJ was revealed, didn’t even think of frogs.
That Sports Venue category is such a weak one for me-even with all I know about Matt and wagering strategy and what the Board would say, it would have been very difficult for me to go all in (but I like to think that I would have)
hansenkd
Valued Contributor

Post by hansenkd »

Matt did seem a bit off, especially in the J! Round. Not aggressive at the outset.

I guess those big FJ wagers were to show what might have been? Or an irrational hope that Matt would get greedy and Clavin it? (Yes, I know they were trying to go for second, but still, the big wagers were sad to watch).

Caroline should have been negged on the People Magazine clue. The title is "Sexiest Man ALIVE." Mayim ruled her correct after the first two words (which she should not have done) and then Caroline continued with the incorrect "of the year." I guess they decided not to adjust it because she hit the DD right after, complicating any correction. She doesn't get the DD if there is a rebound. So that's a mess. Mayim should not have ruled her correct. It was an incomplete response.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

When Matt blurted out "Phoney Money" after Mayim declared him out of time, and just as Caroline buzzed in for the rebound, it almost phsyched Caroline out of saying the correct response. I believe she was thinking "did he just say funny money and get negged?".
Woof wrote:Another game where Matt really had to work at it.
As DJ was winding down, and Matt hadn't quite yet clinched the lock, I could detect a bit of nervous anxiousness there.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

hansenkd wrote: Caroline should have been negged on the People Magazine clue. The title is "Sexiest Man ALIVE." Mayim ruled her correct after the first two words (which she should not have done) and then Caroline continued with the incorrect "of the year." I guess they decided not to adjust it because she hit the DD right after, complicating any correction. She doesn't get the DD if there is a rebound. So that's a mess. Mayim should not have ruled her correct. It was an incomplete response.
This.
Thanks for reminding me. I was going to post the same.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:16 pm My precall for FJ was "locusts and wild honey". Once the clue was revealed, all I had to do was cross off the last three words. :mrgreen:
I went with frogs because I couldn't remember if locusts have cloven hooves :lol: . I thought I'd probably regret it. Is the pinning to the KJV Bible relevant? Did John eat donuts or something else in the newer versions?

I don't get the hand wringing about "underbets". Guhan lost $400 on clue 2 in the category, the $1000 clue was a stand and stare, and he's killing Matt on the buzzer. Why is he required to scorch the earth for an extra $1900 with a lot of game left to play? He was virtually $4K+ ahead by finding the elusive DD (without any apparent effort to do so) because it kept Matt in place. His fate probably depended only on getting to one half of Matt's score and hitting the make/miss scenario (which he did). Thanks to not having an onscreen scoreboard, I have no idea when he was at that threshold, but he had it very late in the game before going negative. (I see from the archive that the pivot was clue 22, about John Cho).

I thought Matt was doomed by the Thursday jinx until I realized he was getting smoked on the buzzer.

BTW, the category name was onscreen for FJ, a la the Mike Richard's era. Weird.
There's been no part of any show this week that made me miss Alex at the podium. I will probably miss Mayim when KJ comes on, but I will attempt to keep an open mind.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Category 13 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:39 pm When Matt blurted out "Phoney Money" after Mayim declared him out of time, and just as Caroline buzzed in for the rebound, it almost phsyched Caroline out of saying the correct response. I believe she was thinking "did he just say funny money and get negged?".
I don't think she was psyched out; she was still hitting her signal button, which is something she did again later.