Thursday, September 23, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, September 23, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, September 23, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FOOD & DRINK IN THE BIBLE

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In the King James Version, these creatures are a plague in Exodus 10, but deemed okay to eat in Leviticus 11

Matt Amodio: 26800-1000=25800 (27x = $955,201)
Caroline Minkus: 9200+8000=17200
Guhan Venkatesan: 11500+11493=22993

Correct response:
Spoiler
locusts (Matt – locusts frogs)

Daily Doubles
Guhan: 3400+1500
Caroline: 2800+2800
Matt: 10400+10400

Coryats
Matt: 18000
Caroline: 7200
Guhan: 10600

Combined: 35,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Matt: 6400
Caroline: 2000
Guhan: 5500
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Guhan left 1900 on the table at DD1. If nothing else changes then he could have had 13400 for the FJ! round. Doubled is 26800 which is exactly what Matt had. If Matt bets a dollar and misses then Guhan wins.

Of course the other side of the hypothetical is if Matt did not have a runaway then he thinks better for the FJ! clue and does not do a crossout the wrong way. Guhan also wins if Matt misses DD3.

Caroline with the last name of Minkus made me think of the character(s) from Boy Meets World (and Girl Meets World), but no such TV show clue in that area today. :(

For the FJ! clue I did the opposite of Matt and crossed out the wrong response (also considered flies) and switched to the correct one. Whew!

Whether it was the opponents or the material, Matt playing in a 35,800 combined Coryat game had that stat at the lowest so far this season.
Golf

Post by Golf »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:41 pm Guhan left 1900 on the table at DD1. If nothing else changes then he could have had 13400 for the FJ! round. Doubled is 26800 which is exactly what Matt had. If Matt bets a dollar and misses then Guhan wins.
You're playing a 26-time champion, you've sat in the audience and watched the ass kicking for 3 games, you're lucky enough to get off to a good start and then find the DD in the first round. AND YOU ONLY WAGER $1500 OF A POSSIBLE $3400?

This is why great trivia minds with great strategy rarely lose. Because the vast majority of contestants have zero game awareness and can't adapt. Even when the door is wide open for the win.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Golf wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:15 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:41 pm Guhan left 1900 on the table at DD1. If nothing else changes then he could have had 13400 for the FJ! round. Doubled is 26800 which is exactly what Matt had. If Matt bets a dollar and misses then Guhan wins.
You're playing a 26-time champion, you've sat in the audience and watched the ass kicking for 3 games, you're lucky enough to get off to a good start and then find the DD in the first round. AND YOU ONLY WAGER $1500 OF A POSSIBLE $3400?

This is why great trivia minds with great strategy rarely lose. Because the vast majority of contestants have zero game awareness and can't adapt. Even when the door is wide open for the win.
Guhan shared on Reddit:
I did think about it, but in practice I’d biffed a true DD and I reckon I psyched myself out of taking the risk. Honestly more pissed about missing the Harold and Kumar question because I’ve always wanted to see that movie (and if I hadn’t buzzed in and results held, I would’ve have pulled the upset). Game really turned on that and Matt’s DD from my POV
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:58 pm Guhan shared on Reddit:
I did think about it, but in practice I’d biffed a true DD and I reckon I psyched myself out of taking the risk. Honestly more pissed about missing the Harold and Kumar question because I’ve always wanted to see that movie (and if I hadn’t buzzed in and results held, I would’ve have pulled the upset). Game really turned on that and Matt’s DD from my POV
To me, that's a failure in preparation, especially when you know who your opponent is likely to be. You have to make yourself comfortable with the idea of going all-in every time, no matter what has happened.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Armandillo

Post by Armandillo »

The amount of armchair quarterbacking on this board never ceases to amaze me.

People don't understand that games don't occur under perfect conditions. :lol:
Golf

Post by Golf »

Armandillo wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:05 pm The amount of armchair quarterbacking on this board never ceases to amaze me.

People don't understand that games don't occur under perfect conditions. :lol:
The amount of Jeopardy contestants who have no clue how to play the game when given a once in a lifetime opportunity never ceases to amaze me.

No, games don't occur under perfect conditions. That's why you prepare as hard as you can. If properly prepared, one knows that 99%+ of the time you either bet the min or the max on the DD in the first round. One knows that when playing a player better than yourself you have to play more aggressively to have a chance. One knows that you have to hunt the DD's instead of going back to the top of the board like today's challengers did too often.

If Guhan was properly prepared, he wins today's game.
tddeveryday
DIY Problem Solver

Post by tddeveryday »

After crunching numbers from J! Archive stats, these are Matt's average scores after DJ depending on how many Daily Doubles he finds. He always finds at least one DD in every game.

Edit: I gave the image a misleading title, but whatever, you get what I'm going for here.
My lucky numbers are 6, 66, and 666.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

On the first clue of the game, I said "anthropomorphism" for "personification". Judges?
mdude04
Valued Contributor

Post by mdude04 »

I think Matt was basically saying "I think it's locusts and I'm sure that's what the other two wrote, but since this is a no-risk guess for me I'll throw out a more obscure guess just in case." In other words, the hypothetical scenarios for Guhan winning wouldn't have actually happened
Golf

Post by Golf »

mdude04 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:24 pm I think Matt was basically saying "I think it's locusts and I'm sure that's what the other two wrote, but since this is a no-risk guess for me I'll throw out a more obscure guess just in case." In other words, the hypothetical scenarios for Guhan winning wouldn't have actually happened
Just in case of what?

And there was risk, he wagered $1k of real money on his answer.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Linear Gnome wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:13 pm On the first clue of the game, I said "anthropomorphism" for "personification". Judges?
That's what I said, but I don't think it's quite right.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Linear Gnome wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:13 pm On the first clue of the game, I said "anthropomorphism" for "personification". Judges?
Don't see why not. It's what I said, too.

Also, I do wish contestants would stop going immediately back to the category they just found the DD in. Seriously, why?

For FJ, the first plague I thought of was locusts and I couldn't see a reason to switch.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:24 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:58 pm Guhan shared on Reddit:
To me, that's a failure in preparation, especially when you know who your opponent is likely to be. You have to make yourself comfortable with the idea of going all-in every time, no matter what has happened.
How much preparation time did Guhan have between knowing his likely opponent and game day? Presumably he saw Matt finish the season. So that gives him a few weeks? Months? I guess it really doesn't take preparation in terms of hitting the books so much as psyching yourself up to what you obviously have to do.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Definitely. But you only get it on reversal because we weren't prepared for it. That means your opponent got "personification" on the rebound and arguably won because of that. So we'll be inviting you back.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

squarekara wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:59 pm
That's what I said, but I don't think it's quite right.
Where does it go wrong? I think they'd have to accept it.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

My precall for FJ was "locusts and wild honey". Once the clue was revealed, all I had to do was cross off the last three words. :mrgreen: