Thursday, September 23, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Re: Thursday, September 23, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

I'll say the same thing I always say when I feel people show a lack of betting strategy:

Bring 'em on
yclept
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by yclept »

Tough game for Matt as both challengers had enough speed and knowledge to keep his score down. One issue with this is that they essentially canceled each other out against a strong champion. One of them going up against Matt with a slower 3rd podium may have been able to pull this game out. That is all just speculation of course.

Since there is a lot of Guhan talk, I will give my two cents. I don’t typically like to criticize players much because who am I to judge? If your “nature” is a conservative approach to any game, it is hard to change.

That said, I think it is fair to think about this situation differently. Let’s say you never once watched Matt play (not true here, but let’s pretend). Johnny Gilbert announces a 26-day, $929,000 champion. Right away, you know this guy is on a different level, right? He is playing at Ken Jennings’ pace (actually a bit better). To beat him, you are likely going to need to play rather aggressively. You almost have to throw away whatever strategies you thought about beforehand and go a more aggressive route. Hunt for DD, wager big if you find them, etc.

Yes, there is a different scenario: Ken lost because he actually did miss on a DD, which allowed Nancy to get within range. So, playing conservative and hoping for a Matt mistake is a way to win. It just isn’t the way you should try to win. Again, the numbers that Johnny Gilbert is announcing tell you that this guy isn’t make many giant mistakes.

So, I think it is fair to question how he approached this game given what you are going up against. And this is true regardless if you know nothing, a little, or a lot about Matt.
Last edited by yclept on Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
hansenkd
Valued Contributor

Post by hansenkd »

yclept wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:32 am Tough game for Matt as both challengers had enough speed and knowledge to keep his score down. One issue with this is that they essentially canceled each other out against a strong champion. One of them going up against Matt with a slower 3rd podium may have been able to pull this game out. That is all just speculation of course.

Since there is a lot of Guhan talk, I will give my two cents. I don’t typically like to criticize players much because who am I to judge? If your “nature” is a conservative approach to any game, it is hard fo change.

That said, I think it is fair to think about this situation differently. Let’s say you never once watched Matt play (not true here, but let’s pretend). Johnny Gilbert announces a 26-day, $929,000 champion. Right away, you know this guy is on a different level, right? He is playing at Ken Jennings’ pace (actually a bit better). To beat him, you are likely going to need to play rather aggressively. You almost have to throw away whatever strategies you thought about beforehand and go a more aggressive route. Hunt for DD, wager big if you find them, etc.

Yes, there is a different scenario: Ken lost because he actually did miss on a DD, which allowed Nancy to get within range. So, playing conservative and hoping for a Matt mistake is a way to win. It just isn’t the way you should try to win. Again, the numbers that Johnny Gilbert is announcing tell you that this guy isn’t make many giant mistakes.

So, I think it is fair to question how he approached this game given what you are going up against. And is true regardless if you know nothing, a little, or a lot about Matt.
Of course, Emma beat James with a good third podium from Jay, but that game is so special that we are unlikely to ever see anything like it again. There will never be a combined Coryat that high again. Of course, Emma won with an extremely gutsy true DD. She knew what she had to do and did it. I really wish her loss a few days later hadn't been so flukey, with just the right unlikely set of circumstances combining to beat her. She absolutely could have been another super champ, as her ToC performance showed...
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I was in good company with Matt on FJ. Mrs. Alietr stuck with locusts FTW for her. Having little knowledge of the New Testament, I figure people eat frog's legs, but they don't eat locusts.
Leander

Post by Leander »

alietr wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:21 am I was in good company with Matt on FJ. Mrs. Alietr stuck with locusts FTW for her. Having little knowledge of the New Testament, I figure people eat frog's legs, but they don't eat locusts.
I went with frogs too, for the same reason, but I had a nagging suspicion I has read once that frogs legs were not kosher.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I would personally say to give yourself credit if you said anthromorphism. The clue wasn't pinned enough.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Another gritty win by Matt. The all-in DD was just about the margin in the game given the FJ miss.

I matched Matt with frogs despite having read all about eating bugs days ago, and alas, my streak to open the season is over.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2021 ... 110815grub
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

alietr wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:21 am Having little knowledge of the New Testament, I figure people eat frog's legs, but they don't eat locusts.
If you know nothing else about the New Testament, you can at least come away from this knowing that Exodus and Leviticus ain't in it.
DanKirshner
Contributor

Post by DanKirshner »

Correctly educated guessed locusts. Having been to a lifetime of Passover seders, I know locusts and frogs are two of the plagues. I was pretty sure frogs aren't kosher. I had no confidence that locusts are considered kosher, but it seemed the more likely of the two.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Poll question request: if you had to eat locusts or frogs which one would you pick.

I’d probably go with locusts I figure they can be roasted and salted.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
davey

Post by davey »

mahatma wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:44 am
alietr wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:21 am Having little knowledge of the New Testament, I figure people eat frog's legs, but they don't eat locusts.
If you know nothing else about the New Testament, you can at least come away from this knowing that Exodus and Leviticus ain't in it.
As several people in the thread have noted, knowing that John the Baptist ate locusts was helpful in solving the clue.
davey

Post by davey »

MattKnowles wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:39 am Poll question request: if you had to eat locusts or frogs which one would you pick.

I’d probably go with locusts I figure they can be roasted and salted.
I'd guess there's a number of posters who've eaten both. (I've had insects, anyway - I can't remember if locusts were among them or not...)
Frog legs can be deliciously cooked and seasoned...My memory is that insects don't provide much except crunch... :)
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

One time I was in the dinner group for a prospective faculty member being interviewed. We ate at what passes for a fancy restaurant in Rolla, MO and the daily special happened to be frogs' legs. I figured, if not now, when? They looked and tasted like extra-large chicken wings.

I don't recall ever having eaten locusts, but I did guess correctly on FJ!.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Linear Gnome wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:42 pm We ate at what passes for a fancy restaurant in Rolla, MO. . .
Is that little pie cafe still in business? Can't remember the name, but I do remember the Bumbleberry Pie!
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:13 pm
Linear Gnome wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:13 pm On the first clue of the game, I said "anthropomorphism" for "personification". Judges?
Definitely. But you only get it on reversal because we weren't prepared for it. That means your opponent got "personification" on the rebound and arguably won because of that. So we'll be inviting you back.
Had the same response, but this source differentiates the two.

https://grammar.yourdictionary.com/gram ... phism.html

They're both figurative speech, so they fit the category, but it could be a tossup. They blew it with Barry/Berry, so I might not be hopeful about an invitation back.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:08 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:16 pm My precall for FJ was "locusts and wild honey". Once the clue was revealed, all I had to do was cross off the last three words. :mrgreen:
I went with frogs because I couldn't remember if locusts have cloven hooves :lol: . I thought I'd probably regret it. Is the pinning to the KJV Bible relevant? Did John eat donuts or something else in the newer versions?

BTW, the category name was onscreen for FJ, a la the Mike Richard's era. Weird.
Most translations say "locusts" but the Contemporary English Version and the International Standard Version both go with "grasshoppers". The clue writers may not even have known this. They just know in a general way that there are a ton of English translations and even on tiny matters you just can't assume they all say the same thing. Pinning clues to the KJV as Jeopardy!'s Bible of Record is always smart.

Reptiles and amphibians are deemed unclean under the Law of Moses and therefore forbidden to eat. So the frog response was not kosher.

I mentioned in Monday's thread that J!'s official upload of FJ for that day included the new onscreen category display, even though that did not occur in the broadcast version. My speculation is that there was a certain amount of chaos after Mike's ouster and the new protocol just didn't get remembered and followed in time:

opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

alietr wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:21 am I was in good company with Matt on FJ. Mrs. Alietr stuck with locusts FTW for her. Having little knowledge of the New Testament, I figure people eat frog's legs, but they don't eat locusts.
I guess that's why people say you're not observant! :D
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Missed a few clues in Role Players.
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Wheelhouse FJ, couldn't have asked for an easier one. :mrgreen:
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Edit: Oops. Posted Friday's remarks here.