Friday, September 24, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Danmel
Valued Contributor

Re: Friday, September 24, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Danmel »

If you want to learn more about the Lusitania, Erik Larson's Dead Wake is an excellent read.
tddeveryday wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:11 pm I got FJ!, but I don't know history well enough to instantly remember the difference between the Lusitania and the Bismarck, so I had to think about it. I'll read up on both more closely.

I got DD1, but I agree that was a hard one.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Matt passes the million mark. And it only took him one game longer than it took James Holzhauer... to make double that. But it's two games ahead of when Ken did it. It does seem that Matt's biggest (but not particularly risky in terms of game outcome) bets have more often gone against him than in his favor. Or maybe that's just my confirmation bias. I've gotten the clue right on several occasions where he bet big and got it wrong. That tends to make an impression.

They really need to BMS "Who is HAY-lee" when the clue points to an American novelist from the second half of the 20th century. Mega-bestselling author of airport novels (including Airport) was publishing in the same time frame as Alex Haley. They're easily distinguished, but I feel the contestants should be required to make that distinction.

Ran the NOVELS BY QUOTE category. I probably would've clammed on the Frankenstein clue, but it was a DD so I took my free shot and sank it.

WECIB for FJ? Not surprised by the triple get. This will poll high. Higher than
Spoiler
Beatrix Potter on Tuesday? I'll be interested to see. Prediction: Both will poll over 80. At least one of them will poll over 90.
I enjoyed Bialik's explanation of why the spelling "Luisitania" was accepted. It feels like she pestered the judges for an explanation to make sure she understood the ruling and then wanted to share her findings with us. It was a good succinct presentation of how to apply the general rule.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:47 pm

Spoiler
Beatrix Potter on Tuesday? I'll be interested to see.
Technically not a triple get, but yeah, this was an incredibly easy one.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

doihavetoreally wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:57 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:46 pm
Robert K S wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:31 pm
doihavetoreally wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:56 pm I didn't think Matt will last this long or get to a million.
He's had some lucky breaks, but then, a lot of the game is about lucky breaks. We've talked about that before with respect to each of Brad, Ken, and James.

Based on the number of times so far he has needed luck, I will be surprised if he reaches James in number of games won or winnings, but I would delight in being so surprised. Go, Matt!
You'll be surprised if Matt does not lose by Thursday at the latest. Okay, you're on the record.
James' stats are so mind boggling that I didn't realize how close Matt is to #of games won.
Me neither!
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Ironhorse wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:06 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:47 pm

Spoiler
Beatrix Potter on Tuesday? I'll be interested to see.
Technically not a triple get, but yeah, this was an incredibly easy one.
Good point! I knew I didn't remember anyone missing it and didn't stop to think that this doesn't always mean a triple get.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

43R. 2/4 on big clues. Got my wires crossed and said consortium instead of symposium, wasn't able to think of a good guess for Frankenstein. Lots of opportunities for me to learn new things in this game so I should go back and review it later.

Missed Washington and said Alaska, Missed Kristi Yamaguchi and said Michelle Kwan, said Lookin' Out My Backdoor instead of Born on the Bayou, said vacation instead of sojourn, and said Etna instead of Vesuvius.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are Princess phone, Starz, Calabria, Danke Schoen, and tatami.

I'm simultaneously rooting for Matt Amodio to keep going and rooting for his competitors to bring him down. Good luck to everybody!
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I wonder how Lisa "Vilnuis" Osterman feels about the Luisitania ruling. (I know "ui = u" is different from "ui ≠ iu," but I've always thought her "nuisance" stance was an interesting one.)
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

Symposium was my guess for DD1, but the etymology had nothing to do with it.

Loosutainya was a pretty easy guess, but I NHO the captain or the quote. I appreciated Mayim's deconstruction of the ruling, but not really the rationale. It's just as easy to reverse the ruling by picking a word like "quit". There's no such thing as a baseline precedent in this damn language we call English. Just ask the "ghoti" guy on the board :lol:.

I know it's real money to Matt, but I'd like it if he dialed his buzzer dominance back a little in the garbage time endgame and let the losers answer a couple of the softball questions. They won't actually win any money (and Rebecca was in too deep to get to play FJ), but will maybe end their beatdown on a high note. It's like nailing that good drive after stinking up the golf course all day that makes you want to come back :D .

I have heard of the figure skater, but not since 1992, apparently. Not a good clue to be guessing at. The sport is unwatchable since they cracked down on the kneecapping incidents.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Golf

Post by Golf »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:42 pm I know it's real money to Matt, but I'd like it if he dialed his buzzer dominance back a little in the garbage time endgame and let the losers answer a couple of the softball questions. They won't actually win any money (and Rebecca was in too deep to get to play FJ), but will maybe end their beatdown on a high note. It's like nailing that good drive after stinking up the golf course all day that makes you want to come back :D .
*sniff sniff* Hmmmmm. Smells like bait. I’ll pass. :lol:
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

That was a sucky clue that referred to Beethoven as a musician. He's a composer.

The only Superchamp I enjoyed watching and wanted to see continue was Julia Collins. The others all got on my nerves pretty quickly and I wanted to see somebody else win.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

floridagator wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:18 am That was a sucky clue that referred to Beethoven as a musician. He's a composer.
Leaving aside whether composers may be considered musicians, he was a virtuoso on the piano.
hansenkd
Valued Contributor

Post by hansenkd »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:10 pm
doihavetoreally wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:57 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:46 pm
Robert K S wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:31 pm
doihavetoreally wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:56 pm I didn't think Matt will last this long or get to a million.
He's had some lucky breaks, but then, a lot of the game is about lucky breaks. We've talked about that before with respect to each of Brad, Ken, and James.

Based on the number of times so far he has needed luck, I will be surprised if he reaches James in number of games won or winnings, but I would delight in being so surprised. Go, Matt!
You'll be surprised if Matt does not lose by Thursday at the latest. Okay, you're on the record.
James' stats are so mind boggling that I didn't realize how close Matt is to #of games won.
Me neither!
Very close calls this week do make it suspenseful, though. If Tracy Pitzel can remember how they killed the toons, she is Emma Boettcher 2.0. If Guhan doesn't ring in on the Harold and Kumar clue, we might live in a different world. I thought Troy gave him a good run for a while, but then Matt had another of his dominant DJs.

One variable I wonder about is Mayim incorrectly not negging Caroline on the People Magazine clue in Thursday's game. If she doesn't get that DD right after that, maybe Matt does, and the whole series of hypotheticals in that game changes. The judges really should have stepped in there before the DD clue was revealed. "Sexiest Man" by itself is incorrect and "Sexiest Man of the Year" ("of the Year" added after Mayin ruled an incomplete answer correct) certainly isn't right.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

57 R (Missed the Bottom Three in Signature Songs.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:42 pm Loosutainya was a pretty easy guess, but I NHO the captain or the quote. I appreciated Mayim's deconstruction of the ruling, but not really the rationale. It's just as easy to reverse the ruling by picking a word like "quit".
The rule doesn't work in reverse. Otherwise correct responses could be negged on the grounds that it's possible to pronounce them in a way that makes them wrong.
yclept

Post by yclept »

It seems that whenever Matt misses his DD-1 double up, he doesn’t miss on his big DD2 or DD3 wager in Double Jeopardy. So many ways a player can lose and that is one way he can lose - by finally missing on a big wager in DJ and not being able to get back into the game.

It seems that players are starting to play a bit better (perhaps they are throwing more players who graded out exceptionally during the testing phase at him), but they still aren’t getting all that close. Still only one game during his entire run where he loses if another contestant gets FJ correct.
tddeveryday
DIY Problem Solver

Post by tddeveryday »

Danmel wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:45 pm If you want to learn more about the Lusitania, Erik Larson's Dead Wake is an excellent read.
Thanks. I'll put it near the top of my reading list, just cuz I'm in the mood to read good nonfiction right now.
twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:42 pm I appreciated Mayim's deconstruction of the ruling, but not really the rationale.
Juice and sluice rhyme with loose like in "Lusitania," but I still disagree with the judges because pronouncing it that way seems too unlikely.
My lucky numbers are 6, 66, and 666.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

tddeveryday wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:28 pm Juice and sluice rhyme with loose like in "Lusitania," but I still disagree with the judges because pronouncing it that way seems too unlikely.
The criterion is "possible", not "(un)likely".
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

No way was I pulling symposium in a reasonable amount of time
Guessed Faust for Frankenstein. :(
Lusitania was pretty much WECIB. :mrgreen:
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

DBear wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:23 pm Guessed Faust for Frankenstein. :(
So did Mrs Penguin! I thought that was a good guess. In fact, I'm declaring it Best Wrong Guess of the night. As a prize you get... the same thing you'd get for making a truly terrible guess. Oh well.
A Wray
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A Wray »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:42 pm
DBear wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:23 pm Guessed Faust for Frankenstein. :(
So did Mrs Penguin! I thought that was a good guess. In fact, I'm declaring it Best Wrong Guess of the night. As a prize you get... the same thing you'd get for making a truly terrible guess. Oh well.
Faust isn't a novel.