FJs for the 9/20/21 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 9/20/21 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:50 pm

The Dip used to kill characters in this 1988 film consisted of acetone, benzene & turpentine, ingredients of paint thinner
50%
A book by her says, "It is said that the effect of eating too much lettuce is 'soporific'... but then I am not a rabbit"
91%
96 miles in total during its 3-decade existence, the most well-known part of this was about the same length as an Olympic marathon
65%
In the King James Version, these creatures are a plague in Exodus 10, but deemed okay to eat in Leviticus 11
63%
Saying he ignored warnings of enemy vessels, the British admiralty sought to blame William Turner, this ship's last captain in 1915
92%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  I checked all five above.
21%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
No votes
STARTS WITH "B" $1200: Guinea is a small species of this primate
43%
SPORTS VENUE NICKNAMES $1000: Nicknamed "The Loud House", the Carrier Dome is the stadium of this university in New York state
62%
SIGNATURE SONGS $800: It's a drum, it's a dance, it's Miami Sound Machine's signature song
50%
Ghostbusters (1984) was my incorrect guess for the Monday FJ! clue.
4%
I have seen Who Framed Roger Rabbit in a theater or at a drive-in.
38%
I have seen Who Framed Roger Rabbit at home viewing.
43%
Hadrian's Wall was my incorrect guess for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
12%
Appian Way was my incorrect guess for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
2%
I have seen the Berlin Wall in person.
15%
Frogs was my incorrect guess for the Thursday FJ! clue.
33%
I have eaten locusts.
2%
I have eaten frog, frog legs, etc.
35%
If I had to eat locusts or frogs my choice would be locusts.
17%
If I had to eat locusts or frogs my choice would be frogs.
49%
I am 10/10 on FJ! clues this season.
8%
I am  5-9 out of 10 on FJ! clues this season.
70%
I am 0-4 out of 10 on FJ! clues this season.
8%

Total votes: 92

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 9/20/21 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

9/20 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
1980s MOVIES

9/20 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The Dip used to kill characters in this 1988 film consisted of acetone, benzene & turpentine, ingredients of paint thinner

9/21 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CHILDREN'S BOOKS

9/21 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A book by her says, "It is said that the effect of eating too much lettuce is 'soporific'... but then I am not a rabbit"

9/22 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
LANDMARKS

9/22 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
96 miles in total during its 3-decade existence, the most well-known part of this was about the same length as an Olympic marathon

9/23 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FOOD & DRINK IN THE BIBLE

9/23 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In the King James Version, these creatures are a plague in Exodus 10, but deemed okay to eat in Leviticus 11

9/24 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
HISTORY OF THE 19-TEENS

9/24 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Saying he ignored warnings of enemy vessels, the British admiralty sought to blame William Turner, this ship's last captain in 1915

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Who Framed Roger Rabbit
(Beatrix) Potter
the Berlin Wall
locusts
the Lusitania
The players were 9/14 (64.29%) with a 1-3-1-2-2 success pattern.

The extra clues have three triple stumpers, meaning Matt did not get them right.

STARTS WITH "B" $1200: Guinea is a small species of this primate

SPORTS VENUE NICKNAMES $1000: Nicknamed "The Loud House", the Carrier Dome is the stadium of this university in New York state

SIGNATURE SONGS $800: It's a drum, it's a dance, it's Miami Sound Machine's signature song

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
baboon
Syracuse
"Conga"
MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 9/20/21 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Roger Rabbit only at theater.
Never eaten locusts or frogs but if forced to choose I’d go locusts
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Douglas Squasoni
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

No guess on Monday.
So long as they were cooked, I'd eat frogs.
Saw WFRR in the theater.
I never saw the Berlin Wall while it was standing, but I've seen several of the freestanding sections in London, NYC, Boston, and D.C. My brother also bought me a piece of it on a refrigerator magnet when he was in Berlin.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:( :| :|

Bonobo for the primate.
Syracuse would've been a DD get but total wag. Only non-Ivy I could name...
Two beats too late on Conga

Only seen WFRR on home media
I have not seen the Berlin Wall extant in Berlin, so I left it blank, but I have seen bits brought over so I really strongly considered checking it :D
(JFK Library for certain)

I picked frogs over locusts as I have had crickets, so I wanted the more different option.

9/10, and 9 straight so far.
Last edited by Volante on Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Berlin Wall just didn't come to me as I confined my mental search to the U.S. and Greece (thinking of an Olympics TOM, and feeling that only a young country like America would erect and raise anything that could qualify as a "landmark" in 30 years).

My mental coin went the right way on the frogs/locusts flip (although I also considered whether one of the plagues was a plague of serpents, but I had some vague feeling that Leviticus would proscribe eating snakes).

I'm counting myself as having seen the Berlin wall, although all that I have seen are the few extant bits left ~15 years after the fall.

My great grandmother gave pieces of the Berlin Wall as presents for Christmas 1989, but they were just as likely dislodged chunks of roadway found in her South Euclid, Ohio neighborhood.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Batman, Athens-Piraeus Highway
7/10 FJs
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I look forward to having my streak broken next week with some otherwise easy-peasy geography FJ.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Ghostbusters on Monday
RetiredDoc

Post by RetiredDoc »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

I have never seen Roger Rabbit
Really don't want to eat either frogs or locusts
Leander

Post by Leander »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Flipped a coin the wrong way between locusts and frogs
Had frogs legs once, don’t intend to have them again but would pick them over locusts.
Saw Roger Rabbit in the theater
Have not seen the Berlin Wall

9/10 on FJ so far
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

WFRR in the theater and "Roger Rabbit's Car-Toon Spin" ride at Disneyland. Ordered frog legs at a cajun restaurant solely in order to dance them across the plate to "Hello, Ma Baby."
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

:( :mrgreen: :(

I have seen Roger Rabbit on home video. I've been to Berlin and seen remnants of the Wall. Never eaten locusts or frogs; I think locusts are the more appealing option.

9/10, missing the very first clue.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
davey

Post by davey »

:( :mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen:
:( :( :(

OK, I got the easy ones... :oops: Not on the writers' FJ wavelength so far this season...
I've had frog legs/crickets, maybe not locusts. I remember the former as tasty, the latter not so much...
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Forgot the category and guessed monkeys.

I'm fairly confident I saw Roger Rabbit in-theatre, so checked yes. Definitely have it on video. Still, didn't think of it during the FJ and went with Batman, though I was pretty sure it was wrong.

Never eaten frogs or locusts, and wouldn't try either unless paid a handsome sum. Guessed Frogs.

Never been anywhere near Germany; closest I've been is NJ or NY, whichever is closer. Got the Wall FJ anyway.

3 right this week, only one last week, so had to check the 0-4 box. :(
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

--- :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ---

I never watched Roger Rabbit, though what reviews I saw at the time were glowing. I thought of frogs, but John the Baptist steered me to locusts. I remembered his diet from an "In Search Of..." episode. As for which I'd eat, time may yet tell.

Haven't been to Berlin. If I've seen ever bits of the wall in New York, I didn't recognize them.
I'm smart and I want respect.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :( :mrgreen:

Hadrian's Wall Wednesday. I'd eat frog legs first, but I'd try locusts too.
MasterCone
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by MasterCone »

All good things must come to an end... finally blew my 21 straight FJ streak on the first day of the week. Never saw it. I was 9 when it came out, and after seeing the dip scene for the first time this week, I figure my parents thought this was too much for my fragile little mind.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

My frog-eating experience was at a restaurant in Lyon, where I ordered the frog's legs and was brought a giant bowl that had at least five pounds of crispy-fried legs. I tried for a time to use fork and knife, but that revealed itself impractical. I think I got some dirty looks in the restaurant.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen: :(

Matched Matt with "locusts frogs" on Thursday.

Know of guinea pigs and guinea fowl, but NHO guinea baboons.

Have seen the Berlin Wall intact once and visited its remnants once. Berlin was still considered occupied until reunification and military personnel from the four powers had full access, so in the 70s we would see Soviet officers in West Berlin loaded down with shopping bags. I visited East Berlin in uniform, going through Checkpoint Charlie both directions, and mostly remember how drab and gray everything was.

Kurfürstendamm and Unter den Linden were busy boulevards in West Berlin, thronged with lively people wearing fashionable colors. On the east side, it seemed like everyone wore gray or brown, and hurried along near-empty streets with heads down and shoulders hunched. I remember particularly looking at a 20-meter tall statue of "Mother Russia" that had to have cost hundreds of thousands of dollars (probably many million East German Marks), with a plaque in German, Russian, English, and French that said the statue was placed by the German people in appreciation to the Russian heroes who saved them from fascism. Meanwhile, nearby buildings still showed unrepaired battle scars. If it had been up to "the German people" to decide how their money was spent, I think their priorities might have been different.

Visited again in 2016. There's about a hundred-yard length of wall near the Holocaust Memorial that is maintained as a memorial and museum; elsewhere in the city the location of wall is marked by a line of cobblestones. It's still very easy to see the differentiation, with modern and varied architecture on one side of a street and grey stone brutalist buildings on the other -- with the row of cobblestones down the middle of the street.

At that time, there was a replica of Checkpoint Charlie, staffed by actors in costume instead of soldiers in uniform, who would charge a DM or two to pose for pictures.

I tried to spoiler the photos to reduce the size of the post, but they turned out blank inside the spoiler box.

Sorry about running on, but the FJ generated some memories of a very emotional revisit.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.