Monday, September 27, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, September 27, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, September 27, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ROCK LEGENDS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A new studio album in 2020 gave him a Top 5 album in 6 consecutive decades, his first in 1975

Matt Amodio: 28000+5000=33000 (29x = $1,037,001)
Justin Stanley: 7600-1701=5899
Angélica Wilcox: 2800-2787=13

Correct response:
Spoiler
Bruce Springsteen (Justin – Bowie) (Angelica – Dylan)

Daily Doubles
Justin: 1400+1400
Angélica: 0+2000
Matt: 15400+5000

Coryats
Matt Amodio: 24600
Justin Stanley: 6600
Angélica Wilcox: 2400

Combined: 33,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Matt: 7000
Justin: 3200
Angélica: 0
Last edited by theFJguy on Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Me: Hmm, this could be a lot of people.

J!: "1975"

Me: Ah, thanks.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Mayim: Welcome to another Monday with Matt.

Sounds like a long-running TV show. :)

Two opponents each get a DD correct? No big deal as Matt got the third one right for more money than theirs combined. If Matt had lost that 5K he still has a runaway.

Funny what the players don't know as I thought the musical instrument pun to go with "sax" was well-known.

The FJ! category had me do precalls of half guitarists with Clapton and Hendrix and half groups with The Rolling Stones and The Who.

The FJ! clue had me looking at a no hope Markitple choice of Clapton & Dylan and I matched Angélica. As Myron pointed out, I should have thought more about the specific year of 1975 although I may not have got there even with a minute to think about it. For LL time I would have figured it out sooner than later.

On the weekly poll I joined three others for being 10/10 to start the season. Seinfeld is not a show I know much about while "The Contest" is famous enough for me to know, "I'm out". The 3 remaining J! poll voters can figure out who can keep getting FJ! clues right.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:34 pm Me: Hmm, this could be a lot of people.

J!: "1975"

Me: Ah, thanks.
Ditto. Was thinking Elton John until I saw the year.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by CasualJeopardyFan19 »

Honestly at this point I would not be shocked if Matt passed James's number of wins. Of course he still has a LONG way to go to catch either James or Ken's cash record, and that's a lot more questionable, but he could certainly at least snag the record for "second most amount of wins" to himself. James already has a lot of records in his name, he can afford to lose one.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Sorry the ukulele player couldn't catch a break today. That was my comforting pandemic hobby too!

I was disappointed with the Gwendolyn Brooks and Maya Angelou TeeEsses. Just this afternoon, we had the city come out to our alley to remove some gang graffiti on our block. I was planning to paint Brooks' "We Real Cool" on the side of our garage for those punks to enjoy. Her J! mention today might be a sign to go ahead with the project.

I hope the folks who want to see a more personable Mayim appreciated her callback to a player's interview during gameplay.

Oh, and I would've put in the "f" too:
https://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-dif ... n-n-143447
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

60 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:45 pm Funny what the players don't know as I thought the musical instrument pun to go with "sax" was well-known.
It doesn't mention the pair, but this was what I thought of:

TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

No guess at all. I legit did not know that Bruce had released any albums in a year beginning with a 2.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

Anyone else thought they should not have accepted “du-BOY”? Or did I hear It wrong?
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Woppy T wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:51 pm Anyone else thought they should not have accepted “du-BOY”? Or did I hear It wrong?
It's a plausible pronunciation.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

If Matt had hit those other two cupcake DDs he really cleans up.

No guess on FJ. Went with Elton John as a guess.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

38R. 2/4 on big clues. Didn't get Back to the Future and initially thought of the Schwarzenegger movie Junior which didn't seem right. Guessed Dylan for FJ. Good game for me to go and review later lots of stuff I didn't know. I didn't realize Jeopardy! was going to be on at the normal time I thought football was going to be on, but that's on ESPN today.

I'm 0/3 on FJs on Mondays this season. I'm 8/8 on FJs not on Mondays. Not sure if this is Mondays getting revenge because I don't like Mondays, or if this is just corroborating evidence that I was right the whole time.

Missed mogul and said slalom. Missed Kuwait City and said Abu Dhabi.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are Rebel Without a Cause, magnate, Gwendolyn Brooks, The Young and the Restless, and neologism.

Very impressed by Matt Amodio today, especially the gets on Utah (-69 deg at Peter Sinks and 117 in St. George) and Canada (Bluenose/schooner/dime).
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MattKnowles wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:46 pm Very impressed by Matt Amodio today, especially the gets on Utah (-69 deg at Peter Sinks and 117 in St. George) and Canada (Bluenose/schooner/dime).
Ahh, St. George...

In my younger years, parents would drive around the country with a travel trailer and drag me along. On one of these trips, we noticed a bubble on one of the truck's tires. Near St. George. On a Sunday.

Dad continued the drive to Vegas.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
davey

Post by davey »

I wouldn't have guessed Dylan since he's been around since the early 1960s...I wouldn't have guessed Bowie since he's been dead since 2016...
This is not my subject, but I thought my precall of Springsteen was obvious - then I thought, if he released an album in 2020 it was probably a live album for his Broadway show...and I changed to Elton John... :oops: A boneheaded move, I've made a lot of those this season... :x
I was afraid to press the trigger on Geraldine Brooks, but really shocked no one recognized Maya Angelou... :roll:
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Ironhorse wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:04 pm
Woppy T wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:51 pm Anyone else thought they should not have accepted “du-BOY”? Or did I hear It wrong?
It's a plausible pronunciation.
Missouri has many paradoxical pronunciations (such as Versailles, pronounced ver-SAILS, and Nevada, pronounced ne-VAY-da). There's a road near where I live called Gravois, pronounced GRA-voy. I always thought that either GRA-voys or gra-VWAH would make more sense.

I said Sting on FJ! but had a feeling 1975 was too early for him.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

davey wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:27 pm I wouldn't have guessed Dylan since he's been around since the early 1960s...I wouldn't have guessed Bowie since he's been dead since 2016...
This is not my subject, but I thought my precall of Springsteen was obvious - then I thought, if he released an album in 2020 it was probably a live album for his Broadway show...and I changed to Elton John... :oops: A boneheaded move, I've made a lot of those this season... :x
I was afraid to press the trigger on Geraldine Brooks, but really shocked no one recognized Maya Angelou... :roll:
Prince's posthumous 2021 album hit #4 on Billboard, but even counting that (and ignoring the year) he didn't get his first top 5 until the 80s.

Dylan, meanwhile, had a stretch of nothing qualifying for FJ criteria between 79 and 01... (and his first top five was in '65... but he -did- have a top 5 album in 2020, so I don't feel too bad about that guess now)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)