Wednesday, October 6, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, October 6, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, October 6, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
HISTORIC CALENDARS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Following Messidor, this summer month in the 18th century French Revolutionary calendar had a name meaning "heat gift"

Matt Amodio: 38600-22000=16600 (36x = $1,417,401)
David Garcia: 3000-0=3000
Casey Brown: 7200-1000=6200

Correct response:
Spoiler
Thermidor (Matt – August) (David – What is ??) (Casey – August)

Daily Doubles
Matt: 0+1000
Casey: 3200+3200
Matt: 15400+6000

Coryats
Matt: 34600
David: 3000
Casey: 4800

Combined: 42,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Matt: 9800
David: 3000
Casey: 2000
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Oh, I'm really surprised at Matt's miss here. If you know one thing about the French Revolutionary calendar, you know the correct response. (If you know two things, you know Fructidor.)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The reversal on the angle clue did not surprise me though I get why it went negtime when played.

Mayim is picking her spots to work in host humor and I like the alternate pronunciation for the garden plant.

Mayim could have made Matt give a first name for the president, but I'm also fine with why bother and just move the game along.

Casey played DD2 and doubled up 3200. Her 6400 was all the way up to 7200 for the FJ! round.

Matt played DD1 on clue 1 and "only" added 6000 on DD3. A miss would have had the game not a runaway for a tiny bit, but Matt is so good he is just about making the 4 wagering clues not matter at all.

The FJ! category had me precall Julian, Gregorian, Mayan, Chinese/Jewish, Ides, and if the clue was out of left field, then Nostradamus.

The FJ! clue had me done immediately and I thought "heat" only made it more of a giveaway. It was only when I saw the players skunk it and I read comments on The Jeopardy! Fan & Reddit that I began to realize the clue was not as easy as I thought.

What's next? Myron misses for the first time this season? No way LSV does not get it.

I would have lost a side bet on Matt missing it. Did he need "lobster" in the wording?

A win for Matt tomorrow and that will put him halfway to 74.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I only get this one since it showed up in LearnedLeague once, possibly in connection with lobsters. I missed it then, with the "heat" clue I get it today. Fructidor, I'd heard of, but wouldn't have pulled it.
GaryG
Contributor

Post by GaryG »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:37 pm Oh, I'm really surprised at Matt's miss here. If you know one thing about the French Revolutionary calendar, you know the correct response. (If you know two things, you know Fructidor.)
Brumaire is the second of two things I know about the French calendar. Month of Napoleon's coup. But yeah, Thermidor should have been a gimme.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:37 pm Oh, I'm really surprised at Matt's miss here. If you know one thing about the French Revolutionary calendar, you know the correct response. (If you know two things, you know Fructidor.)
Apparently I only know one thing. :lol:
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Leander

Post by Leander »

GaryG wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:21 pm
Brumaire is the second of two things I know about the French calendar. Month of Napoleon's coup. But yeah, Thermidor should have been a gimme.
Brumaire and Thermidor are the only ones I could name, too. No idea why I should know Fructidor.

I wondered if Matt misread the question and thought they wanted the month in English.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Leander wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:56 pm why I should know Fructidor.
Just as "Thermidor" indicates the hot month of summer, "Fructidor" is the "fruit month" (harvest time).
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Not sure how I knew this but I got it right.

Loved Matt’s expression when she explained (Mars)upial.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

I know zero things about the French Revolutionary Calendar (one, if you count knowing that it came from France). But when they gave a name for a month in the clue ending in "...dor," I figured that maybe the month name that they're looking for did too. That plus knowing that "therm-" relates to heat, led me to Thermidor, which I know to be a lobster dish but never would have associated with the name of a month.

But what the heck else did I have? Uh, zip-i-dor. So that's what I put down. I'll take it. This is only the second time in Matt's run that I have gotten an FJ right that he missed. So there's my pathetic little claim to fame. I'll take that as well. This runs my current streak of FJs to an all-time high of 12 in a row and 16-of-18 for the new season. Dang, I just may have to try out to become a contestant one of these days.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Yeah, no hope for me on this one. How do you KNOW this crap?!
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Students of history should also have heard of the Thermidorian Reaction.

Why am I only just now noticing that John Lauderdale's successor as stage manager is Jimmy McGuire? (Link to subreddit thread.) I noticed early on this season that Sarah Whitcomb Foss had a new credit as an associate director.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:47 pm Students of history should also have heard of the Thermidorian Reaction.

Why am I only just now noticing that John Lauderdale's successor as stage manager is Jimmy McGuire? (Link to subreddit thread.) I noticed early on this season that Sarah Whitcomb Foss had a new credit as an associate director.
And you were the next poster. :)
viewtopic.php?p=362490#p362490
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

I guessed Humidor for FJ -- a WAG that I thought was humorous but really, really wrong.
a1srvng
Valued Contributor

Post by a1srvng »

What!!!? I got "Thermidor" and Matt didn't? Darn, I am going to have to start watching again.
davey

Post by davey »

Separating month and name, like they aren't the same, makes the clue a little murky. Why not-
Following Messidor, this name of a summer month in the 18th century French Revolutionary calendar means "heat gift"

I had to get over the idea the clue was looking for the equivalent in our calendar before I realized the correct response. Apparently Matt and Casey didn't get over that...
Also happy to get parvenus and twee among Matt's misses...I did miss Kamchatka, though... :oops:
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

I precalled the reversal of bias. In an ideal world, it would have got a BMS. Instaget FJ. I’m surprised that Matt couldn’t pull it, so I guess he’s human after all :mrgreen: