Wednesday, October 6, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Re: Wednesday, October 6, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Rackme32 »

I've never even heard of this French calendar before, thought July or August for a sec, then looked back and spotted the name Messidor.

Thought for a sec of other similar-length "dor" words, stopped for a sec at Humidor, then thought of Thermidor, thermal=heat... that *had* to be it.

Sometimes, ya know stuff ya didn't know ya knew...
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:48 pm Mayim is picking her spots to work in host humor and I like the alternate pronunciation for the garden plant.
That was a good one. I'm not sure if it's more impressive if it was spontaneous or planned (the latter implying time to go over questions in advance)

Anyway, the month following a gift of Messi would be September.

Because he signed with PSG -in- August.

Please tip your waitress generously. They're not paid nearly enough to put up with my shtick. :lol:
Last edited by Volante on Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

42R. 4/4 on big clues. First learned the term thermidor from the Boardwalk Empire scene about lobster thermidor. I learned it was a French calendar month later.

Missed Acts and said Romans, Chandler and said Hammett, Oberlin and said Kent State.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are Kavalier & Klay, cuckoo, jet stream, Michael Bolton, and mercurial.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

Volante wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:39 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:48 pm Mayim is picking her spots to work in host humor and I like the alternate pronunciation for the garden plant.
That was a good one. I'm not sure if it's more impressive if it was spontaneous or planned (the latter implying time to go over questions in advance)
Was that humor?? I thought she was just acknowledging that the tomato grower was in the UK...I guess it was a comparatively subtle touch after "ketchup" in the clue... :roll:
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

When Matt answered "who is Cole" for a question that referred both to Nat and Natalie, that was going beyond BMS range and was simply bad taste. Someone of his level of Jeopardy achievement should know better than to do that. That was an insult to the writers, viewers, and host. I can't wait for him to lose.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

davey wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:48 pm
Was that humor?? I thought she was just acknowledging that the tomato grower was in the UK...I guess it was a comparatively subtle touch after "ketchup" in the clue... :roll:
Let's call the whole thing off
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
RetiredDoc

Post by RetiredDoc »

Made the same mistake as Matt and Casey, thinking they wanted the equivalent month in our calendar, and said August. Would never have gotten Thermidor, lacking pretty much any knowledge about the French Revolutionary calendar (that puts me in quite the minority here).

Thought the Adams clue should have had a be more specific
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I never knew Thermidor was anything other than a lobster dish. I got as far as writing down "Chaud."
davey

Post by davey »

Volante wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:57 pm
davey wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:48 pm
Let's call the whole thing off
I noticed she passed up the chance for hilarity when she didn't mispronounce philately so that the pun would make sense...
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

floridagator wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:54 pm When Matt answered "who is Cole" for a question that referred both to Nat and Natalie, that was going beyond BMS range and was simply bad taste. Someone of his level of Jeopardy achievement should know better than to do that. That was an insult to the writers, viewers, and host. I can't wait for him to lose.
Get off your cross. The clue specified a woman, the man had been dead for a quarter century, and it's not Matt's fault his response was deemed sufficient.
tddeveryday
DIY Problem Solver

Post by tddeveryday »

Today was an interesting game if you like seeing Matt achieve unique personal bests. Matt absolutely dominated today's Double Jeopardy! round on the buzzer, even though his end-of-DJ! score doesn't look that different from the usual. Casey successfully rang in three times, David not at all. Everything else was either Matt or nobody ringing in (and there were only two of those).

I've never seen anyone shut out their opponents this much in a single round of Jeopardy! I can't recall James Holzhauer ever doing this in any of his games. Impressive is an understatement.

I agree with TPH about FJ. How do you guys know this shit?? I thought this one was too hard even for a ToC.
My lucky numbers are 6, 66, and 666.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

floridagator wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:54 pm When Matt answered "who is Cole" for a question that referred both to Nat and Natalie, that was going beyond BMS range and was simply bad taste. Someone of his level of Jeopardy achievement should know better than to do that. That was an insult to the writers, viewers, and host. I can't wait for him to lose.
When the clue specified "this woman" I would have assumed just the last name would be enough. On the other hand, it seems like he should have needed to be more specific on the John Adams clue.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I now know two or three things about the French calendar, including it's existence.

Matt continues to impress with his depth and breadth of knowledge. He seems to organically know a lot of stuff, not just from studying lists and taking Sporcle quizzes. His ability to name characters from books, operas, plays, and vice versa is most impressive to me.

I think he should have had to name Natalie Cole. It's the kind of thing that can elude you when you get your brain tangled up with Nat King Cole.

Matt ran the Bible category, but it took all game to do it (clue 2 and 29). I wonder if they'll bring back the audience applause break for running categories after Matt's reign? I wonder if we'll ever see another category played in order?

If I did this right, I don't think we have had any unplayed clues this season. Has Mayim even made the Less than a minute now announcement?
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:19 pm I now know two or three things about the French calendar, including it's existence.
But not about the difference between its and it's. :P
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

I was ecstatic (and shocked) to see my left-field precall was correct, although I had assumed "lobster" would appear in the clue somewhere. It felt like the only logical calendar system to mine deeper than a superficial reference like "long count."

But then again, I am obsessed with the French Republican calendar — it's quite possibly my second-favorite historical topic after the papacy. Converting the calendar and clock into a decimal system was absolutely brilliant.

IMO, the names of the winter months are the most beautiful triad in the French language: nivôse (snowy), pluviôse (rainy), and ventôse (windy). Something about the way the -ôse sounds when spoken.
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

59 R (Missed DJ Jazzy Jeff.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
yclept

Post by yclept »

Is there a topic that Matt has shown any blind spots with? I can’t think of any. He tends to stay away from pop culture a bit, but I think that is him strategically looking for DD which aren’t typically hidden in those categories. When he goes to them, he tends to be rather strong.

It is amazing that he isn’t yet at Ken Jennings’ halfway point.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:05 am 59 R (Missed DJ Jazzy Jeff.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Your parents just won’t understand. :lol:
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

yclept wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:20 am Is there a topic that Matt has shown any blind spots with? I can’t think of any. He tends to stay away from pop culture a bit, but I think that is him strategically looking for DD which aren’t typically hidden in those categories. When he goes to them, he tends to be rather strong.

It is amazing that he isn’t yet at Ken Jennings’ halfway point.
Visual clues. He squints like he needs glasses and his opponents have done well when there are pictures.

Also, fashion clues have largely been absent from his run. I think he missed a few that showed up in non-fashion categories.

He missed a few clues about flags last season.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

tddeveryday wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:05 pm Casey successfully rang in three times
Of course, she had four rights, one of them being a DD.