Thursday, October 7, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, October 7, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:09 am Here's a game where Alex accepted "triathalon", while noting the misspelling.

Show #3460 - Friday, September 24, 1999

Someone on Twitter pointed out that, for some reason, M-W lists "\ trī-ˈa-thə-län \ as a "nonstandard" pronunciation (ditto for "pentathlon") but does not do the same for "biathlon". So there is at least some consultable-reference-work justification for accepting "triathalon" and "pentathalon" and not "biathalon".
That seems more like a rationale than a justification, and likely an oversight on the dictionary's part rather than a judgment. But is J! constrained to accept something a dictionary calls nonstandard?
davey

Post by davey »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:12 am
trainman wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:16 am Yeah, despite Mayim's wishes, "Jeopardy!" is not a judgment-free zone.
That remark was some patently silly newspeak from the person whose job is to judge
It''s a banal remark, but of course she wasn't thinking about the answers and questions, and I doubt she thinks of her job that way. On James Corden's show recently, she said her job was just to read clues, and she also said she'd do terribly on J! herself. I think she'll be deferring to the real judges when there's the slightest doubt, for some time to come.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:52 am
Robert K S wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:09 am Here's a game where Alex accepted "triathalon", while noting the misspelling.

Someone on Twitter pointed out that, for some reason, M-W lists "\ trī-ˈa-thə-län \ as a "nonstandard" pronunciation (ditto for "pentathlon") but does not do the same for "biathlon". So there is at least some consultable-reference-work justification for accepting "triathalon" and "pentathalon" and not "biathalon".
That's interesting. You definitely hear lots of people adding that schwa in those words.
I'm glad there's at least some justification out there. But yeah, I can accept "biathlon" having four syllables the same way I can accept "shuffling" having three.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:35 pm I'm glad there's at least some justification out there. But yeah, I can accept "biathlon" having four syllables the same way I can accept "shuffling" having three.
♫ Ev'ry day I'm biathalonin' ♪
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

And don't get me started on ath-a-lete. :D
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:52 am

That's interesting. You definitely hear lots of people adding that schwa in those words.
I have to believe that the overwhelming majority of people pronounce the biathlon and triathlon the same way, i.e. both without the schwa or both with the schwa. I don't think many people would say "biathlon" but then say "triathalon" or vice versa.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

alietr wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:21 pm I have to believe that the overwhelming majority of people pronounce the biathlon and triathlon the same way, i.e. both without the schwa or both with the schwa. I don't think many people would say "biathlon" but then say "triathalon" or vice versa.
It could just be the difference between the people that do triathlons and the people that do biathlons. The number of those who do the former is vast. The number of those who do the latter is quite limited. I've known dozens of triathloners but never met someone who said they like to do biathlons.

What I'm getting at is, maybe there just aren't enough people who say "biathalon" (to make it a dictionary entry) because it's not a big thing outside of the Olympics, where people (presumably) don't mispronounce it.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

I'm on record as being against the acceptance of "pentathalon" (I checked my posting history). However, given that they have accepted "pentathalon" and "triathalon" in the past, it seems harsh not to accept "biathalon". I'm glad that it didn't ultimately make any difference in the final placements. The inconsistency in M-W seems more like an oversight than anything else.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:35 am maybe it's (sic) just dyslexia.
Well-played, good sir.
I know if I miss the episode where Matt loses, the thread will be 60 comments long before my late evening logon.
I don't care at all about spoilers, but yeah, I'll know Matt's lost when I log in after getting home from work and the thread's already 5 pages long. When I see 9 comments, I know he wins that night.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:41 pm
alietr wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:21 pm I have to believe that the overwhelming majority of people pronounce the biathlon and triathlon the same way, i.e. both without the schwa or both with the schwa. I don't think many people would say "biathlon" but then say "triathalon" or vice versa.
It could just be the difference between the people that do triathlons and the people that do biathlons. The number of those who do the former is vast. The number of those who do the latter is quite limited. I've known dozens of triathloners but never met someone who said they like to do biathlons.

What I'm getting at is, maybe there just aren't enough people who say "biathalon" (to make it a dictionary entry) because it's not a big thing outside of the Olympics, where people (presumably) don't mispronounce it.
I'm late getting back to this thread, and I didn't think this topic would gain traction. I mentioned my event shirt with the misspelling already. I've done about 60 decathlons or heptathlons (the men's winter equivalent of the 10-eventer) myself, officiated dozens of NCAA multi-event competitions, met hundreds of athletes. It's 4-syllables almost every time. Negging this FJ is just wrong if you ever accept any other spelling approximation.

Now, what if someone wrote "realator", or "nuculear"? How about removing the un-sounded syllables: "Wendsday"? Bisness? (Hint - I'd take them all). What the hell - bring Woof on and accept "ghoti" for fish :lol:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

econgator wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:19 pm
Well-played, good sir.
I know if I miss the episode where Matt loses, the thread will be 60 comments long before my late evening logon.
I don't care at all about spoilers, but yeah, I'll know Matt's lost when I log in after getting home from work and the thread's already 5 pages long. When I see 9 comments, I know he wins that night.
Should that day ever come, I am betting most people are spoiled from some other direction before they happen here.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:33 pm
Now, what if someone wrote "realator", or "nuculear"? How about removing the un-sounded syllables: "Wendsday"? Bisness? (Hint - I'd take them all). What the hell - bring Woof on and accept "ghoti" for fish :lol:
Yes, please do!
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Lefty wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:29 am
econgator wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:19 pm
Well-played, good sir.
Should that day ever come, I am betting most people are spoiled from some other direction before the y happen here show airs.
FIFY :D
Total game show career losings = $171,522
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MattKnowles wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:45 pm 37R. 2/4 on big clues. Did not get backfire or magnum opus.
Are you freakin' kidding me?!?!!!?? How do you miss backfire?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:09 pm
MattKnowles wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:45 pm 37R. 2/4 on big clues. Did not get backfire or magnum opus.
I blame Kurt Russell
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:09 pm
I didn't know the firefighting term "backfire". I feel like I've seen the process described a bunch of times as "fighting fire with fire by setting a controlled burn" but somehow wasn't familiar with the term backfire. For engine noise my initial thought was "knock" and didn't think of backfire there either.

That's a lot of exclamation points and question marks.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

The term in phonetics for the infixation of a vowel in the middle of a word when saying it is "anaptyxis". The example Google gives in the definition is "filim" for film.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

teapot37 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:47 am The term in phonetics for the infixation of a vowel in the middle of a word when saying it is "anaptyxis". The example Google gives in the definition is "filim" for film.
Zero Archive hits for "infixation", "anaptyxis", or "filim".

The writers should steal teapot's post for a clue.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Robert K S wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:30 am
teapot37 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:47 am The term in phonetics for the infixation of a vowel in the middle of a word when saying it is "anaptyxis". The example Google gives in the definition is "filim" for film.
Zero Archive hits for "infixation", "anaptyxis", or "filim"
But plenty of Archive hits for teapot37 :mrgreen:
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I think the official pronuciation for anaptyxis should be A-nuh-puh-TIX-iss.