Thursday, October 7, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Thursday, October 7, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Robert K S »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:26 pm
Bamaman wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:06 pm https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4202

The extra a didn’t matter in the above game. Remembering this one got me to spell it correctly tonight.

I would have loved to see the social media firestorm if Tyler had hit the DDs, gotten on a roll and went into FJ with the lead and then lost because of the judges’ ruling.
Checking the recording I see that Alex said (approximately): We'll accept that, even though you misspelled it.
I hate to ask you to check once more, but it would be nice to have the exact quote for Archive purposes :D
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

37R. 2/4 on big clues. Did not get backfire or magnum opus. Wrote down the correct spelling. I think the rule was interpreted correctly but it's a tough break. Real tough game for me, not my board today.

Missed Winston Smith and said O'Brien, missed 39 Steps and said North by Northwest, candles instead of funeral pyres, William Henry Harrison instead of Taylor, and WeFix instead of IFix.

Did poorly on the SNL category and need to go figure that one out. It's a known weak category and I bought Colin Jost's biography thinking maybe it would help but I haven't read it yet. I'm hoping it has stories about interactions with SNL cast members. Also I should go watch the new season premier.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are Dean Wormer, fumarole, Bonfire of the Vanities, RE/MAX, and Planet Fitness.

For the Planet Fitness clue I got thrown off because for some reason I thought there was a gym with a logo of Atlas holding up the Earth. In my visualization it had the same colors as Gold's Gym and that's what I was trying to think of. I can't find anything like that and I wonder if I'm imagining that now.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
SBurrus
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by SBurrus »

Watching the DVR recording, the affiliate station that carries Jeopardy! did a 3-minute newsbreak after the J round. First time I had noticed this. Hope it's not a habit; my DVR stopped recording right after Matt revealed his answer. Or, I'm going to have to start extending the time my DVR records.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Maddie never recovered from her WAG of Harry Potter on the first clue. Winston Smith was also the name of a criminal killed by police in Minneapolis recently.

The contestants hunted mightily for Daily Doubles in the double jeopardy round but they were irrelevant because of Matt's substantial lead by the time the first one was found.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
davey

Post by davey »

I was surprised Matt thought he needed the name for "Scene Here" $2000. The clue said "this college official." I think Dean should be enough. Else why not say "this dean"? What came out of Matt's mouth was more Warmer than Wormer. Not that I expected a reversal, but saying it that way kinda misses the point... :roll:
More confirmation in this game that Matt has trouble seeing the visual clues. I wonder if he couldn't even see the boulders? That scene - and the title of the film, Seven Chances - are not exactly obscure, something I would expect Matt to know... I assume he misread the clue for which he responded Marley...Guessing Snape was kind of weird too. (I still haven't seen the last 2 movies, so don't spoil anything!) It did lead Maddie to her guess and started her downfall...
If I had known the right FJ response, I would have spelled it right. I have to wonder if it had been an oral response if Tyler would have been negged...At what point does lingering over that th sound become unacceptable??
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I figured that was a kid's tourney level FJ. Never would have predicted the misspelling error. I definitely agree that "biathalon" shouldn't be accepted, though.

I doubt I'd have been able to pull Winston Smith if I hadn't just read Nineteen Eighty-Four about a month ago.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:36 pm That's a "berry" tough spelling judgment.
Yeah, despite Mayim's wishes, "Jeopardy!" is not a judgment-free zone.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:17 pm Yeah, this FJ! could be anything.
Considering there are only 15 sports in the Winter Olympics this is a slight exaggeration.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Didn't see the episode, but easily got FJ from the here.

I don't like negging for spelling unless there is some ambiguity. I've known a couple of intelligent (not just smart) people who can't spell for shite. Maybe someone here knows of a neuroscience reason, maybe it's (sic) just dyslexia.

Pointless anecdote alert: I participated in Master Track multi-events for many years, and one of the meets featured t-shirts for the Indoor Heptathlon. Surely there's a winter sports equivalent for the "Biathalon" :).

I know if I miss the episode where Matt loses, the thread will be 60 comments long before my late evening logon.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:35 am

I don't like negging for spelling unless there is some ambiguity. I've known a couple of intelligent (not just smart) people who can't spell for shite. Maybe someone here knows of a neuroscience reason, maybe it's (sic) just dyslexia.
There was that one player a few years ago, MacKenzie, who won eight games but misspelled most of her FJ answers.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

davey wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:43 pm I was surprised Matt thought he needed the name for "Scene Here" $2000. The clue said "this college official." I think Dean should be enough.
I said "Dean"... and if prompted, the best additional I would have been able to do is "Dean of students?"
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

trainman wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:16 am Yeah, despite Mayim's wishes, "Jeopardy!" is not a judgment-free zone.
That remark was some patently silly newspeak from the person whose job is to judge
yclept

Post by yclept »

Either Matt hated the FJ category or he was a little gun shy after losing $22K the day before. Nobody will ever complain about yet another $50K+ score, but he had an opening to bet a bundle again (who am I to say that risking $9K is not a bundle?)

Matt has single handily saved Jeopardy from the talk of the town being nothing but the hosting debacle.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

I'm curious if there is an in-studio indication to the contestants that the game is pausing for the first break. It looks like Matt put his signaling device down immediately after answering the prior question.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

heppm01 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:34 am I'm curious if there is an in-studio indication to the contestants that the game is pausing for the first break. It looks like Matt put his signaling device down immediately after answering the prior question.
I think it's pretty easy for him to tell when 15 clues are gone when you're working from the bottom up like he does, (bottom two rows are gone and half the third row is gone) but IIRC the stage manager is also holding up an arm and possibly Matt is also able to see some reflection from an indicator light on the host's lectern.

The contestant coordinators do coach the contestants not to glance offstage so it's unlikely Matt is focusing on what the stage manager is doing, unless he catches it in his peripheral vision.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

heppm01 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:34 am I'm curious if there is an in-studio indication to the contestants that the game is pausing for the first break. It looks like Matt put his signaling device down immediately after answering the prior question.
Matt figured after 15 clues that was it (even though the break was 16 on Oct. 6) or Jimmy gave a visual signal as stage manager? Matt would not be able to hear if Mayim was told through the ear piece.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Here's a game where Alex accepted "triathalon", while noting the misspelling.

Show #3460 - Friday, September 24, 1999

Someone on Twitter pointed out that, for some reason, M-W lists "\ trī-ˈa-thə-län \ as a "nonstandard" pronunciation (ditto for "pentathlon") but does not do the same for "biathlon". So there is at least some consultable-reference-work justification for accepting "triathalon" and "pentathalon" and not "biathalon".
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

One of the J!6 clues for 10/8:
Spoiler

Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I will always associate "judgment free zone" with Nick Castellanos hitting a home run to "Judgment Free Zone" sign at Kauffman Stadium while Thom Brennaman was getting fired on-air.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:09 am Here's a game where Alex accepted "triathalon", while noting the misspelling.

Show #3460 - Friday, September 24, 1999

Someone on Twitter pointed out that, for some reason, M-W lists "\ trī-ˈa-thə-län \ as a "nonstandard" pronunciation (ditto for "pentathlon") but does not do the same for "biathlon". So there is at least some consultable-reference-work justification for accepting "triathalon" and "pentathalon" and not "biathalon".
That's interesting. You definitely hear lots of people adding that schwa in those words.