FJs for the 10/4/21 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 10/4/21 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:50 pm

10 years before a more famous work, he wrote in 1503 that the way to deal with rebels is to placate them or eliminate them
84%
This phrase relating nutrition & health was popularized by fruit scientist J.T. Stinson at the 1904 St. Louis World's Fair
69%
Following Messidor, this summer month in the 18th century French Revolutionary calendar had a name meaning "heat gift"
55%
The official Olympic website says this event "has its roots in survival skills" practiced in the snowy forests of Scandinavia
88%
British zoologist George Shaw looked for stitches when he first saw this mammal in 1799, thinking he was being tricked
75%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  I checked all five above.
31%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
No votes
RIVERS OF ASIA $2000: Long considered sacred, the Godavari River flows 910 miles west to east across India into this bay
82%
THE AMERIC-ANNS $2000: The University of Hawaii's Ann Dunham Soetoro Endowment honors a noted anthropologist, this man's mother
40%
ACTOR-MOGULS $1000: Said about this studio founded by Charlie Chaplin, Mary Pickford & others: "Lunatics have taken charge of the asylum"
58%
Martin Luther was my incorrect guess for the Monday FJ! clue.
5%
You are what you eat was my incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
19%
Prior to the Wednesday FJ! I have no recollection of knowing Thermidor was a French Revolutionary calendar summer month.
41%
August was my incorrect guess for the Wednesday clue.
8%
CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT $1000: He tinkers with history at the Ministry of Truth, gets a girlfriend & has a very bad year - I was correct with Winston Smith.
65%
CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT $1000: He tinkers with history at the Ministry of Truth, gets a girlfriend & has a very bad year - I negged with a J.K. Rowling character.
7%
SCENE HERE $2000: In "Animal House" this college official has unfortunate midterm grade news: "Mr. Blutarsky... zero point zero" - My response was Dean Wormer.
43%
SCENE HERE $2000: In "Animal House" this college official has unfortunate midterm grade news: "Mr. Blutarsky... zero point zero" - My response was Dean.
19%
I spelled or would have spelled biathlon as biathalon.
5%
Kangaroo was my incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue.
16%
I have seen a live platypus in person.
9%

Total votes: 88

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 10/4/21 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

10/4 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
RENAISSANCE MEN

10/4 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
10 years before a more famous work, he wrote in 1503 that the way to deal with rebels is to placate them or eliminate them

10/5 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
POPULAR PHRASES

10/5 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This phrase relating nutrition & health was popularized by fruit scientist J.T. Stinson at the 1904 St. Louis World's Fair

10/6 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
HISTORIC CALENDARS

10/6 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Following Messidor, this summer month in the 18th century French Revolutionary calendar had a name meaning "heat gift"

10/7 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WINTER OLYMPIC SPORTS

10/7 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The official Olympic website says this event "has its roots in survival skills" practiced in the snowy forests of Scandinavia

10/8 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE

10/8 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
British zoologist George Shaw looked for stitches when he first saw this mammal in 1799, thinking he was being tricked

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
(Niccolo) Machiavelli
an apple a day keeps the doctor away
Thermidor
biathlon
(the) duck-bill(ed) platypus
The players were 8/14 (57.14%) with a 2-3-0-1-2 success pattern.

The extra clues have three that the challengers got correct.

RIVERS OF ASIA $2000: Long considered sacred, the Godavari River flows 910 miles west to east across India into this bay

THE AMERIC-ANNS $2000: The University of Hawaii's Ann Dunham Soetoro Endowment honors a noted anthropologist, this man's mother

ACTOR-MOGULS $1000: Said about this studio founded by Charlie Chaplin, Mary Pickford & others: "Lunatics have taken charge of the asylum"

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Bay of Bengal
Barack Obama
United Artists
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 10/4/21 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

You are what you eat
Kangaroo

Clueless on the Barack clue
Winston Smith and Dean Wormer.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I saw a live platypus in Australia (in a zoo or animal preserve) and recall hearing the specific fact about Mr. Shaw thinking the specimen was a deception, either from that visit or some other reading.
Here's one article.
The platypus was a much feistier creature and a much faster underwater swimmer than I had imagined prior to seeing it. Those things can really move.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :(

"You are what you eat."

Knew Thermidor from The Sandman.
Got Winston Smith, although I needed the rebounds for time to think.
I said "the dean" but could have provided the name if needed.
Spelled biathlon correctly.
I don't know that I've seen a live platypus.

Season: 18/20.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

First time clicking the box of glory this season.
Instaget on Winston Smith and Dean Wormer and very surprised Winston Smith was a TS.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 5/5 16/20
:D :| :D I really don't feel bad about not getting this.
Had Winston Smith, :lol: at the Potter guesses.
I am of a certain age where it would've been impossible for me to not get Dean Wormer.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:mrgreen: :| :mrgreen:

Thu - biathlon

Winston Smith
Dean Wormer

I apparently have not seen a platypus in person. And I've been to the Taronga Zoo. In Sydney. I've pretty much seen every -other- classic Oz animal. Platypus house must've been closed. Only possible explanation.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

"You are what you eat" was my first thought, but I came up with "an apple a day" by the time the clue was finished being read.

The Winston Smith clue was second in a show I was a little late to, and I got spoiled on it before I got to play the clue for real, but I think I would have gotten it. I would have clammed on Dean Wormer; I was blanking even on what the character's title would be.

I've never been to Australia, and the San Diego Zoo's site says that when they got platypuses in 2019, it was the first time in over 50 years that any had been cared for outside Australia. I haven't been to any zoo in maybe ten years, and I think I went to the San Diego Zoo once, in the '80s, so I can be pretty certain I haven't seen a platypus.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

:mrgreen: :cry: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Missed the superperfecto by putting down you are what you eat.

Playing at home I said “the Dean” but could have given his name if prompted, despite never seeing the movie.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Knew they wanted the 1984 guy, could not pull his last name
Same thing with Dean Wormer - would have answered Dean, did not remember Wormer
Have not seen a platypus
RetiredDoc

Post by RetiredDoc »

:mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Knew Dean Wormer
Knew Winston but couldn't remember his last name; Harry Potter never occurred to me for this question
MasterCone
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by MasterCone »

Had no idea Thermidor was a month but somehow it was the only thing I could think of that ended in -idor, which I figured it had to, that I knew was an actual word.

I said Dean only but that's because I "rang in" and then inexplicably blanked on his last name.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Had no reasonable guess for the French month; in retrospect there's enough there to suss it out but I drew a blank.

I originally thought I had seen a platypus in person, but I answered "no" because I'm not sure. Huh. I do remember thinking many years ago that a platypus was was about the size of a small muskrat, and was surprised to find how small they actually are. But I don't know if that's from an in-person observation.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

AFRET CMS wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:48 pm I do remember thinking many years ago that a platypus was was about the size of a small muskrat, and was surprised to find how small they actually are. But I don't know if that's from an in-person observation.
That the platypus I saw was smaller than I had thought they were was another observation I recall having.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :| :mrgreen:

Machiavelli was instaget. Didn't have any backup thoughts. I see the sense in guessing Martin Luther, though he wouldn't have tempted me away from the correct response.

Tuesday's clue found my mind working the way it's supposed to on these things. I started with the connection between nutrition and health and came up with "You are what you eat". I liked that ok except that it didn't seem to have anything to do with fruit. As I brainstormed connections between nutrition and health that involve fruit, the correct sentence-phrase came to mind.

Wednesday found my mind working the way it's not supposed to but often does. I got tangled up in the clue and thought, like Casey and Matt, that they wanted the English month name that corresponded to what they were talking about. I spent the rest of my time trying to decide if July or August would work better. When Mrs P announced her guess, I knew she was right. This clue kept me from checking the box of glory.

Biathlon came to me pretty quickly and made perfect sense. No chance I would've misspelled it, especially not in a way that would have cost me the get. I was a little surprised they negged Tyler's response. I remembered that "penthathalon" had been accepted previously, but couldn't recall if it was in an FJ or if it was merely the pronunciation that had been okayed. Arguably, there shouldn't be a difference between accepting the spelling and the pronunciation. But practically, it can be hard to tell if someone inserted the schwa if they keep it short.

I argued in favor of the original "pentathalon" ruling on the grounds that this spelling arguably led to the correct pronunciation in a way that the correct spelling does not:
opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:33 pm"Pentathlon" looks like it should be pronounced PENT-uh-thlon. The actual pronunciation has a different emphasis that is very difficult to render without tossing in a schwa right after the "-ath". It's pronounced pen-TATH-uh-lon, with a very short length to the "uh". "Pentathalon" is not an unreasonable phonetic rendering. I wasn't at all surprised they accepted it and felt they were right to do so.
I would make the same argument for "biathalon" and feel they should have accepted it. I think some of the best arguments for accepting pentathalon (and by extension biathalon) were made in the infamous emanciptation game thread. To wit:
seaborgium wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:44 amI was okay with the "pentathalon" ruling because the way we pronounce L is frequently identical to the way we pronounce schwa-L, especially when the L becomes its syllable's only vowel. And it often does that when preceded by a consonant that doesn't accompany it at the beginning of any English word. So people pronounce "tri-a-thl-on" and then add a traditional vowel for that schwa sound they're making. (This goes a long way to explain why "pentathalon" was acceptable but apparent equivalent "Saragasso" was not.)
and
davey wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:02 pm Would you neg "Katherine" or "Katharine Bigelow"? The director's name is Kathryn...."Pentathlon"'s variable iteration is similar. I can't think of a parallel for "Sargasso."
I expect this to change the minds of all right-thinking people who have hitherto been opposed to the acceptance of pentathalon and biathalon. :D

For Friday's get, I'll just repeat what I said in the game thread:
opusthepenguin wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:51 pm I started with kangaroo, then wondered about narwhal. Then I keyed in on the category and switched back to kangaroo. (When are they going to start putting the category name above the clue again?) 1799 would've been way too late for an early European narwhal sighting anyway. Once back in the southern hemisphere, I realized duck-billed platypus worked better and I vaguely recalled the anecdote related in the clue. Happened fast enough that I had plenty of time to mentally cross out kangaroo and write the full correct response. I'm glad we got confirmation that "platypus" was sufficient, but in my mind I wrote the whole thing. A quick google suggests there's only one kind of platypus, so no need to BMS but no penalty for BMSing either.
For the India bay I "rang in" thinking Bombay but switched to Bay of Bengal by the time I was ready to speak. For Obama, I clammed but would've said "Leakey". I was fixated on the anthropologist angle. I was familiar with the story of Chaplin, Pickford (who hated Chaplin), and others forming United Artists.

Came up with Winston Smith and guffawed at the Harry Potter guesses though in retrospect I see why the contestants went there. I wasn't sure if Dean was enough and was able to add Wormer so I did so. I've never seen a live platypus. I hope some day to see one. You can finish the poem yourself if you want.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Robert K S wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:17 pm
AFRET CMS wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:48 pm I do remember thinking many years ago that a platypus was was about the size of a small muskrat, and was surprised to find how small they actually are. But I don't know if that's from an in-person observation.
That the platypus I saw was smaller than I had thought they were was another observation I recall having.
Doesn't look all that small to me, but I don't recall seeing one in person.
davey

Post by davey »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :( :(
In a bad week, nice to have an old "wise" post of mine revived, and to have a query of mine put into the survey... :D
I said kangaroo on Friday, glad to be in good company on that...I think I was napping on Obama's mother...
If Dean is acceptable (I didn't remember his name until Matt mispronounced it), then surely Winston is as well. Or Smith. Because they're both fictional.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

:( :mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen:
:( :( :(

These boards are just getting harder and harder...
irene
Valued Contributor

Post by irene »

We saw the only two living platypuses (outside Australia) at San Diego Zoo's Safari Park, back in July.
They are very cute!
Because they are mostly nocturnal, the Park has reversed the day-night lighting in the platypus exhibit for our viewing pleasure. 8-)
We were fortunate in that they were quite active when we were there; we've heard not everyone is so lucky.

Here is the platypus cam at the Safari Park (best to watch late morning to late afternoon PT):
https://sdzsafaripark.org/cams/platypus-cam