Monday, October 11, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: Monday, October 11, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ends not with a bang but a whimper. Still a great run. Between him and Mayim, I think we've finally righted the ship.

I had a complete brain freeze here and couldn't think of what to put down
Charming
Valued Contributor

Post by Charming »

What the hey? My local station is replaying Friday's show.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Just like with James Holzhauer, we had boardies predicting that Matt's eventual loss would have to involve an unusual concatenation of lucky breaks and bold wagers for the winner. And just like with Holzhauer, it didn't play out that way. We have a new champ who didn't play optimally but managed to win anyway because Matt started looking like a good but not great player who just couldn't win the buzzer race enough times and panicked and blurted out wrong responses sometimes when he did.

I wonder if they changed up the person who throws the switch to let players ring in. They did that during KJ's run because they felt Ken was too in sync with the switch-thrower and was reflexively able to hit the button at the exact microsecond. Maybe ordering that change was the first directive of the new EP?
Fleeboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Fleeboy »

jeopardyfan939 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:48 pm

Turns out Mayim's tweet about starting in "the middle of Matt's tenure" actually was kind of a spoiler.
But hey, at least the episode wasn't leaked on social media unlike James Holzhauer's 33rd game where he lost to Emma Boettcher.
A bit surprised nothing leaked earlier today.
J! posted video of the Final on its official Facebook news feed at 8 p.m. Eastern, which spoiled the outcome for viewers in three time zones.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

AntmanB wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:40 pm I knew it wasnt Poland cause it was too Obvious. Sound of Music also lead me to Austria, but i wasnt sure if it was right.
Whatever works for you, but I don't see how Danube or Alps would lead anyone to Poland.

I also missed any spoilers, so was able to play from the archive in full suspense. I guess I'll go watch now for the human interest value.
I'm smart and I want respect.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

I'm surprised at a lot of things about this episode. But I'm really amazed that as of this posting, the discussion thread is only two pages long.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

This game had me thinking that the show's technicians may have serviced the buzzers with a long overdue tune-up.
DBear wrote: Medical terms seemed to be Jessica's pet category, surprised she went top down. :?:
I was shocked that Matt didn't steal most of those clues away from her with superior buzzer speed. After all, he is studying in the medical field, iirc.

I was agast at those FJ wagers. Particularly Jessica's as she was in the cat bird's seat to win on a triple stumper.
Even Matt over wagered by a grand. He only 'needed' to wager 4002-4005 to cover a zero bet from either of the challengers. This still would have left him below Jessica if she wagered to cover him doubling and they both missed. So I'm thinking he would be better off with a shortegy < 2999 bet.
kprather895
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kprather895 »

The news was the top story when I opened Chrome on my phone. Thanks, TVLine...
Spoiler
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I saw a preview during Wheel showing Maiyim’s comment about it being a close game. Then I saw she made it after the J round when Matt still had a decent lead without finding a DD and just blew it off.

Glad I wasn’t spoiled but shame on the show giving the results before many have seen it.

Matt seemed in a fog during DJ. Maybe all the games caught up with him. I agree his wager wasn’t the best as it put him below Jessica’s MSBIW but she made that irrelevant. Jonathan could have held back a few bucks but I don’t think that’s a big deal.

No, the players didn’t use great strategy but they showed superior knowledge in this game. Congratulations to Matt on a great run.

Nothing for me on FJ. Put down Czechoslovakia just to have something.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

Question #3, quiz of the day on Jetpunk today. FJ was a piece of cake. Actually, so was the quiz of the day. I got em all.

https://www.jetpunk.com/quizzes/general ... e-quiz-163
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I was tempted by Austria-Hungary but went the right way in the end.
bkellysky
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bkellysky »

Very exciting game.
Surprised to see two challengers both ringing in ahead of the champ.
While watching the DVR'ed show a half-hour after it was taped, I was scanning the NYT article (linked from this site) about Mayim Bialik and how the last week of the show had gotten the ratings a bump from the long run of the champion. A run that had ended Monday night. Then I noticed the article had been updated as of 7:48pm EDT. If I had read it a couple of minutes earlier I wouldn't have known.

But I got the FJ. As a kid in history class, I always wondered how that country got back together and Germany did not.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:17 pm Glad I wasn’t spoiled but shame on the show giving the results before many have seen it.
Unfortunately, I suspect that makes sense from a ratings standpoint. People who have been half-following the story may have decided to tune in to watch it happen. People like you and me weren't going to not tune in.

I'm glad to say I wasn't spoiled either. Last time, with James Holzhauer, I was spoiled in a place where I thought I could trust people: this board. But some boardie made a reply to something I said in another thread--maybe a projected date for JH to pass KJ's winnings. The reply commented that Holzhauer would have to keep winning until that date for this to happen and I thought, what an odd thing to say. And almost immediately I realized the most likely reason the boardie was saying that. Sure enough, my wife got home that night and we watched James Holzhauer lose. Thanks, boardie who thought he was being cleverly oblique. Thanks a lot.

Ordinarily, I'd carry a grudge about this until the day I died. But for some reason I don't recall for sure which boardie it was. Probably better like that. This way I can be suspicious of all of you.
yclept

Post by yclept »

All good things must come to an end. Today just wasn’t his day, especially in the world of Daily Doubles.

Now the question becomes whether or not we will have a string of 1-2 game wonders. It can be hard to forget that before Matt, we had one 7-day champ but many many many weeks of nobody being able to get on a roll. It is just the nature of the game.

I don’t even really mind that - but I will admit that it takes some getting used to when players go back to the more traditional Jeopardy style of top-to-bottom clue selection and standard $2K DD wagers!

The thing I hate the most is that we didn’t get at least one game of Ken hosting with Matt as champion.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Wow. End of a great run by a champion I'll look forward to seeing again. I'm going to propose a hypothesis contrary to some I've seen speculating that Matt was under pressure due to all of the noise and controversy surrounding the host issue. He seems pretty self-effacing, so I'm wondering if he may have been more comfortable flying under the radar a bit and may have been glad to let the controversy overshadow his running accomplishment. Now that the host noise has quieted down, he's the center of attention and it's conceivable he's feeling more stress these recent shows, not less. Just a thought.
DBear wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:48 pm Medical terms seemed to be Jessica's pet category, surprised she went top down. :?:
I was expecting a comment or two about Mayim's pronunciation of the diabetes type; I thought it might have led to a discussion similar to the "tin-EYE-tis" vs. "TIN-ə-təs" discussion not long ago. Pronouncing it "mel-EYE-tis" as she did is much less common in the hospital than pronouncing it "MEL-ə-təs," since it has the -itus "condition of" suffix instead of the -itis "inflammation of" spelling.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

AFRET CMS wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:00 pm I was expecting a comment or two about Mayim's pronunciation of the diabetes type; I thought it might have led to a discussion similar to the "tin-EYE-tis" vs. "TIN-ə-təs" discussion not long ago. Pronouncing it "mel-EYE-tis" as she did is much less common in the hospital than pronouncing it "MEL-ə-təs," since it has the -itus "condition of" suffix instead of the -itis "inflammation of" spelling.
I didn't notice that but I was surprised that she seems to think that the players "bid" in Final Jeopardy.
I'm smart and I want respect.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

I'll skirt around the obvious main topic of this thread and have a word with the judges:

Any reason nitpicky won't work instead of finicky? They seem like synonyms to me.
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

I went on Reddit early this afternoon and noticed the thread about todays game had a couple hundred upvotes and comments at that point. Shortly after, I went here and didn't see too may comments on today's thread. I wasn't sure what it meant, but going on Twitter an hour ago and seeing the NYT article pop up in my feed as well as the show's social media accounts mentioning today's FJ already pretty much spoiled it for me.

Either way, wow. It's finally over. Like Holzhauer's loss, the two competitors were able to restrain the champ enough for one (or in this case two) players to limit and exceed him, and take advantage of that in FJ. The way Matt was going in the first round, I figured if it was the day he'd lose, a big DD would set him back. But congrats to Jessica and Johnathan for simply outplaying him the rest of the way.

Congrats to Matt on leaving as a rare Jeopardy millionaire. Can't wait to see him play for pocket change in the ToC.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
MasterCone
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by MasterCone »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:28 pm I'll skirt around the obvious main topic of this thread and have a word with the judges:

Any reason nitpicky won't work instead of finicky? They seem like synonyms to me.
I simplified it even further into just picky! I don't see how it could be wrong.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Annexation —> Anschluss —> Austria

I also wondered, is that all there is? But Alps and Danube confirmed it

Got gaggle, bushel, nose (for noisome), and nematode on the rebound. Blanked on Zorba.

Matt seemed less in a fog to me, and more in a daze that he was losing the game. It was like watching a balloon slowly deflate.