Monday, October 11, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

merica
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Monday, October 11, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by merica »

I also went with Czechoslovakia for FJ, for reasons discussed above.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Too bad he didn't make it to Halloween ...

Amodio Halloween.jpg
Amodio Halloween.jpg (33.39 KiB) Viewed 2163 times
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

Did anyone else get FJ from the time Arnold Schwarzenegger claimed he had been born in the Soviet occupied zone in Austria?
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

AmodioCoryats.jpg
AmodioCoryats.jpg (38.7 KiB) Viewed 2134 times
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lefty »

alietr wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:51 am Too bad he didn't make it to Halloween ...

Amodio Halloween.jpg
What's treat?
I'm smart and I want respect.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

AFRET CMS wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:00 pm I was expecting a comment or two about Mayim's pronunciation of the diabetes diabeetus type
ftfy
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

alietr wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:41 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:54 pm The FJ! clue had me make a bad switch to Liechtenstein in overthinking/underthinking and not thinking as well as I crossed off the correct response in doubting it was really that easy. Keep it simple; I failed to do that.
Liechtenstein?!? How do you carve that country up? With an Xacto knife?
LOL. It's like kids in the back of a station wagon. "Mommmmm!!!! Oleg stuck his elbow in the American zone again!"
MrBluebird
Contributor

Post by MrBluebird »

I go along with the others who remember the sectors in The Third Man as a way to get to Austria for FJ.

I think Matt did a great job and gave all of us something to focus on as the show shot itself in the foot with the gun of Mike Richards in the library :lol:

The Washington Post article is interesting, given the postulation that the buzzers got a tune up during the taping break. Matt simply said that he wasn't able to get into a rhythm with his. Does anyone have a source for the tune up theory, or is it a WAG?
I think Matt's explanation of what happened is a fair one, noting that the others played good games. (and I am one of those fans who sneers a bit when people go top down now, I don't consider it "modern" (ie post Holtzhauer) Jeopardy play.
It was a good game, hope there are more to come. It is a reminder that winning even 4-5 times is pretty rare.

Mike
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:28 pm I'll skirt around the obvious main topic of this thread and have a word with the judges:

Any reason nitpicky won't work instead of finicky? They seem like synonyms to me.
I said Picky and counted it correct, since it fit all the category criteria. Please feel free to give yourself credit as well.

In tonight's game, esp. as we got well into DJ, it was the first time in weeks I had felt the old excitement, to see that a game was actually competitive and not a complete rout. And it even came down to how two contestants answered and wagered in FJ. That's the show I love.

Mad props to Matt, and I can only dream of doing one tenth as well if I ever manage to get on the show. But I'll be happy to see other faces and not to see five runaways each week.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

morbeedo wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:41 pm Annexation —> Anschluss —> Austria

I also wondered, is that all there is? But Alps and Danube confirmed it

Got gaggle, bushel, nose (for noisome), and nematode on the rebound. Blanked on Zorba.

Matt seemed less in a fog to me, and more in a daze that he was losing the game. It was like watching a balloon slowly deflate.
For me, "Alps + Danube" did it. I reached my longest streak of correct FJs a few games ago, and tonight ran it to 15.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

Was trying out a new DVR setup. Spoilered by Sony's spam, of all things. I guess they want to discourage DVR use. Haven't auto-spammed it because I don't want to miss an invitation to try out.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

I was watching with my parents and got to look smart as I kept yelling at the challengers for going to the farming category and the wordplay category, when obviously the Daily Doubles were in the history and literature categories. Lo and behold, I turned out to be right, and the fact that the lit DD was way up in the second row helped to prevent Matt from finding it.

I didn't think it was any grand conspiracy or even any great mystery how Matt lost:

-He had bad luck in not hitting any of the DDs, missing the space shuttle DD by one spot on his selection on clue 14 (he likely would have doubled from $6000 to $12000), and missing the George Washington DD by one slot on clue 4 of DJ (I don't consider it a guarantee that he doubles from $11000 to $22000 but could easily see him adding $4000 or $5000 there to potentially lead by over $10k)

-It seemed that outside of the lit and history categories it wasn't a great board for Matt in DJ. Clearly he wasn't great at the farming category with two negs, and while he might have just been getting beaten to the buzzer in the recent movies category, the miss on Venom suggested recent film may not be a particularly strong area for him.

-These two challengers were just very good. We might usually consider one strong challenger to have a better chance of knocking off a superchamp but in this case divide and conquer worked out pretty well. Strong gets all over the place including Jonathan nailing Martha Washington's earlier married name for $2k and "The Dutch House" from Jessica for $2k. All told they picked up 5 of the 6 $2000 clues after Matt scored 4 of 5 in the bottom row in the first round. ("gimmicky" was a triple stumper.)

-Frustration, pressure, unease, whatever you want to call it, obviously Matt was not too used to being in this position, not only in a competitive game in DJ, but as it went on finding himself trailing, and eventually in third place by an ever-widening margin. Things have been pretty easy for him for most of the last month of shows and no matter how cool and calm one is under pressure, when you're suddenly facing an uphill battle with not just one but two competitors who are beating you on the buzzer and showing off impressive knowledge, it would be human to be a bit rattled. Maybe he was pressing a bit, looked a few times like he buzzed in and then regretted it as he was struggling for a response and ended up being incorrect. Those responses that seem to come so easily when you're ahead by $30k might suddenly be harder to find when you're behind.

-FJ: I figured Matt needed FJ to be a tough one, either a triple stumper or a sole get in order for him to pull off the win from 3rd. This one clearly didn't do the trick. I did have the same thought others did that he could have considered Austria such the "obvious" answer given Danube+Alps that he figured he was sunk if it was correct so went searching for an alternative. Poland perhaps not the best given how far it is from the Alps but I don't really blame him if that was his logic. It indeed turned out to be correct that if he had said Austria he was finishing 3rd so might as well take a stab with something else!

In summary, Matt was (is) really, really good at Jeopardy! and it took something special to beat him. Maybe not what we all envisioned with someone making a huge late $14k DD wager to take the lead, but instead the champ simply being outplayed by two quite capable challengers over the course of one 30-clue Double Jeopardy! round. Matt dominated the J! round like he normally does but as always DJ! is where most of the money is so this one proved decisive.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

I wasn’t able to watch last night and was spoiled by the J! email this am with the subject line “Until Next Time, Matt Amodio!” Sigh…
On FJ, I thought for a few seconds, then went with Austria.
Sort of glad to see Matt gone; the “what’s X” got a bit old and gimmicky. No disrespect to him, just ready for new faces.
VoluptuousLoser
Valued Contributor

Post by VoluptuousLoser »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:37 pm
Woof wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:07 pm She’s convinced that Matt threw FJ, but I think that he was simply off his game.
I realize that the people who think J! players ever throw the game are less likely to know how it tapes, but anyhow, I think it would make more sense to throw a Friday game than a Monday one. Why give up a day in order to get up in the morning and go through the whole green room spiel and warm-ups and whatnot, just to lose the first game of the taping?
Moreover, why would anyone throw a game? If someone doesn't want to continue playing, they can just walk away. The show can't force them to play, can it?
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

VoluptuousLoser wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:09 pm
Woof wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:07 pm She’s convinced that Matt threw FJ, but I think that he was simply off his game.
I realize that the people who think J! players ever throw the game are less likely to know how it tapes, but anyhow, I think it would make more sense to throw a Friday game than a Monday one. Why give up a day in order to get up in the morning and go through the whole green room spiel and warm-ups and whatnot, just to lose the first game of the taping?
Moreover, why would anyone throw a game? If someone doesn't want to continue playing, they can just walk away. The show can't force them to play, can it?
Well that would certainly be interesting to see what the show would do if someone walked part way through a game.

If I had to guess, I would think the show would go with something such as stating something happened and player 3 couldn't continue, and the game will carry on with 2 players. Depending on how the walk-out played out, some other editing might be necessary.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
VoluptuousLoser
Valued Contributor

Post by VoluptuousLoser »

triviawayne wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:31 am
VoluptuousLoser wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:09 pm
Well that would certainly be interesting to see what the show would do if someone walked part way through a game.

If I had to guess, I would think the show would go with something such as stating something happened and player 3 couldn't continue, and the game will carry on with 2 players. Depending on how the walk-out played out, some other editing might be necessary.
I wasn't thinking that someone would walk out *during* a game, although that's interesting to think about. I was thinking more along the lines of someone winning a bunch of games and just deciding to walk away. Maybe they get tired of traveling back and forth for tapings. Maybe their job gets in the way. Maybe family obligations get in the way. Maybe they just feel like giving someone else a chance. Maybe they're heading into a long hiatus and just don't want the stress hanging over them. Who knows? I guess it's never happened.

The post I was responding to described a situation where the player enters the game intending to lose. That's what I can't imagine happening, because you can always just say "I'm done" at the end of a game.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I can’t imagine someone quitting in the middle of a tape session but I guess they’d treat if like a triple zero game and use an alternate to fill out the field.

If someone did decide to “resign”, they’d probably do it between sessions. Going on and losing on purpose just to get off the show seems like poor form to me. It makes for an unfair game and denies another person a shot at being on the show that would have played if the champ had simply called in and quit. I wouldn’t have a problem with TPTB kicking them out of the TOC if they had admitted to taking a dive.

I doubt Matt did that as he would have won on a TS. Jonathan was forced to bet huge and Jessica betting big from second when she didn’t have to wasn’t surprising.

I hope nobody takes this the wrong way, but I hoped Cindy Stowell’s run would end with her continuing to win until she simply no longer had the strength to do so.
Last edited by Bamaman on Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I would venture that the contestant coordinators have dealt with players who have tried to exit mid-game and have developed strategies to keep contestants who have lost their enthusiasm up on the stage.
Golf

Post by Golf »

All this talk suggesting a player would simply quit is beyond ludicrous.

Let’s see, I’m averaging $200k per taping day. But I feel like giving someone else a chance. Or, I’m averaging $40k per game but it’s just too stressful. It’s not worth it.

If I ever get the Jeopardy opportunity, please let me face an infinite number of contestants with this thought process.