Monday, October 11, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MSTieScott
Contributor

Re: Monday, October 11, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MSTieScott »

An unusual coincidence:

In Matt Amodio's first episode, the sole player in first place going into Final Jeopardy! made (and won with) a rare all-in wager.

In Matt Amodio's final episode, the sole player in first place going into Final Jeopardy! made (and won with) a rare all-in wager.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

45R. 4/4 on big clues. I tried to think of countries in the Alps, realized it couldn't be Switzerland, Italy, or France, and guessed Austria.

Missed Nice and said Marseilles. Missed Lady Bird Johnson and said Laura Bush, missed nematode and said tadpole.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are colicky, The French Lieutenant's Woman, The Dutch House, melodrama, and cavalier.
opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:22 pm I wonder if they changed up the person who throws the switch to let players ring in. ... Maybe ordering that change was the first directive of the new EP?
Interesting idea. Could be?

My thought was that he looked tired. You get excited before a big day, sleep poorly, and then go through the big day tired. Probably happens to a ton of contestants and that was what it looked like to me. The miss on gaggle and Venom strike me as simply being tired.

Great run by Matt Amodio. Congratulations to Matt Amodio for the run and great game by both Jessica and Jonathan.

Everybody in the green room waiting to play has to be thrilled after watching the record-setting buzzsaw leave early.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

They probably would accept picky/nit-picky for the fastidious clue.

I was spoiled on Matt losing. Judging by his wager from third place, I think he did well to enter FJ from the lead so many times and mitigate any harm he could have done himself betting.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

My wife called it. Early in DJ she said “Matt’s going down.” I was less sure of that, but began to believe when he didn’t find either DD2 or DD3. She’s convinced that Matt threw FJ, but I think that he was simply off his game. For someone so dominant on the buzzer to be out buzzed by both opponents seems to point to the problem lying with Matt. Since this game would have been the first of the taping day, maybe he didn’t sleep well?

Easy FJ. Apart from Österreich, the only country in which you’ll find both the Danube snd the Alps is Germany.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

seaborgium" wrote: I was spoiled on Matt losing. Judging by his wager from third place, I think he did well to enter FJ from the lead so many times and mitigate any harm he could have done himself betting.
I was thinking Jonathan would be the one to wager 5000 on FJ. Based on what he did wager, I'm not expecting him to last through the end of this week.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

My wife looked at the New York Times website today and saw the headline that Matt had lost. Luckily I wasn't spoiled and she didn't say a peep about it until FJ when she said she had to recuse herself from answering.

These guys like Ken, James, and Matt seem so consistent and robotic that it's hard to comprehend they can just be off, but I think that's really all it was for Matt today. He just got into a funk and couldn't get out of it. Credit to Jonathan and Jessica who both played very well.
Last edited by This Is Kirk! on Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Category 13 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:23 pm
seaborgium" wrote: I was spoiled on Matt losing. Judging by his wager from third place, I think he did well to enter FJ from the lead so many times and mitigate any harm he could have done himself betting.
I was thinking Jonathan would be the one to wager 5000 on FJ. Based on what he did wager, I'm not expecting him to last through the end of this week.
Oh yeah?

P.S. You left in a quotation mark next to my name, thereby dashing to bits my ideas that you either had a "simplified quote" setting checked, or were manually quoting people by typing in the tags yourself. Why do you trouble yourself with stripping out the quotation marks, post ID, and post time every time you hit the quote button?
idearat
Valued Contributor

Post by idearat »

Both second round DJs were instagets for me. I was yelling at the TV when Jonathan made timid wagers. Even if he was unsure of the categories I was surprised he didn't take a bigger risk. Even though, even if Matt had got FJ, Jonathan would have won.

Matt did seem to be down/depressed the last third of the show. Was he not used to being behind? Having an off day?
I got the bronze on Jeopardy!
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

As so many times before, I was very impressed when Matt took his characteristic long pause, reached into the well, and came up with Boise on clue 15 of the game. I believe his first mistake was on clue 17, when he responded to A flock of geese...on the ground or in the water with flock...But when his opponents couldn't come up with gaggle I figured he'd be OK (even though he shouldn't have been DD-hunting in the Potpourri category anyway, right?). Then he didn't catch a DD, but when FJ was a category he seems to like I thought maybe he'd still pull it out....Then...The Polish Alps...?? Yes, I think he was tired...
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Woof wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:07 pm She’s convinced that Matt threw FJ, but I think that he was simply off his game.
I realize that the people who think J! players ever throw the game are less likely to know how it tapes, but anyhow, I think it would make more sense to throw a Friday game than a Monday one. Why give up a day in order to get up in the morning and go through the whole green room spiel and warm-ups and whatnot, just to lose the first game of the taping?
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

Lefty wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:26 pm
AntmanB wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:40 pm I knew it wasnt Poland cause it was too Obvious. Sound of Music also lead me to Austria, but i wasnt sure if it was right.
Whatever works for you, but I don't see how Danube or Alps would lead anyone to Poland.

I also missed any spoilers, so was able to play from the archive in full suspense. I guess I'll go watch now for the human interest value.
just that the Invasion of Poland Started WW2 so no way it would Probably be that, especially in a FJ.
RetiredDoc

Post by RetiredDoc »

Got Austria because of the talk of sectors in The Third Man.
Really surprised Matt missed this one since he was strong in history and geography
silverpie
Contributor

Post by silverpie »

Austria I got from Alps/Danube, plus knowing it was a country Germany had annexed (four sectors originally registered as Germany itself, but they could hardly annex themselves…) Poland’s a bit removed from the Alps.
tddeveryday
DIY Problem Solver

Post by tddeveryday »

My FJ guess was Hungary. My mistake was focusing only on "Danube" and ignoring all the other hints.
My lucky numbers are 6, 66, and 666.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I was very surprised by Johnathan winning considering after getting Matt's called first thousand-dollar clue in Jeopardy round, he immediately went to the $200 clue. That seemed like a total greenhorn move.

My first thought on hearing fj was that it was too easy. It could only be Austria. I considered Switzerland but knew it was neutral during both world wars and there would have been no reason for the Allies to partition it. Poland is a terrific head-scratcher because not only is it not near the Alps, it was not under the control of the three Western allies.

For me, the real suspense of the game was the Daily Double hunting in the double jeopardy round. That was key. Matt's Daily Double hunting didn't work. Jonathan seemed to find both Daily Doubles back-to-back almost by accident. Again, when he bet only $2,000 on the first Daily Double, I thought he was going to be no match for Matt if Matt had found the second Daily Double. Of course, if Jonathan had bet more than $2,000 on that Daily Double, he would have lost to Jessica.

My quibble with the game was the clue about bushels. A bushel is a unit of volume, not weight. Obviously a bushel of sand weighs more than a bushel of feathers.

Or maybe the big surprise of the day was the wild card Red Sox beating the best team in the American League.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

floridagator wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:43 am
Or maybe the big surprise of the day was the wild card Red Sox beating the best team in the American League.
Off topic - I think the Ravens 19 point comeback in the 4th quarter may trump a baseball game which is usually a 70/30 proposition no matter which teams cue up.

On topic - I spent my TV time on MNF, and just came here to play the FJ. I probably won't watch the episode later. Kudos to Matt for the needed diversion and his cool collected brilliance.
I guessed Yugoslavia even though I knew Tito was tougher than the Russians or the Germans. There has to be some basis for all that Serbia/Croatia/Montenegro/etc.. crap. Yeah, Danube/Alps is exculpatory. I didn't know about the different regions in Austria and just assumed it was Hitler's homeland so he just took it.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
yclept

Post by yclept »

I read that this game was taped after a two week production hiatus. Matt was in quite a groove before that. I can see where that might throw someone off….
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:54 pm The FJ! clue had me make a bad switch to Liechtenstein in overthinking/underthinking and not thinking as well as I crossed off the correct response in doubting it was really that easy. Keep it simple; I failed to do that.
Liechtenstein?!? How do you carve that country up? With an Xacto knife?
yclept wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:24 am I read that this game was taped after a two week production hiatus. Matt was in quite a groove before that. I can see where that might throw someone off….
Yes, he was back after a few weeks off: ‘Jeopardy!’ champ Matt Amodio’s epic winning streak ends at 38 games and $1.5 million

He was a joy to watch, but I gotta say I will appreciate having some fresh faces up there.
DanKirshner
Contributor

Post by DanKirshner »

Okay, I am going to say something controversial. I was glad to see Matt lose, but not out of animus towards Matt. He is obviously one of the best players ever. He respects the game and his opponents. I found him to be modest, personable and likable. I just wanted to see another player get a chance to win.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Congrats to Jessica, who played well enough to win in almost any setting.

Congrats to Jonathan for joining the Zerg and Emma on a very short list of superchamp defeaters. His recovery from the missed DD and the quick rebound to DD3 was a break, but he made it count simply by keeping Matt on defense. Paired with the cover bet for FJ and the solve, he sewed it up.

I thought someone would have to double up on a late DD to even have a chance to beat Matt, but it wasn't his best night. He looked a little rattled after finding himself trailing for one of the only times in his whole run.

Matt is just the champ the beleaguered show needed right now. He was an impressive player, funny, charming, etc. I'm sure we haven't seen the last of him and he would have to be favored in a TOC.

For my part, I went with Czechoslovakia after figuring Austria was too easy.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan