Tuesday, October 12, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Foretopman
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, October 12, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Foretopman »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:40 pm I’ve thought a lot about the casting process and I’m no closer to understanding what TPTB are looking for in the auditions.
(clicking the 'like' button)
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Foretopman wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:49 am
morbeedo wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:40 pm I’ve thought a lot about the casting process and I’m no closer to understanding what TPTB are looking for in the auditions.
We've had many a subthread on this topic, but we can get back into it for newcomers or those who want the refresher course...

In what I think is a reasonable ordering:

1. Diversity on any of a number of levels (gender, ethnicity, occupation, geographic origin--for any given tape date, the contestant coordinators are trying to fit together a puzzle to ensure diverse contestant casting)
2. Character (as in, "this person is quite a character"--could be emotivity, could be backstory, could be any other distinctive trait that makes for good TV)
3. Good character (as in, "this person isn't going to try to cheat or otherwise embarrass the show")
4. Telegenicity (having good looks a plus, but at bottom, try to weed out contestants with a serial killer's soulless gaze)
5. Loud and clear enunciation of responses
6. Convincing evincing of having fun playing the game (don't make the whole thing look like a downer experience or a stress test)
7. Buzzer ability (as tested in mock game)
8. Ability to come up with reasonable, even if wrong, responses
20 or so. Trivia knowledge base (aka ability to pass written test and/or get correct responses in mock game)

#1 in the list above narrows the number of slots for what must be the largest contingent of auditionees, the ones long ago given a four-letter acronym, but there are still plenty of them on the show, so, it's by no means disqualifying.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:04 am
We've had many a subthread on this topic, but we can get back into it for newcomers or those who want the refresher course...

1. Diversity on any of a number of levels (gender, ethnicity, occupation, geographic origin--for any given tape date, the contestant coordinators are trying to fit together a puzzle to ensure diverse contestant casting)
2. Character (as in, "this person is quite a character"--could be emotivity, could be backstory, could be any other distinctive trait that makes for good TV)
3. Good character (as in, "this person isn't going to try to cheat or otherwise embarrass the show")
4. Telegenicity (having good looks a plus, but at bottom, try to weed out contestants with a serial killer's soulless gaze)
6. Convincing evincing of having fun playing the game (don't make the whole thing look like a downer experience or a stress test)
20 or so. Trivia knowledge base (aka ability to pass written test and/or get correct responses in mock game)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

earendel wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:04 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:12 pm Extra points to anybody who got the Nahum -> Capernaum connection. I whiffed on that one trying to think of disciple-related towns that started with N. I knew Nazareth was wrong but couldn't come up with anything else.
I'll take those points (since I did so poorly in a couple of the categories). Capernaum is the Anglicization of K'far Na'um, literally "village of Nahum".
Interestingly, there is this in (yeah, yeah, I know) Wikipedia: "Kfar Naḥūm, the original name of the town, means "village of comfort" (כְּפַר נַחוּם (Kfar Nahum)) in Hebrew, and apparently there is no connection with the prophet named Nahum."
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

heppm01 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:40 am Tough FJ - seems like it was a YEKIOYD. Best I could do was Macmillan, which was at least founded by two brothers.
I had no idea at the reveal of the clue, but after about 20 seconds, was able to figure it out from the wording "published magazines with their name"
Total game show career losings = $171,522
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Rackme32 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:28 am I don't find it strange at all, though. Her family is full of Bronx-Jewish folks, who practically all pronounce it that way no matter what part of the country they're in or from. I wouldn't be surprised if Mayim even used the Yiddish word "plotz" on the show someday.
Perhaps, but it seems like most kids pick up the accent used by the general population in the area they grew up in, rather than the accents their parents use.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:04 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:52 pm Usually it is good news when I match the champ in the FJ! round. Not today, as I went for humor to avoid a blank page.
Sadly, Penguin Bros Publishing never... took off.
:roll: But Penguin Magazine? I'd subscribe. Does it have a fold-out?

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:47 am I guessed Harper purely from the magazine angle. It only struck me later that I know Harper (Collins) is also a well-known book publisher as well.
I also started with magazines before book publishers, but landed on Collier. Oops.

seaborgium wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:57 am Robinson-Gissette's Twitter bio says they/them, so let's get the pronouns right. (Also they refer to themself in the plural, which I think is interesting.)
Well, they started as a tetragamete.
Last edited by AFRET CMS on Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

AFRET CMS wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:02 pm Does it have a fold-out?
Does it have a fold-in?
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:15 pm
AFRET CMS wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:02 pm Does it have a fold-out?
Does it have a fold-in?
Hope not. I was one of those who ruined their computer screens when Mad went to ezine only.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
pamelajaye
Contributor

Post by pamelajaye »

heppm01 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:40 am Tough FJ - seems like it was a YEKIOYD. Best I could do was Macmillan, which was at least founded by two brothers.
Is there a guide to acronyms around here? :-)

I've only read through a page and a half of comments so I can just hope that this isn't the wrong place to ask

Does anyone recall the type of chimerism the contestant with the long name had?

Someone on Facebook called it a rare disease and I was like, I don't remember any diseases... I had to think about it for a minute. They really didn't discuss what that adjective meant, much as Mayim seemed excited. Chimerism isn't something you come across often. Even watching multiple medical dramas where you are more likely to see it come in real life, I remember it once, sometime this fall, possibly on New Amsterdam. I guess they didn't have enough time.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

pamelajaye wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:34 pm Is there a guide to acronyms around here? :-)
https://j-archive.com/help.php#yekioyd
pamelajaye wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:34 pm Does anyone recall the type of chimerism the contestant with the long name had?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chimera_( ... _chimerism
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

AFRET CMS wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:02 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:47 am I guessed Harper purely from the magazine angle. It only struck me later that I know Harper (Collins) is also a well-known book publisher as well.
I also started with magazines before book publishers, but landed on Collier. Oops.
Yeah, bad luck. Not much reason to pick one over the other. I certainly didn't know the Harpers were brothers.
pamelajaye
Contributor

Post by pamelajaye »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:46 pm
pamelajaye wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:34 pm Is there a guide to acronyms around here? :-)
https://j-archive.com/help.php#yekioyd
pamelajaye wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:34 pm Does anyone recall the type of chimerism the contestant with the long name had?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chimera_( ... _chimerism
Thanks!
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:04 am

#1 in the list above narrows the number of slots for what must be the largest contingent of auditionees, the ones long ago given a four-letter acronym, but there are still plenty of them on the show, so, it's by no means disqualifying.
I think you're right. And 20 for knowledge base is rather high for a game show these days. I think that's why Matt, an excellent player who would likely be ToC material any year, had so many games that weren't just runaways, they were over by the first commercial break.

Once they encouraged people to attach a picture to the test profile, it was mostly over for people like me. Of which there are far too many. Fifty-something computer nerds who feel rather self-conscious standing out must be quite over-represented in the test pool. I switched pictures to something a little goofier I did on a vacation, hopefully that helps. But if I ever do get a call to test/audition, I'm considering going to the local university theater department and hiring a student to tutor me in being loud and clear without shouting (I'm hearing impaired, so this is a real concern).

This has to be soon, because pop culture is becoming more and more a weakness every year. I used to worry that getting older would slow my brain down. It doesn't... yet. But I have so much less interest in things like movies and television. And with music already being an unusual weakness for me, I'm probably not going to be able to compete with the younger people much longer.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I was confused about the "tetra" in the adjective when it was about two zygotes coming together, but I realized that the adjective also referenced gametes, two of which come together to make a zygote, so now it makes sense to me.

Also, I've just jogged my own memory regarding a fascinating (though certainly terrifying at the time, to be sure) legal complication regarding a woman with undetected chimerism and her children, and it was easy enough to find the story: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lydia_Fairchild
tddeveryday
DIY Problem Solver

Post by tddeveryday »

Come to think of it, that's exactly how I solved it as well. I started with names of magazines and didn't even consider book publishers. If I had started with publishers, that might have got me in trouble.
My lucky numbers are 6, 66, and 666.
davey

Post by davey »

Got Capernaum just because I've always liked the way it's pronounced... :geek:
But I mixed up chevaux with cheveux and guessed barber... :oops: Well, barbers did once provide medical services... :roll:
Wrote Harper down, but out of desperation, since Harper Brothers didn't sound right...As pointed out above, Harper & Brothers was the name. Adding to the uncertainty, the name hasn't been in use since 1962... :roll: Harper's Magazine never came to me, but luckily I stuck with the response...