Tuesday, October 12, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Tuesday, October 12, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by morbeedo »

Ingrate was really a TS?

Harper, also on a WAG

I’ve thought a lot about the casting process and I’m no closer to understanding what TPTB are looking for in the auditions.
Sherm
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Sherm »

Hard to tell after two games how high Mr. Fishers trivia IQ is, I mean the George Washington survey DD from yesterdays game isn't a very difficult question, but one thing is for sure.

Beating Matt Amodio and being able to buzz in first on 60% of the questions tonight. He's strong on the buzzer and that will make him hard to beat.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

41R. 2/4 on big clues. Guessed Dentistry instead of Veterinarian but figured it was wrong as soon as I said it. Wrote down McMillan for FJ. There is a publisher named MacMillan and it was founded by brothers but they're British. Lots of stuff for me to go learn from this game.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are off-off Broadway, Adam Levine, jib, Illuminated, and the White Tower. Did poorly on WHO DIRECTED IT? and EDUCATION FIRSTS. Need to go review those ones.

Fun bonus fact: October Sky is an anagram of Rocket Boys.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Another Random guess here. I thought since the guys grew up in the same house, they named their company after the family abode. Turns out it was founded by Bennett Cerf. He said he and his partners were going to publish books at random, hence the name.

A strong showing by Jonathan to avoid the superchamp slayer curse.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:56 pm For those who are interested in trivial contestant superlatives, at 17 characters, Robinson-Gissette has the longest given name of any contestant in the Archive. I bumped the nickname field character count up (from 15 to 20) in the database so that we didn't have to abbreviate it.
And easily a contender for best lightpenmanship. That needs to be included somewhere.
morbeedo wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:40 pm Ingrate was really a TS?
-In-grate would've been wrong. 'Grate' was the TS :D

Penguin for final, because if you can't be right, be funny! Even on the reveal only low-moderate recognition.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

tddeveryday wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:52 pm Harper was a WAG for me. Thankfully, it broke my streak of bad luck after five incorrect FJs in a row.

There seems to be less celebration of the players since the beginning of season 38. There was no acknowledgement that Jonathan ran two categories ("Let's Introduce the 'Band'" and "Who Directed It?"). They've been adding applause in post-production since the beginning of Covid, but I haven't seen any applause for any big DD wagers or an excellent performance at the end of DJ! The recent executive producer-related turmoil is probably the reason for this.
Just FYI, the category sweep applause used to be incited by Johnny Gilbert. We were instructed in the audience (my 2017 visit) to be quiet except for two times: when Alex took the stage, and when someone ran a category. He would gesture and clap for us to follow. I don't remember if there were "Applause" lights. It is a real time dynamic response that would not be convincingly dubbed.
The second part of the equation is that vertical category calls have gotten scarce, even without James H or Matt O demolishing the bottom two rows first. I suspect that when there is a real audience present (or is there now?), the sweep recognition will resume. Maybe the host will announce it as the trigger.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

No guess at FJ. I couldn't get off of Pulitzer because of the Joseph name, but refused to use it as the "anything" guess.
I missed the Monday dragon slaying, but gotta say that Jonathan's got game.
Twelvefootgirl thought Robinson-Gisette sounds like Michael Jackson. Whereas I had him at more Mike Tyson, going just on his Simpson's character.
Note to self - Chimera doesn't mean what I thought it did (that's a big tent). I'm glad that R-G got over the bad guesses at the beginning of the show.
Um, I may be crossing a line here, but I don't miss Alex's hosting of the show. At all. Mayim is doing fine. I think even LeVar Burton would have adapted fine.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Mayim did not cut him off when he tried to take a second bite of the apple. Trebek used to do that.

Final was instaget for me. I immediately thought of Harper Brothers and their magazines Harper's and Harper's Bazaar.

I wanted to see Brittany do better but it was not to be. She needed not to blow that question about corporal punishment and then find the Daily Double and bet big.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

Guessed Scribner (as in Charles Scribner’s Sons) for FJ. Sigh.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:06 pm Kathryn Bigelow was my only get in Who Directed It? NHO half of the films mentioned.
Worth noting that all 5 of the directors in that category were women, and that the category was not called WOMEN DIRECTORS. I assume that was an intentional choice.

With that information, and the 5 clues used in the game, take a guess who the subject of the J6! clue:
Spoiler
She directed "Marie Antoinette" and "Lost in Translation"
Correct response:
Spoiler
Who is Sofia Copolla? (The other 2 choices were Jodie Foster and Greta Gerwig.)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I guessed Harper purely from the magazine angle. It only struck me later that I know Harper (Collins) is also a well-known book publisher as well.

Did anyone else think it was strange that Mayim would pronounce "singer" like "sing-ger?" She grew up in Southern California, not New York.
twelvefootboy wrote:Twelvefootgirl thought Robinson-Gisette sounds like Michael Jackson
Yeah, I got a bit of an MJ vibe from their voice, too. Very soft spoken.
Last edited by This Is Kirk! on Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:47 am
Did anyone else think it was strange that Mayim would pronounce "singer" like "sing-ger?" She grew up in Southern California, not
She pronounced it to rhyme with finger. Very strange.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Robinson-Gissette's Twitter bio says they/them, so let's get the pronouns right. (Also they refer to themself in the plural, which I think is interesting.)

I was stuck on Harper. I couldn't get "Harper Brothers" to ring a bell in my mind (only the current conglomerate name HarperCollins), but it was the one name that felt at all right, and I'm thankful I stuck with it. (Harper & Brothers was the name of the company at one point.)
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

This Is Kirk wrote:
twelvefootboy wrote:Twelvefootgirl thought Robinson-Gisette sounds like Michael Jackson
Yeah, I got a bit of an MJ vibe from his voice, too. Very soft spoken.
I thought he was a vocal dead ringer for Jackson. I wanted him to speed up his clue selection though. That they got through all 30 clues in the J round and 29 in DJ was astonishing.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:47 am I guessed Harper purely from the magazine angle. It only struck me later that I know Harper (Collins) is also a well-known book publisher as well.

Did anyone else think it was strange that Mayim would pronounce "singer" like "sing-ger?" She grew up in Southern California, not New York.
I also WAGged Harper based on Harper's Bazaar. Shocked as all heck when it turned out to be correct.

Like Alex's "Genre", maybe up the road "sing-ger" will get its chance to be shown all strung together on YouTube someday.

I don't find it strange at all, though. Her family is full of Bronx-Jewish folks, who practically all pronounce it that way no matter what part of the country they're in or from. I wouldn't be surprised if Mayim even used the Yiddish word "plotz" on the show someday.
yclept

Post by yclept »

Strong game for Jonathan. I was hoping he would go big on DD3, but can’t blame anyone for protecting their big score. I wouldn’t mind two more wins and a TOC berth. Part of that is because it sets up a potential rematch with Matt. Part of it is because we need the TOC field to start filling.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Volante wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:06 pm
And easily a contender for best lightpenmanship. That needs to be included somewhere.
isn't it a stylus these days?
Total game show career losings = $171,522
earendel

Post by earendel »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:12 pm Extra points to anybody who got the Nahum -> Capernaum connection. I whiffed on that one trying to think of disciple-related towns that started with N. I knew Nazareth was wrong but couldn't come up with anything else.
I'll take those points (since I did so poorly in a couple of the categories). Capernaum is the Anglicization of K'far Na'um, literally "village of Nahum".
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

earendel wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:04 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:12 pm Extra points to anybody who got the Nahum -> Capernaum connection. I whiffed on that one trying to think of disciple-related towns that started with N. I knew Nazareth was wrong but couldn't come up with anything else.
I'll take those points (since I did so poorly in a couple of the categories). Capernaum is the Anglicization of K'far Na'um, literally "village of Nahum".
Nice! Full marks.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

Tough FJ - seems like it was a YEKIOYD. Best I could do was Macmillan, which was at least founded by two brothers.