Wednesday, October 13, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, October 13, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Golf »

mungar wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:20 pm The logic on the FJ bets is sound.
Is that sound fingernails on the blackboard?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Ironhorse wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:12 pm The Seventh Day Adventist clue was tough. Christian sects are a wheelhouse category for me and I was at sea there.
Yeah, you had to put it together that most high school football games are on Friday night and the Seventh Day Adventist sabbath starts at sundown on Friday. I didn't do this on a conscious level, but SDA was the first thing that popped into my head. I might've said that for a DD but clammed for this as a regular play clue, even after being offered the rebound from JW.

Mayim implied that he decided to break the SDA sabbath when he got to college. But is this necessarily true? Don't the bulk of college football games start after sundown on Saturday? Maybe he could've worked something out.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

College football times are at the mercy of TV. He played at Colorado, so they might try to avoid night kickoffs later in the season.

I looked her up and Mary is a pastor in the Church of the Brethren. That’s a new one on me.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

We’ll, that FJ wager worked out for Jonathan but that’s about the most that can be said for it. Mary’s at least has some logic behind it. A definite comedown from the last few weeks worth of gameplay. Here’s hoping that Jonathan recovers and puts together a few more good games.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

42R. 4/4 on big clues. I did much better in the DJ round than the J round. My favorite Yogi Berra quote is "No one goes there nowadays, it’s too crowded."

Missed Seventh Day Adventist and said Jehovah's Witnes, missed charity and said justice, missed prune and said plum, missed 3-2-1 Contact and said Sesame Street.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are ragweed, Norman, nodule, Pteranodon, and synod.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:54 pm
Mary is a pastor in the Church of the Brethren. That’s a new one on me.
That is an anabaptist sect akin to the Amish and Mennonites. Their churches have no windows. Interestingly enough, Brethren are forbidden from watching TV. I don't know how much that is enforced.

Question for the judges. I said foreign affairs. I also over tricked on Vichy and said vichyssoise.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:42 pm The game was a little uneven and rough in spots, but there will be 10 worse ones by the time the season is over.
Not exactly a ringing endorsement there: 11th worst out of 230
Ironhorse wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:54 pm
DBear wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:58 pm judges:. Ministry for Missionary on the DD? :?:
I would say no.
Ditto to no. Ministry feels more staying 'in house' and tending to the flock. Missionary work is going out to bring more sheep in; it's a specific thing in the sect (e.g., that whole 'Book of Mormon' musical)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Volante

Post by Volante »

floridagator wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:56 pm
Bamaman wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:54 pm
Mary is a pastor in the Church of the Brethren. That’s a new one on me.
That is an anabaptist sect akin to the Amish and Mennonites. Their churches have no windows. Interestingly enough, Brethren are forbidden from watching TV. I don't know how much that is enforced.

Question for the judges. I said foreign affairs. I also over tricked on Vichy and said vichyssoise.
Foreign affairs, no. It's a proper name: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Senate_Committee_on_Foreign_Relations
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Bilal's full name is almost a palindrome.

Bilal's wager is the closest to unassailable here. Jonathan led by $3,200 while he had $5,400, so he had to get above $6,400 in anticipation of a normal cover wager from Jonathan. And if the minimum you need to have is above what you've got, you might as well bet all or most of it. Bilal came through, sparing only $5.

Mary decided to do the catch-up wager, which is reasonable if her score and Jonathan's are the only ones in consideration, but it let Bilal back in it. If she was going to do that, she might as well have left $6,401 or thereabouts behind; she was just shy of four-fifths position, so she couldn't quite wager double her $3,200 deficit to overtake a lead-wagering Jonathan, but $6,200 would tie him if he undershot by rounding his lead down to $3,000.

Jonathan, of course, did round his lead down for his wager, but even further, to $2,500. (Note: I can't actually say whether "round my lead down" was Jonathan's methodology; that's just an observation of how his bet compared with his lead.) I think if he wasn't going to cover Mary, he should have bet less than $1,400 (stay ahead of Mary on a miss if she keeps Bilal locked out and gets it right) or just under $3,200 (stay above Mary on a miss if she bets $0, and also stay above Mary on a double get if she bets near $6,200 as detailed in the previous paragraph).
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

As the contestants might also, I question the placement of the $400 clue in FOOD FORWARD.

I work at a grocery store, and even more specifically, the frozen food section, which is where you will find Caulipower pizza crusts, making this an easy clue for me. But I would say, even with all the time I spend at the supermarket, occupationally or not, I probably wouldn't have known this if I works in ANY OTHER DEPARTMENT in the store. Knowing the everyday foods that are most often substituted with cauliflower, rice would be at the top of my list, making it a good guess. Bread wasn't a bad shot-in-the-dark either. Flour? Not so much... I think one of the writers might believe their gluten-free grocery shopping is indicative of everyone else's.

I'm curious as to how the boardies fared on this clue as well.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:18 am As the contestants might also, I question the placement of the $400 clue in FOOD FORWARD.

I work at a grocery store, and even more specifically, the frozen food section, which is where you will find Caulipower pizza crusts, making this an easy clue for me. But I would say, even with all the time I spend at the supermarket, occupationally or not, I probably wouldn't have known this if I works in ANY OTHER DEPARTMENT in the store. Knowing the everyday foods that are most often substituted with cauliflower, rice would be at the top of my list, making it a good guess. Bread wasn't a bad shot-in-the-dark either. Flour? Not so much... I think one of the writers might believe their gluten-free grocery shopping is indicative of everyone else's.

I guessed flour right off the bat and felt fairly confident. I'm curious why that ranks lower on your list of plausible guesses. It made sense in my head, anyway, and I was surprised when it got negged. Pizza crust seemed rather arbitrary with nothing in the clue pointing in that direction except maybe... boys like pizza?
yclept

Post by yclept »

That wager from Jonathan takes a lot of guts - essentially betting on Mary betting small. That said, if you are going to do that, I think your assumption should be that Mary would bet to lock out third. That isn’t what she did. In the end, it turned out to be two random wagers from 1st and 2nd, with 1st getting lucky.

The DD being hidden in the $800 slots opens up a big opportunity and neither player takes full advantage.

All this said, Jonathan is a win away from securing the 6th guaranteed TOC slot.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:18 am I'm curious as to how the boardies fared on this clue as well.
Put me down for being just shy of a yelling at the tv moment.

I could tolerate the rice response. But how many of you know kids or teenagers who crave rice? But pizza? You bet. And what could be worse than having celiac disease and craving pizza? Cauliflower crusts are also popular in vegan and vegetarian cooking.

Then again, perhaps I watch too many cooking shows.
--Peter
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

yclept wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:22 am That wager from Jonathan takes a lot of guts - essentially betting on Mary betting small. That said, if you are going to do that, I think your assumption should be that Mary would bet to lock out third. That isn’t what she did. In the end, it turned out to be two random wagers from 1st and 2nd, with 1st getting lucky.
Mary's wager wasn't random; she was down $3,200 and bet $3,300. I would guess that on the occasions where second place bets more than they should, the "catch up to the leader" bet, which Mary did, is the second most common type after all-in (lumped together with most-in).

Other second place FJ overwager types include "nice round number," "shoot for a nice round number," and "maximum (or almost maximum) to keep third place locked out even though third place is too far down to have a chance." (My dad won with the first and I lost to the second: the power of solo gets.) Are there any others?
Leander

Post by Leander »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:18 am

I was leaning to pizza since I couldn't think of another branded cauliflower product, but might have clammed on this one. But I used to work in the food industry. I'd agree it was misplaced on the board.

In general, I'd say I've found the FJs easier than usual this season, and the boards harder than in past years.
Volante

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:45 am
BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:18 am As the contestants might also, I question the placement of the $400 clue in FOOD FORWARD.

I guessed flour right off the bat and felt fairly confident. I'm curious why that ranks lower on your list of plausible guesses. It made sense in my head, anyway, and I was surprised when it got negged. Pizza crust seemed rather arbitrary with nothing in the clue pointing in that direction except maybe... boys like pizza?
Flour as well. They make cricket flour, so why not cauli-flour? Plus flour makes bread, pizza crust...all those other guesses
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:18 am I'm curious as to how the boardies fared on this clue as well.
I said pizza right away (but with low confidence). My wife and I have made a couple of cauliflower crust pizzas.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

No problem here. I do the grocery shopping & I have seen this in the frozen pizza aisle. I then thank God 🙏 that I can still eat pizza with actual wheat & flour crust.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I developed celiac about a year ago so I am aware that cauliflower crust pizza exists. It's actually not bad, believe it or not. Not nearly as good as wheat crust though.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:35 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:12 pm The Seventh Day Adventist clue was tough. Christian sects are a wheelhouse category for me and I was at sea there.
Yeah, you had to put it together that most high school football games are on Friday night and the Seventh Day Adventist sabbath starts at sundown on Friday. I didn't do this on a conscious level, but SDA was the first thing that popped into my head. I might've said that for a DD but clammed for this as a regular play clue, even after being offered the rebound from JW.

Mayim implied that he decided to break the SDA sabbath when he got to college. But is this necessarily true? Don't the bulk of college football games start after sundown on Saturday? Maybe he could've worked something out.
I approached it from the wrong direction. I was thinking that either it was an ascetic group that disapproved of sports in general, or maybe a pacifist group that would have disapproved of the violence in football.

College football games take place throughout the day on Saturdays, but most take place before sundown. Living in a major college town, I'm well aware of when traffic shuts down. :lol: