Thursday, October 14, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, October 14, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, October 14, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
U.S. HISTORY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
On Sept. 30, 1788 William Maclay & Robert Morris, both of Pennsylvania, were chosen as the first 2 these

Jonathan Fisher: 23100+900=24000 (4x = $94,000)
Aline Dolinh: 3600-3600=0
Ray Kimball: 10200+10195=20395

Correct response:
Spoiler
(U.S.) Senator (Aline – delegates to the Constitutional Convention??? :))

Daily Doubles
Ray: 0+1000
Jonathan: 9800+2500
Aline: 2200+2200

Coryats
Jonathan: 21400
Aline: 2600
Ray: 10000

Combined: 34,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Jonathan: 7800
Aline: 200
Ray: 4200
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Argh--crossed out the correct response to put Aline's response, although neither response seemed right to me. It seemed too late for the latter and too early for the former.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Mayim could have told Ray drop and give me 20 for that shoe store/ military storage stumper.

The contestants did not quite have their TV processors working for the TV Findlay clue.

Whatever works: I matched Jonathan for the FJ! clue without it ever occurring to me to include the more specific Ray gave to make it a better response.

4 wins for Jonathan. Sweep the week and sew up a ToC spot tomorrow? Today has him below John Focht and $103,800.
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:52 pm 4 wins for Jonathan. Sweep the week and sew up a ToC spot tomorrow?
If you believe the official site, Jonathan will have already sewn up a ToC spot after today's game:
All 4-time and over winning players starting from 01/05/21 will be eligible for a future Tournament of Champions
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Eligible or guaranteed, here it is: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7166

Ray double underlined his FJ! clue response and I have no idea how to code it.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:16 pm Ray double underlined his FJ! clue response and I have no idea how to code it.
For future reference, this seems to have worked, to my total shock:

Code: Select all

<u style="text-decoration-style:double;">double underline</u>
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I put electors, not catching the significance of there being two men named until it was too late.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:26 pm I put electors, not catching the significance of there being two men named until it was too late.
Ditto :(
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:26 pm I put electors, not catching the significance of there being two men named until it was too late.
I did too, though September seemed early to be naming electors.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

My first thought was associate justices, but I thought it was unlikely that they would be chosen before Washington took office. It turns out that the first four AJs were appointed in September of the following year. I was finally able to realize the significance of two people coming from the same state and wrote down the correct answer at the last second.

I was so hoping that Blossom would show up in the TV Titles category, just to see how Mayim would react if no one got it right! :lol:
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

The writers seem to be on a university town kick. They had Kansas = Lawrence a week or two ago; yesterday Oklahoma = Norman, and today NC State = Raleigh. It's possibly an overlooked study topic.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

My first thought was also electors, but crossed that off in favor of senators given the use of "2" and "both from Pennsylvania".
Robert K S wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:56 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:52 pm 4 wins for Jonathan. Sweep the week and sew up a ToC spot tomorrow?
If you believe the official site, Jonathan will have already sewn up a ToC spot after today's game:
Given what happened the last time a 30-day champion and the player that defeated them became Tournament eligible, I'd say at this point Jonathan is in regardless of what happens tomorrow or beyond. Should he lose tomorrow, 4x/$94k would simply be the convenient cut-off target.

I'm happy for Jonathan in any event. He's been rock solid all week.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
DysonSphere

Post by DysonSphere »

U.S. First... Two of them... both from the same state... around the founding...

Didn't feel this FJ was terribly difficult.

The military locker triple stumper had me going all Lee Ermey shouting at the television from home.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

41R. 3/4 on big clues. Said electors. Oops.

Missed All By Myself and said I Will Always Love You, missed Newport and said Providence, missed Fujita and said Fujimoro, missed Lithuania and said Latvia. Probably would have gotten Newport if I were in the studio and could see the categories. Was probably thinking of Fujimori the Peruvian political family and misspelled it.

Google says Lithuania is 25,212 sq. mi., Latvia is 24,938 sq. mi. Real close. 1.09% difference in size. Hmm.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are Voting Rights Act, Maude, hope chest, Perry Mason, and The Alienist.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:52 pm
The contestants did not quite have their TV processors working for the TV Findlay clue.
Both Maude and All in the Family have basically been forgotten. All in the Family was the number one show on TV for I think 5 years but it's no longer watched much, does not come up in TV trivia contests often, and its DVDs don't sell well. A parallel show from the 80s is the Cosby Show, which was number one for at least as many years but did not do well at all in syndication. Its star was revealed to have a secret other life, and beyond being generally forgotten has been willed out of the memory of people who actually do remember it.

Only nine months ago, you yourself agreed with me that Maude has been forgotten:
viewtopic.php?p=347327#p347327
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

floridagator wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:07 pm
Both Maude and All in the Family have basically been forgotten. All in the Family was the number one show on TV for I think 5 years but it's no longer watched much, does not come up in TV trivia contests often, and its DVDs don't sell well. A parallel show from the 80s is the Cosby Show, which was number one for at least as many years but did not do well at all in syndication. Its star was revealed to have a secret other life, and beyond being generally forgotten has been willed out of the memory of people who actually do remember it.

Only nine months ago, you yourself agreed with me that Maude has been forgotten:
viewtopic.php?p=347327#p347327
The processing being off was Aline in guessing Archie when the clue wanted a Ms. She seemed to have the right show area and missed the gender hint. Ray with June was thinking who knows what? Hope it was not Leave It to Beaver.
davey

Post by davey »

MB doesn't always seem to have absorbed the clues even while reading them. In the clue about "Peck's this," after the triple stumper she came down hard on "Peck's" as if that had been the expected response, rather than part of the clue...Knowing "bad boy" as Old Slang there made me feel old... :cry:
Much more egregious to me was when the clue read that the word meaning "to shun" "sounds like it means to chomp on something," and she pronounced eschew like a sneeze, not with the ch so that it sounds like chomping... :roll:
I thought it was beside the point that she explained that popular election of Senators was later, when the tricky part of the clue was that 1788 seems early for the Constitution which took effect in 1789. It might have been better to say that PA ratified the Constitution in December 1787. I didn't consider any answer but Senators though...
davey

Post by davey »

floridagator wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:07 pm
If that's true it seems odd to me that I've seen about 18 tributes to Norman Lear in the past few years...Including those live recreations of Lear shows like AITF that aired just a couple of years ago, to good ratings...But then I admit, I have recommended All in the Family to young people who weren't too familiar with it...