Why is "Jeopardy!" unsuccessful in other countries?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Why is "Jeopardy!" unsuccessful in other countries?

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I've noticed that nearly every other major game show of American origin tends to spawn multiple international versions. There are still international versions of Wheel of Fortune to this day, and Blockbusters was a far bigger hit in the UK than stateside, to name just two examples.

But when it comes to Jeopardy!, foreign versions seem a lot fewer in number and a lot less successful. What is the reason for that?
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Re: Why is "Jeopardy!" unsuccessful in other countries?

Post by Ironhorse »

I would wager to say that Alex Trebek's personality had an outsized role in the show's success.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Ironhorse wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:49 pm I would wager to say that Alex Trebek's personality had an outsized role in the show's success.
That's probably true, but why has the personality of the host made such a difference in Jeopardy! and not in other shows? I would've predicted that Jeopardy! is the least host-dependent of our major domestic game shows.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Because of "The Chase".
Douglas Squasoni
mas3cf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mas3cf »

All the clues are in foreign languages, which makes them WAY harder.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

mas3cf wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:37 pm All the clues are in foreign languages, which makes them WAY harder.
Nicely done!
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Re: Why is "Jeopardy!" unsuccessful in other countries? seriously.

Post by DBear »

Because other countries don't "get" the answer-in-the-form-of-a-question format. UK especially, they think it absolutely silly & don't take J! seriously. 🤡
yclept

Post by yclept »

DBear wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:10 pm Because other countries don't "get" the answer-in-the-form-of-a-question format. UK especially, they think it absolutely silly & don't take J! seriously. 🤡
If this is true, they could simply change that part of the show and essentially have the same exact show. Just make all the clues questions.
Golf

Post by Golf »

It’s the universal polar opposite of soccer.
Leander

Post by Leander »

I’m pretty sure there are/have been a number of trivia quiz shows in the UK over the years and probably they don’t see the need to import another format. After all, Who Wants To Be a Millionaire started there. Other countries I couldn’t comment about.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

The flip side of this coin is, why has it been so successful here, and will it continue to be successful in the future?...
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:07 pm The flip side of this coin is, why has it been so successful here, and will it continue to be successful in the future?...
I'm doing my part! *squishes cockroach*
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

yclept wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:26 pm
DBear wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:10 pm Because other countries don't "get" the answer-in-the-form-of-a-question format. UK especially, they think it absolutely silly & don't take J! seriously. 🤡
If this is true, they could simply change that part of the show and essentially have the same exact show. Just make all the clues questions.
then it wouldn't be Jeopardy, they could name it something else, and not deal with any licensing issues.

Which brings me to licensing, it could be the cost and what is required to produce J in other countries makes it not something production companies in those countries are willing to do. Might be best to have a list of what other countries have had it, where it has succeeded, and where it has failed.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Caboom

Post by Caboom »

triviawayne wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:42 am Might be best to have a list of what other countries have had it, where it has succeeded, and where it has failed.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeopardy! ... l_versions